Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Queen Creek Mining Proposal Threatens Access and Environment
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xclimber

Jun 6, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #1 of 1 (995 views)
Shortcut

Queen Creek Mining Proposal Threatens Access and Environment  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: Queen_Creek_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Friends of Queen Creek,

Some of you may have already reieved this email.  If you haven't sent your email to Renzi and Napolitano please take a few minutes and do so.

FoQC nees your help!  Please take a few minutes to send the following email (or your variation of it) to Rep Renzi and Gov Napolitano.  If you would like please add a few lines about your climbing history at Queen Creek and any other pertinent details.   This letter can be sent as it or feel free to write your won from scratch.  Just make surte you send them. 

Thanks

Paul Dief - Freinds of Queen Creek

===============================

E-mail address for Renzi - www.house.gov/renzi/issue.htm,
for Napolitano - www.governor.state.az.us/post/feedback.asp.

The Honorable Janet Napolitano

Governor of Arizona

1700 West Washington

Phoenix, AZ 85007

Dear Governor Napolitano,

The Honorable Rick Renzi

United States House of Representatives

2707 S. White Mountain Road, Suite E

Show Low, AZ 85901

Dear Representative Renzi,

My name is _________ and I live in ___________, AZ. I write today to express my concern that a legislative bill may be introduced in the U.S. Congress that will authorize a land swap affecting lands in the Tonto National Forest in the area of the Oak Flat Campground. This proposed swap would move easily accessible and highly popular public lands into the private hands of the copper industry. Resolution Copper desires this land swap to enable the mining of copper ore 7000 feet below the surface. Their proposal would forever prohibit public access to Oak Flats and the surrounding public lands.

I am not opposed to responsible mining that provides many public benefits, while at the same time protects the land. Resolution Copper (http://www.resolutioncopper.com) plans to use the “block caving*” mining method which will cause major subsidence and collapse of this popular public use area. Portions of the famous Apache Leap could also be irreparably damaged.

Oak Flats area hosts the annual Phoenix Boulder Blast (www.boulderblast.com )

which sees 2000 enthusiasts ever year, many who contribute to the growing tourist economy in central Arizona. Birders, climbers, campers, canyoneers, bikers, and hikers enjoy the area throughout the year, all of whom would be greatly harmed if these lands were forever taken from public access.

I strongly urge you to protect these public lands for the public’s future use and preserve the unique opportunities for Arizonans that the Oak Flats area provides.

Sincerely,

* The block caving method is used in mining large ore bodies that have a barren or low-grade capping too thick to strip away from the surface. In development, evenly spaced crosscuts are made below the bottom of the ore block to be caved, from which raises are driven up to the ore. The entire ore block is undercut so that it will begin caving into the raises. The weight of the capping and ore provides the force to crush and move the ore downward, where it is drawn from the raises beneath, trammed to the shaft or decline, and hoisted to the surface.

As broken ore is removed, the capping will gradually descend until broken fragments of it coming from the raises indicate that all of the ore has been withdrawn. The surface over the worked-out mine is a gigantic collapse feature, not as deep as the height of ore withdrawn, because of the "swell factor" of the broken capping, but considerably larger in diameter than the area actually caved underground.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook