RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

guitar256

Jun 3, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

slack faq
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there one? For noobs.

With a cool name like there there ought to be. :lol:

maculated

Jun 3, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Re: slack faq [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can make one. What questions do you have?

sullerito

Jun 3, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cheapest (and easiest) way to set one up. For someone who has no clue.

materials and methods.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 3, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Problem is, there is are a lot of different opinions on cheapest & easiest. A lot of the time you have to do a lot of research because each person may have slightly different needs. Some people need longer lines, others want light weight, some people are ok with needing another person or two to help pull while others go solo so must have a higher advantage while other soloists slack on loose lines so they don't need much leverage.

In many cases the less hardware you use, the less pulling power you get so you need more people pulling to get a line equally tight, so easiest and cheapest can contradict each other.

As for a start for your research, how about this:

Do it yourselfers (yes I know that isn't a word)

3:1 using 1" webbing
http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/...ne_systems/index.htm
Needs webbing and 2 biners - more biners will help.
The page has lines to a 9:1 for much more pulling power.

Ellington (3:1 using a combo of 1" and 9/16" or 5/8" webbing and 2 or 3 biners)
In reply to:
The biggest difference between the Ellington and the Ethos system is the use of 9/16ths super tape and the fact that you don't have to put each consecutive loop under the first. Simply clip the line around in a circle three times and pull. The outside line slips under the inside lines and locks off. I always clip two carabiners to the clove hitch (it makes it easier to get the knot out). If your not walking 9/16ths, at this point you could change to 9/16ths by clipping one clove hitch biner to a loop at the end of your Ellington line and then clip the anchor and back to the second clove hitch biner. Back to the anchor in a circular manner, three times round. Make sure when you are done you are pulling facing the line, not the anchor and make sure your circles favor whether your pulling up or pulling down.

Commercial companies selling slacklines (in no particular order)
Slackline Express - http://www.slacklineexpress.com
Not for Climbing - http://www.notforclimbing.com
Ethos Climbing - http://www.ethosclimbing.com
Asana Packworks - http://www.asanapackworks.com
Slackline Brothers - http://www.slackline.com

You can usually get some really nice features and/or some serious pulling power with the commercial lines and in some cases they are cheaper than making your own dedicated setup.

Disclaimer: you shouldn't use your climbing webbing to set slacklines, then use it for climbing again. It stresses it out so it won't hold shocks from falling anymore. At least one biner maker has told me not to use carabiners for slacklines then for life saving duty afterwards - so when calculating costs, figure in dedicating your hardware to that purpose.

guitar256

Jun 4, 2004, 1:46 PM
Post #5 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what would be a good length of webbing to start with, and how much cord/rope would I need to set up either the 3:1 or the 9:1 systems?

And, could someone better explain how to make the release hitch, I can't figure it out from that picture.

killclimbz

Jun 4, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #6 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he, I thought the title of this said slack fag...

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 4, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #7 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So what would be a good length of webbing to start with, and how much cord/rope would I need to set up either the 3:1 or the 9:1 systems?

And, could someone better explain how to make the release hitch, I can't figure it out from that picture.

Like I mentioned before, everyone has different needs. Your choice of method effects the amount of gear you need quite a bit.

A beginner line is usually about 20 to 30 feet long but 50 - 100 foot lines aren't rare anymore, so you'll have to have the maximum distance you plan to walk in a single strand. If your tensioning method uses 1" to create tension you'll have to add whatever distance you need in the tightening system by counting the distance away you set it and add the times it is going back and forth and add some extra to hold onto and and to tie off so add 15-20 ft more. Then you'll need whatever anchor webbing you'll need, say 6 to 10 ft depending on the size of your anchors of course or you can set a sling on both ends and get a more flat laying line.

If you search through the threads here you'll see recommendations ranging from 40 to 80 feet total (sometimes more) for a 3:1 system that uses 1" in the tightening system.

For the Ellington, you'll need less 1" (just the distance you'll be walking) and need about 20-25 foot of 9/16". The advantage to it is that the smaller webbing creates less friction so you can get more power from the same type of setup.

For either the 3:1 or Ellington setups you can stage additional setups behind that previous pulley system for additional pull.

For the 9:1 - same idea as estimating the webbing for the Ellington + you'll be using rope in the tensioning system and some sort of ascender or prussik knots.

By now your probably figuring out why some people find pre-bought lines are good to at least consider - they come with everything you need and are advertised by walkable distance and usually come with good instructions and support.

Release hitch:
You don't need a release hitch on most lines, just those that are exceptionally tight and where the tensioning system doesn't allow for controlled release. Google is your friend.

Mariner's Knot - Release hitch
http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Mariners.htm

Or - Radium Release Hitch
http://www.ridgenet.net/...e/StretcherRevE.html

the_pirate

Jun 4, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #8 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much can one tension a slackline before it becomes tightrope walking and not slacklining?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 4, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #9 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How much can one tension a slackline before it becomes tightrope walking and not slacklining?

Even under huge tension a slackline will still bounce/stretch a lot and provide a significantly different feel than a tightrope/tightline. Thats why it's a dynamic balance sport/activity.

I've set ~100' lines only 5' high and it still had good bounce and stretch to it. Falling on a line with that much tension is scary as heck though.

areyoumydude

Jun 5, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #10 of 10 (17955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
he, I thought the title of this said slack fag...

:lol: :lol: That's what I thought. :lol: :lol:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook