Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Routes confusion on keyhole rock, Garden of the Gods
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

coclimber26

Aug 16, 2003, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Routes confusion on keyhole rock, Garden of the Gods  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Garden_of_the_Gods)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Going through 3 guidebooks for the GoG, all 3 are different on the lower toprope area of the east face of keyhole rock. The routes in question are angel dust, rocket dust, pig dust and suprise. Most of the pitons from the first ascents have disapeared. There is one promenant route with 2 pitons and a bolt that apears to be angel dust 5.10b. Bob D'Antonio's falcon guide for the area says the next route to the right is pig dust 5.11d but after climbing it, it feels like suprise 5.8. The next route further right he has as rocket dust 5.10b but another guide has sloping shelves 5.7. I agree with the 5.7 but I'm wondering where the other two routes are? Anyone with knowledge please reply..

dylanscott

May 19, 2004, 4:02 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Re: Routes confusion on keyhole rock, Garden of the Gods [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know where you're talking about. I had the same confusion as you. I thought I was climbing a 5.10b and zipped right up it. I agree it seems more like a 5.8. I don't know if they are the right climbs or not. I know this doesn't help you any, but thought I'd let you know that you're not alone!

coclimber26

May 19, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Re: Routes confusion on keyhole rock, Garden of the Gods [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

most of the routes that used to have pitons don't anymore so I use one of the only routes that has bolts. In the center of the wall is a route with two bolts and a piton and is either rocket dust or angel dust? It felt like a .10- I can see a lone high piton 15ft. to the left and assume that it is the .11 in the guidebook (looked harder). To the right of angel dust are some ledges that are around .8...total confusion.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook