Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing wall open to all, with the appropriate fees
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

omturbo

Apr 26, 2002, 11:27 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Climbing wall open to all, with the appropriate fees  (North_America: United_States: Iowa: Central_Iowa: ISU_Campus)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The ISU Climbing wall is open to the public, if they have a pass to Lied Rec, and then a pass to the climbing wall.
And yes, it is a climbing wall in a racquet ball court, with two walls of glass. It is the climbing fish tank.

hangerlessbolt

Apr 26, 2002, 11:36 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Climbing wall open to all, with the appropriate fees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't suppose you have to dodge racquet balls do you...that would increase the difficulty a bit.

krustyklimber

Apr 26, 2002, 12:51 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think that would increase the difficulty of both, the climbing and the racquetball!

Jeff

lowmaine

Aug 7, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know who I should contact (fees, times, etc) to get more information about using the climbing wall at ISU, and not being an alumni, student or faculty?

Thanks

pettsnjam

Nov 5, 2002, 1:39 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To climb at leid recreation center you can always contact leid recreation center about the rule but I know that if you know someone who goes to Iowa State you can have them sponser you to climb there and it is a lot cheeper that way.

Adam

dragonlii

Oct 27, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2626 views)
Shortcut

open to all, yeah.... whatever. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I joined the Iowa State University climbing club last year so I could use the Lied Rec Center climbing wall. I paid for a year's membership, THEN I found out since I was not a student I could only climb if I was a student/faculty, unless I had another student with me. The club also told me that as a member I would be able to go on trips with them, but since I was not a student, I couldn't ride in the van and share costs.... I had to drive myself at my own expense and meet them whereever they were going. I didn't bother asking them about using their equipment that was supposedly available to ALL members. I figured I already knew the answer. I decided to just "donated" to their fund, but I'll never have anything positive to say about them.
The short wall is textured; has a low altitude overhang, and a crack built into it. Same plastic holds as any place else. Nice padding on the ground; solid anchors. Many anchors, but the ropes a very close together. Don't stray off the routes, you'll be "re-directed." Very crowded the few times I was there; people just standing around talking and not letting others climb on their rope. Nobody leading. With few exceptions, there were a lot of so-called climbers exuding "attitude" with nothing to back it up. There were some serious people there, but they were far out-numbered by the pretenders.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook