RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

unabonger

Jun 5, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Detachment
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One of my favorite subjects of thought is detachment. Last night I noticed this quote from TS Elliot. I have no idea of the context but letting it stand on its own merits seems to work.

"For us there is only the trying, the rest is not our business".

UB

unabonger

Jun 7, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Re: Detachment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I heard a pin drop in here. Does that count as activity?

UB

jt512

Jun 7, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

UB

Lots of people have joined the group lately, but few have posted.

-Jay

iamthewallress

Jun 7, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

UB

Detach, man...Detach. ;-)

Actually, I've been finding that the mental things are moving pretty smoothy (compared to my usual) lately. I've found that making fun my focus lets me detach from a lot of the worries and hangups that hold me back. It lets me be less critical of myself, and actually enjoy the process of being critical of my performance.

Detaching somewhat from rc.com and the like has been helpful. Keeping the right balance of thinking about things vs. getting out and doing is good for keeping emotial space between me and the outcomes of my projects or the pace that I'm moving along my path.

dirtineye

Jun 8, 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Detaching somewhat from rc.com and the like has been helpful.

D@mned right.

I would have posted about the t s eliott quote, but I didn't know what to think of it. That may be why this is one of the berst forums-- people tend to think before they post heh.

BUt maybe, if one takes trying in the ts elliot poem to mean the process, or the iinvolvement, then it makes some sense? I dunno.

vivalargo

Jun 8, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the challenges of detaching is to make sure you're not passivly negating what is happening. You don't so much detach from the content of your ego mind as you don't fuse with it, mistake it as you and mistake yourself as the thinker of unbidden thoughts. You just accept whatever is thre without clinging to it and losing your sense of presence.

Vigilance, mindfulnes, call it what you like. It's a practice that needs reinstating 1,000 times a day.

Then comes the amazing idea: what agency woke up to the fact that you were "lost" in thought?

JL

unabonger

Jun 8, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

UB

Detach, man...Detach. ;-)

Interestingly enough, I was detached. Until you gave me the advice to do so. Then I became annoyed: "I'm not attached! Who is she to say I'm attached?!" Thereby proving my attachment. Now I'm back where I began.

Like VivreGrande says, its a 1000 reps/day excercise...

UB

dredsovrn

Jun 8, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It reminds me of what Steven Covey said about focusing on your sphere of influence, and then having that sphere grow. I know that it works professionally. Energy, even thought, expended on things over which you have no control is wasted. By focusing on what you can control and devoting your energy to that, your influence expands.

The same is true of climbing. It is easy to be distracted from what you can control. You can't control the conditions, but you can control your effort. The more you focus on your effort and giving your all to the climb, the greater your ability, and your effectiveness become.

iamthewallress

Jun 8, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can't control the conditions, but you can control your effort. The more you focus on your effort and giving your all to the climb, the greater your ability, and your effectiveness become.

There is a balance though.

The wise Brutus of Wyde introduced my friend Nurse Ratchet to two good folks, and she in turn introduced them to me: Boris Gudinoff and Justin Case. Ratchet and I found ourselves easily wooed by Justin Case's charms and good looks, but Brutus insists that Boris Gudinoff isn't such a bad guy.

When I'm climbing a splitter crack, I can control how good my pro is...and I often do well beyond what is "good enough" "just in case..." that thing that I can't control (a bee sting, a sudden fit of sweats, unpredicted pumpage, etc.) rears its ugly head. I think that a big key to the WW and the whole detachment thing that I've been working on is not invoking Justin Case when the things that I can control really are good enough and the things that I can't control are unlikely.

I think that it can be complicated to find the balance between accepting the uncontrolable risk vs. accepting it so well that I'm being riskier than I should be. For example, when committing to a run out where I shouldn't fall, these things seem key: 1. Be solid on the technique, 2. Have faith that I can do the moves once I commit. 3. Commit. Attachment to the need for security can nix #2 and then limit me from really committing. On the other hand, having faith and being wrong isn't such a good way to go either.

Excuse me...I think Justin is trying to give me a call right now.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook