RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

dynoclimber

Jun 6, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

[b]Huge pads[/b]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about buying the Franklin Mondo crash pad and I have a few questions about it before I spend my hard earned money on it. I hear that the foam in it can go soft after a short period of time is that true? Also, is it's size overkill? It's 6" thick which I think is really cool, especially for highball problems and it is so big it's probably nearly impossible to miss, but still, It might be a bit cumbersome to carry through a narrow trail. If anyone has this pad and has anything to say about it please do because I dont want to spend upwards of $250 on a piece of crap.
~Thanks

l0wnsl0

Jun 6, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [b]Huge pads[/b] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/product.php?p=388 check the reviews on it in the gear section. the reviews are usually very helpful

bighead

Jun 6, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend that had one but quickly set it aside. The thing was a pain in the butt. I don't know your situation but normally when I'm trying a hard problem I don't do it alone so there are more than enough pads to equal the mondo. I have the dropzone and I love it plus you can get it clearanced right now for 120.00 from REI outlet or Mountain Supply. Hope this helps.

dynoclimber

Jun 7, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/product.php?p=388 check the reviews on it in the gear section. the reviews are usually very helpful
I already checked there and the review wasn't what i hoped for so I decided to ask here. I wouldn't post something without doing the proper research.

In reply to:
I have a friend that had one but quickly set it aside. The thing was a pain in the butt. I don't know your situation but normally when I'm trying a hard problem I don't do it alone so there are more than enough pads to equal the mondo. I have the dropzone and I love it plus you can get it clearanced right now for 120.00 from REI outlet or Mountain Supply. Hope this helps.
Why was it a painin the butt? More info please.

Partner sevrdhed

Jun 7, 2004, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got it and I love it for problems that aren't a hike through the brush. Those are a pain. But it's SO nice to have under you for a highball problem. However, I got mine for $175 instead of the retail price. I personally think that it's worth it, however, if you don't like carrying 22 pounds of safety around, it's not for you. Also, you should have an SUV or a truck to carry it around, 'cause it's a pain to get in a car.

ericfrommichigan

Jun 7, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking about the Mondo as well, but after much thought I decided the following; for less than the Mondo I can get 2 Mad Pads, foam is thick and good (? from what I have heard anyway) and they have the 360 degree velcro so you can join them together. If I go by myself, I probably wont be trying any highballs anyway so one pad will be enough, going with a bud (most of them don't have their own pads) I carry one, he carries one bingo bango good coverage area. Just my $0.02 and what I am doing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook