Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Lumpy Ridge Questions...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

munckee

Jun 3, 2004, 1:27 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Lumpy Ridge Questions...  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Northern_Colorado: Lumpy_Ridge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Camping Situation?

Best guidebook?

Thanks!

flamer

Jun 3, 2004, 1:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lumpy Ridge Questions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are lot's'o place's to camp around Estes park- both pay and free.

Best guidebook is debatable, personally I prefer Bernard Gillets book-
RMNP "Estes valley" But If all you can find is Rossiter's "the crag areas" it's not too bad either.

I'll be up there the week before the 4th and may be looking for a partner.
I've got a big solo to do and need to get acclimated so maybe if your up for a high peak....

josh

jcinco

Jun 3, 2004, 2:16 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tough to find free camping options around Estes. I suggest you buy a good map of the area and then just take off on some forest roads 10-15 minutes from town, watching out for private property. Almost all the pay areas in Estes are of the "$15-$20/night plus swimming pool and arcade" variety. There's also a very nice forest service campground near Meeker Park.

Both the Gillet and Rossiter guides are good. Unless you're used to Rossiter-style topos, which are really nice, the Gillet guide is probably more user friendly (and more expensive).

sharpie

Jun 3, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or, if you want a bunk and a hot shower that's only a 4 minute drive from Lumpy, you could stay at the CMS hostel. I think the going rate is $10 per night but it's been a few years since I stayed there, may be more now. Call 970-586-5758 for more info.

bsignorelli

Jun 3, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We stayted at the Colorado Mountain School last August and it was $25/night. Great place if you need a comfy bed, linens, shower, and a place to lock your gear up.

from http://www.cmschool.com/stay.asp...

Lodging at the Colorado Mountain School

We have the most affordable accommodation in Estes Park. Our 16 bunk hostel has private bathrooms and showers and is located on the top floor of our building. Our building is the old National Park Service office and has a comfortable rustic look and feel. We charge $25 per bunk per night year-round. If you are an American Alpine Club member your bunk is only $20 per night.

flamer

Jun 3, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tough to find free camping options around Estes.

Unless you're used to Rossiter-style topos, which are really nice, the Gillet guide is probably more user friendly (and more expensive).

Actually finding free camping around Estes is pretty casual...I can try and give you exact location's but if you don't know the area my direction's might throw you off....

Do you really think Rossiters topos are "really nice"??
Personally I think they're crap as do the locals I know. It's intresting to hear from someone who actually likes them. It also seems as if Rossiter is of the "make a quick buck" type. Bernard did and does alot of research on his guides...rossiter always seemed to just jump on to make some money...with the exception of his boulder climbs north and south and their subsuqent division's(another money making ploy), his "Teton's classic's book was and is a total rip off, and it sucks balls.

Honestly if you want the best info on any route in RMNP your best bet is to cross reference both books(and Bernard's first one if you can find it).

I'll be in town the 29th of june through the 3rd or so...I can show you some free camping spots if your around then.
josh

munckee

Jun 4, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to try to book a site at moraine campground (probably too late, but hey) and it gives the option of a walk in vs. a car site. What's the difference between the two at this camp area?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook