RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

neleh

Apr 23, 2002, 11:55 PM
Post #1 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

GAMES & TECHNIQUE
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am needing some different ways to teach young kdis at an indoor gym technique and fun climbing games, anyone with ideas?

mpepera

Apr 24, 2002, 12:03 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

GAMES & TECHNIQUE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about for kids as this can require a lot strength and endurance, but for a continuing education class I was teaching, we played twister with the wall. However since there are only four colors for Twister we made our own spinnner encompassing each color we had.

This was great fun for students and instructors alike. Depending on the kind of holds you have on different sections of the wall, you can even handicap people!

Mike

neleh

Apr 24, 2002, 1:25 AM
Post #3 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Mike yep that sound likfe a great idea , I am impressed

joemor

Apr 24, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #4 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im making a spinner as i speak.

joe

vaness

Apr 24, 2002, 1:56 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

play the matching game.
make a rout with some hard holds and some big jugs(without marked feet)
have them do the rout matching n everything then have them do the rout without matching at all. it gets techneque rossing and foot placemens and obviously matching
not that great of a game but it works

mountainrat

Apr 24, 2002, 2:13 PM
Post #6 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vaness- you always put yourself down a bit at the end of your posts- cut it out, girl! LOTS of your ideas and thoughts are really unique and cool

Games- for footwork, yesterday we did lots of traversing, concentrating on moving the hips and feet in order to set up for the next handhold, to make a bad hold useful, etc. We did not allow ourselves to move a foot placement once it was set- like a chess move. I did a few, then my partner did them and added some, etc.

sugarbaby

Apr 24, 2002, 3:04 PM
Post #7 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let them challenge themselves-and eachother. one person starts with one move, the next does the last move and one more. the next does the first two and adds one of their own. you keep taking turns adding on till it's impossible. lots of fun, especially with people (kids) on the same level. small groups are best though, 2-3 maybe four max.

orangeleader

May 8, 2002, 12:58 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It isn't the most awesome game, but you can have 2 kids- one climbing the wall and another one not. The one who's not points out a hold that the other kid goes for. When the kid who's climbing falls off, it's the other's turn.

vaness

May 9, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #9 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i play that game all the time
exept i dont really play i make people point out holds for me and they make it impossible..like they point out a hold 17 feet away

crux_clipper

May 9, 2002, 11:52 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best game to work on technique is called Take-off. Basically, take a chunk of the wall, have a starting hold and a finishing hold. Use all colours to get from start to end, then take a hold out, and the next person has to get from start to finish without using that hold, and so on.

We managed to get a 3-4 meter 30degree boulder problem, down to a dyno from 2 featured pockets, feet in a small divot in the wall, to another pocket about 1.5meters higher. Seriously cool game. Teaches good footwork, and various hand holds.

Partner calamity_chk

May 9, 2002, 1:51 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a thread similiar to this over in the general forum.

Despite that the other thread was intended for entertaining kiddos who are outside, I'm sure you can take some of the ideas therein and apply them to the gym.

Best of luck!

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-05-09 06:53 ]

justgoupfromthere

Jun 10, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if it would improve your teqnique but one day a group of friends and I played "horse." One person does a hard move, like a dyno or a really long static move to a crimper, or a campus to a sloper, you get the idea. Then everyone else has to do the same move, and if they can't then they get a letter. Just like the basketball game. It was pretty fun.

I was reading the other posts and I've learned a bunch of cool things to do when I go to the wall now. Thanks

Anxious to Ascend

a510poser

Jun 10, 2002, 8:13 PM
Post #13 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try playing boulder golf. You just have each person pick a starting and a finishing hold on what ever section of wall that strikes their fancy this will be the "hole". Then everybody tries to finish the hole using the least amount of holds/strokes. If you fall during your attempt you add that score to the next attempts score (not good). The scores for each hole are tallied and the winner is the one with the least points. Its easy to equalize the playing field by assigning a handicap of 1 or 2 pts per hole to the stronger students (2 points is hefty). This game is a good exercise for sequencing and planning from the ground. Have Fun!
SteviDx

verticallaw

Jun 10, 2002, 9:33 PM
Post #14 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We always play add-on when at the gym. Get one person to do a move and stick it... they hop off and the next person to do the same move and stick it adds on a move after ( must stick the move for it to count) this keeps going until no one can stick the moves done. Great for technique and seeing different style ie: my partner is much shorter than I (o.k. vertically challanged ) so he does lots of funky tight moves. I love laybacks and heel hooks (he does not) so you can force the other person to try new moves that they normally would not.

Also in the gym we will climb the same route 3-4 times in a row (laps) and than blindfold the climber and see how far they get on memory.

rock-l0ver
Deleted

Jun 10, 2002, 11:13 PM
Post #15 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sometimes play "addons" while im at the wall. Its basically like follow the leader. You select two hand holds and your feet can go anywhere, then the next person does your two holds and then adds on their two and so on and so on... you just have to remember that if your playing this with kids they might not be able to reach as far as you.

/edit verticallaw: you basically said what i was gonna say

[ This Message was edited by: rock-l0ver on 2002-06-10 16:15 ]

catga86

Jun 11, 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put tennis balls in both hands as they are climbing that is a fun and also good for your hands kind of game.
Do 1 arm or 1 leg climbing that is fun.
Play tag on a traverse. Put a starting position and let the first person have a place where after he hits that hold the other person starts chasing. That is fun.
You can do speed climbing. First person to the top gets a cheapo prize.
Blind folded climbing. That is a fun way of climbing.
When the indoor gym starts to get bored, take them outdoor climbing. That is agreat way to get them really hyped up about climbing.
If your kids who you are teaching start to get restless or bored. Try to get them to do something different with climbing, or sometimes they need a small break. Hacky sack is a great way to blow off some steam.

Cat

bigfish03

Jun 11, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #17 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tag: any numbers of climbers, all low, so no-one needs rope. the goal it to tag other climbers feet without getting tagged. really fun. as you traverse accross the wall, you try to touch other climers feet or shoes. you could give points for every time you tag someone

in a differnt game i played once, everyone partnered up. on a specific secition of the wall good for traversing, the two kids start at opposite ends. the goal is to cross eachother and each make it to the other side. give them bounderies on how high they can go, so they are forced to come up with creative ways to cross over each other. this game will teach differnt things, including good resting, teamwork, planing moves ahead of moving, and good technique.

hope this helps

ryan

need_for_climbing

Jun 13, 2002, 6:22 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neleh , Ryans idea is nice. I played it with my collage friends in our schools gym. But ur gym needs to be fully connected. Ours have a roof so its quite an endurance training for us. But if we'r tagged or falled off the wall then we have to do 10 pull ups. So this game also teaches u to conserve energy when climbing. Just look out for some injurys here and there. Sometimes i have friends fallin on top of other.(Espacially under the roof.
So take care and Climb on

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook