RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

andy_reagan

Jun 6, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 3 (867 views)
Shortcut

HP40 summer bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How is the bouldering in the summer months (august specifically) at horse pens? For those that have bouldered there in the hot part of the summer was it worth it? Would you do it again?

Thanks. :D

kh_forty6

Jun 6, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #2 of 3 (867 views)
Shortcut

Re: HP40 summer bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was there 2 weeks ago, and all i can tellyou is that it was HOT. the problems get a little slick... but i had a blast. there is more than enough shade to keep it bearable. the one thing i'd consider is the chance of rain. we pulled on slopers all day and around 7:30 or so, a huge front rolled through and dumped on us. we were half way to oneonta to pick up some stuff, and turned arond to go back to the camp sight to rain proof it and put up the rain fly. it poured all night on and off but by 9am the next morning the heat had driedoff the majority of the problems we were working on. the other thing to consider is the humidity. it can be like trying to breathe water!! otherwise, if you can handle all that the place is stellar as usual!!!
hope you have a blast! 8^)

climbingnole

Jun 6, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #3 of 3 (867 views)
Shortcut

Re: HP40 summer bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up at Horse Pens over Memorial Day weekend. The person who posted above hit the nail on the head, especially about the rain. In the south you can almost expect an afternoon thunderstorm just about every day. We were up there for 4 days and only one of the day was totally clear.

The only other thing I'd mention is that Horse Pens gets really overgrown during the summer months. If you've been during the fall, coming back during the summer can be a bit of a surprise because it looks like a rain forest. Be sure to bring some powerful bug repellant.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook