RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

nolan14

May 23, 2004, 1:38 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5193 views)
Shortcut

Looking for experienced helpful mentor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was hoping that I could find someone with expeirience to help and mentor me. As some people know I made stupid decisions and am short on both knowledge and pro. Thanks for help! :D :D

Partner mr8615

May 23, 2004, 1:42 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for experienced helpful mentor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing is better than learning firsthand from someone who is safe, experienced and knowledgeable, but reading The Freedom of the Hills will save both you and your future mentor a lot of headache. I would recommend it to anyone who is involved in climbing or mountaineering no matter what their experience level is. It's a great book with a lot to think about and keep in mind. There is a lot of additional literature out there too, it would be worth your while to do a lot of reading and research before putting skin to stone again. Best of luck in finding a mentor!

Mark

shorty

May 23, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was hoping that I could find someone with expeirience to help and mentor me.
That is one of the greatest posts I've even seen on this website. No sarcasm here -- I mean it. Too many people to not have the guts to admit they lack knowledge and need experience.

You've been beaten up a bit for your prior posts, yet you continue to come back for more "assistance". I must give you points for being persistent.

I'm a little far from your neck of the woods to be any real help with first hand instruction, but I suppose I could try to help as a sounding board if you wish. Best of luck finding someone local to "show you the ropes."

By the way, another book option for picking up climbing knowledge is John Long's "How to Rock Climb." Books help, but you really do need the mentor.

OK people -- anyone in Wyoming willing to lend this kid a hand?

nolan14

May 23, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, I checked out Freedom of the hills from the library, it was really useful, thanks for your support so far. :D

dlintz

May 23, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #5 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freedom of the Hills is a good reference overall but I found it "lacking" with regards to anchors and multipitch situations. Definitely check out the many books by John Long. His books are great at explaining different situations.

Of course personal instruction by an experienced climber is unbeatable. Good luck in your search.

winglady

May 23, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bob -
Since your profile says you live in Cheyenne, I'd suggest you might be interested in the Colorado Mountain Club. They have a Ft. Collins Group that does a lot of hiking, climbing, etc. in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming. There is also a Junior Mountaineers section aimed specifically to teens wanting to get out and climb & to learn more about safety.

It's a non-profit organization, but there is a cost to join the club. However, compared to taking commercial mountaineering courses, the classes they offer are extremely inexpensive (they are all taught by experienced volunteers). You don't have to take a class from CMC -- they also have lots of trips you can participate in as a member.

Their website is a bit unwieldy to navigate, but it is: http://www.cmc.org

Or, call them at (800) 633-4417 and ask questions of a real person.

We've met many great people through this club who taught us all sorts of climbing, hiking, skiing, and mountaineering skills. Over time, we became the volunteer instructors and trip leaders passing along information to newbies. Many people we've met through the club have become long-time climbing partners and close friends. Hopefully you'll meet some mentors and climbing friends and give back to others someday as well.

Good luck -- and climb safe!

Partner rrrADAM

May 23, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make a similar post in the Partners Forum for your Region. Or better yet, PM me, and I will move this one for you. You'll stand a better chance of getting a partner/mentor in the Partners Forums.

bandycoot

May 23, 2004, 7:57 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freedom of the Hills is a great book, as are John Long's books. It is very important to read up on these before going out to the crags again. I'm glad that you are investing time into your safely. That's possibly the best investment you can make in this sport!

Partner nextascent

May 24, 2004, 2:50 AM
Post #9 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good luck getting a mentor ...you're on the right track! (asking). I'm very new to climbing. Chain of events? Here (lurked a while), then got the two books mentioned in this thread. Then hiked two very popular climbing areas and started asking questions. Next thing I know I've got someone offering to teach me some basics and join them in the gym and outdoors. I have found that experienced climbers are purty dang supportive if you're willing to do your homework and are sincere about learning (as you obviously are).

rrradam is right about moving this request as well....that's where i got a few invites (knowing I do not have exp).

Have fun!

Partner angry

May 24, 2004, 3:40 AM
Post #10 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As someone who grew up learning to climb in Cheyenne, I've got to tell you, it's tough.

There is a climber who's willing to teach around every corner in Laramie, yet Cheyenne, maybe a dozen total guys that do not qualify as gumby's. I'm going to contact some of them with their permission I'll PM you some contact info. Give me a couple days, I'll try to find you a partner.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook