Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping near Flagstaff/Sedona
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

salparadise

Jun 4, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 8 (25923 views)
Shortcut

Camping near Flagstaff/Sedona  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Central: Oak_Creek_Over_Look)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a good place to camp that will be central to good climbing areas in Flagstaff and Sedona (OaK Creek, Priest's Draw, The PIt, and anything else that you all recommend). Since I will be there for a few days, I would like to find a place that has fire pits and showers and is relaxing to hang out in (as opposed to a big dirt field at the crag). Any campgrounds fit that bill?

thanks,
Sal

also, anyone know how long it will take to drive from Vegas to Flagstaff (or Sedona)?

crimpandgo

Jun 4, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 8 (25923 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping near Flagstaff/Sedona [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know of any campgrounds with showers. There are nice campgrounds Along the road through Sedona. They usually fill up quick during this time of year. need to check the national forest web sites to find phone numbers.

Partner bill

Jun 4, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 8 (25922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might check and see if there is a KOA campground in Flag or Sedona, those are the only type of campgrounds that might have showers. None of the forest service campgrounds will have anything more than pit toilets. Also be aware that campfires are only allowed in developed campgrounds in the Coconino National Forest right now.

It should take you somewhere between 3-3.5 hours to drive from Las Vegas to Flagstaff.

joshklingbeil

Jun 4, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #4 of 8 (25922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a dirtbag climber so I can offer you no help but a bump.

climbingcam

Jun 4, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #5 of 8 (25923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there are a few options. In sedona you can go out 89 towards cottonwood, once outta town there is parking on either side of the road. Go to 89b, on the left side of road a few miles out of town, nice camping next to creek, good rest day spot becuase there isn't much climbing immidiatley around- save some stuff in west sedona.
Also in sedona, on the village side (hwy, 179) you can drive out past I-17 towards beaver creek. Nice swiming hole and if you go far enough free camping. Both of these places have no showers though.

In Flag there are also a few options. Down lake Mary road towards the pit and priest draw there is camping on the service roads. No showers. Also on the top side of the canyon from sedona, 89 is free camping. Pretty cool place, not too far from the overlook- basalt crack climbing.
Also, if you're going trad climbing go to paradise forks (towards williams). THere is camping out there too.
Pretty much anywhere it looks like you can camp, go for it. Unfortunatley they may be closing the forest privileges down soon due to fire danger, a fire may already be out of the question but perhaps not.
Oh yea, one more thing. Fuck the red rock pass. DO NOT BUY ONE!! If you find a 'ticket' on your window, promptly put it to good use and wipe your ass with it. It's a warning anyway.

joshklingbeil

Jun 4, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #6 of 8 (25921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Free Primitive Camping : Schnebly hill road above the scenic vista. But the last time I tryed the gate on the road was locked. Also off of Forest Service road 152c (road to the tropics) Left side of road only. I would say to any true climbing bums to park you car and hike at least 300 yards away from it and any trails....Keep a low profile...& Boycott the RED ROCK PASS. In Flagstaff their are many places to camp free with out a hassle.......Peace

climberchic

Jun 4, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 8 (25921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cam knows that area well, no need to look further.

As for the fire pits, 'round this time of year, all of Arizona becomes a fire pit, so as not to help it along any, I believe there is a campfire restriction in most of the major forests as of just before Memorial Day.

If anyone knows anything to the contrary, please post up. I have not the time to confirm!

hexitup

Jun 5, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #8 of 8 (25921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a KOA campground west of Flagstaff on I-40 a few miles before the turnoff for Paradise Forks. Otherwise take a shower at Slide Rock in Sedona.

Oh yeah, and the fire restrictions started last weekend (May 30)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook