RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

burns777

Jun 8, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Travel Security Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Posted this in the "Trip Report" forum bucause this seems like the place to get the answer I need...

I am a sport climber from the east coast. I am taking a trip to Arizona at the end of the week and thought I'd take my gear in case I had some time to sneek away. However, I HATE checking bags at the airport. THe question is, "will I get held up in security if I try to pass through with my rope, draws, and other gear?"

Anyone have any advice?

Leaving in three days.
thanks
-ryan

lostcause

Jun 8, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Re: Travel Security Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the same concern before. I had no trouble in the past carrying on my climbing gear but those instances were at airports like Colorado Springs and Denver where they probably see alot of that. In the Springs they simply chatted with me about where I was climbing while glancing through the bag.

Next week though I'll be trying the same thing leaving from Cleveland (to Denver). We'll see how easy it is there.

sarcat

Jun 8, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just took my stuff from UT to ME. I checked it just to be safe.

Partner drrock

Jun 8, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit

rockn_j

Jun 8, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flow around a lot with all my gear & never had a problem. They won't hassle you.

jefffski

Jun 8, 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they might ask if yu have any pitons. they don't seem to want those in carry on luggage.

if you are carrying a swhite gas stove i suggest cleaning the bottle and filling it with juice and carry it on. just duct tape over the danger labels.

epic_ed

Jun 9, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from Trip Reports to General.

epic_ed

Jun 9, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Re: epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my climbing buddies is the Senior VP for Freight Services at America West, and his recommendation is to check the luggage. Depending on which airport you're flying out of, it could be a hassle getting through security. Leaving PHX to fly back home, he is certain you'll get pulled aside to have your stuff inspected further if you are carrying that much metal on board. If it's just shoes, harness, and possibly a rope -- no worries. Throw in a dozen quickdraw, nuts, or cams -- you're going to get delayed.

Your call, but I'd rather not get hassled as it already takes FOREVER to get through security at Sky Harbor Airport. Hope you have a good time while you're here, but it's worth mentioning any climbing you may be hoping to do while you're here will be at least a couple of hours away. All the local stuff will be way too hot to climb. Expect to climb in temps in the upper 80s even if you head north to Flagstaff; 100+ if you play outside in PHX.

Ed

gds

Jun 9, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate carrying on more than a small bag.

I've been flying for business and pleasure for over 40 years. I always check bags and of literally hundreds of trips I have only had my bags arrive late three times. Never lost or damaged anything.

Maybe a sport rack will get through security but as I look at what I have I think it would be a hassle to get what I carry through. Nut tools, belay knives, etc. will all be a problem. And its all heavy to drag around. My view is "why bother?"

burns777

Jun 9, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Re: epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say, "too hot to climb" is that just the view of a local who can climb whenever he wants, or is it really so hot that climbing is not an option... I'm used to climbing in GA & AL where the summer temps are upper 80's and 90's with HIGH humidity...

I don't want to lug my stuff out there if I won't be able to use it... thanks for your help.

Also, for whatever it is worth, I'll be in Sedona if you have any recomendations for sport climbing in the area.

thanks again
-ryan

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook