RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climber_trev

Apr 26, 2002, 11:50 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

All cramped up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I've been climbing for 2 years now and starting to progress quiet nicely. The thing is the first half a year way good, i experienced a lot of my 'getting into shape' in that time, but for the last year to year and a half i've had nigling hip and groin injuries (the past 2 months have been injury free). But the main problem is cramps i experince when climbing, these tend to come and go for extended periods of time. I'm aware that flexability, anxiety (of a hard move or stress) and hydration are contributing factors and i feel than at certain times one or a number of these cause my cramps. the most annoying thing is not being able to fully throw everything at the climb when these occur, i do light warm ups and drink lots of water (i think i overheard something about salt levels or something is this right).

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me to investigate as this is majorly agrovating me when i can't do moves that arn't that hard and am forced to stop climbing for the session or a break.

Thanks for your input
climber_trev

bumblesbounce

Apr 27, 2002, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

All cramped up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speack to your orthopedic (or Pysical theripist) about some strecthes you can do. Strecthing out before you climb could help some.

FaWn LeMaY

miagi

Apr 27, 2002, 2:51 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, first off which im sure you know, stretch. Make sure you do a nice stretch and warmup if your muscles are bothing you. If it is necessary, even do a warm down after a climb. Secondly, water is essential with the cramp factor as you said. A substitute that I use is "Ultra Fuel" by GNC. Don't worry, it does not contain any hormones or creatine. It is perfectly safe. It is full of carbs and essential water soluble vitamens to help you recover. Best of all....it tastes great!
If you need a break, take one. Don't overstress your muscles. If you have a willing girl to massage you, that's good too

ratstar

Apr 27, 2002, 3:34 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eat some bananas. They have tons of pottassium. And pottassium helps do away with cramps. Trust me just eat some bananas on a regular basis and those cramps will be gone in no time.

climber_trev

Apr 28, 2002, 10:25 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey miagi,

if i had a chick to do that for one it would not be a problem and secondally i wouldn't be asking you guys for your help, anyway that's the way things go.

thanks for the info
climber_trev

ropegirl

Apr 30, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ratstar is right. A major cause of muscle cramping is electrolite imbalance (which can happen easily when you work out hard, sweat alot and overhydrate). It used to happen to me all the time when I was running cross-country. Sports drinks can help replenish your electrolites, but it's better to "cut" them with water (about 1 part Sports Drink mixed with 2 parts water). This will prevent your body from having to use water to digest the high-concentrate sugars in the drink.

A tell-tale sign that you are potassium and/or calcium deficient is if you have leg cramps while lying in bed at night.

Be sure you're getting enough minerals in your diet. A multivitamin every day, along with a balanced diet, is essential to maintining muscle health.

[ This Message was edited by: ropegirl on 2002-04-29 17:30 ]

climber_trev

Apr 30, 2002, 5:28 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the info it seems like what Ropegirl said about leg cramps could explain my problem.

I do drink heaps of water all the time, but i also sweat like crazy.

Thanks again
climber_trev

Partner iclimbtoo

Apr 30, 2002, 6:07 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ratstar knows the goods. That's the key. bananas. I know, sounds dumb? I'm in the peak of track season right now and seriously, I eat at least two bananas a day, usually three. One in the morning, one before I exercise (whether running or climbing) and then one right when I'm done. The potassium in the bananas helps to reduce the buildup of lactic acid within muscle tisse which is what causes most muscle cramps. However, I suggest eating some other fruits as well, to help balance electrolytes and natural vitamins, which aid in helping your mitochondria produce your "energy". Long distance running will also help as this will increase the oxygen amount that your blood carries, also improving and increasing the mitochondria production. Okay, that's all!

apollodorus

Apr 30, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, bananas.

climber_trev

Apr 30, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But I cant eat Bananas, they make me ill

any other suggestions?

Thanks
climber_trev

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook