RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner matt

Aug 14, 2001, 5:43 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

animals and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Depends on where you go. Dogs at the crags can be annoying, but at the same time if they're well behaved or if there are few people around it can be fun to bring your pets with you. It's your call; just make sure they don't get in the way of other climbers. Also, make sure there isn't a safety issue. Sometimes animals will get in the way and can become a serious hazard.

fiend

Aug 14, 2001, 5:47 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

animals and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally hate dogs at the crags, they slobber and walk over my gear.
If I won't let my friends step on my rope why would I let your dog?
Also, barking sucks, very annoying.

Of course there are some very well behaved dogs at the crags but hey, you're not really in the best position to decide if your dog is a good dog or not. Most of the owners with the really annoying dogs think that their dog is 'harmless'.

And they smell.

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 14, 2001, 6:02 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as long as they are quiet mine wines when I am on the rock he thinks I am going to fall little does he know.

kriso9tails

Aug 14, 2001, 8:10 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a general rule, I would rather not have them there, not because animals like dogs are annoying when you're trying to belay of rack up, but because their owners don't accept resposibility for them. Bringing your pet to the crag and letting it run around causing trouble for everyone is childish and irresponsible, not to mention irritating. I like dogs, but not snifing my crotch while I'm tying to belay.

phishphan

Aug 15, 2001, 1:45 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a great golden retriever who is very people friendly, and I used to bring him with me whenever I would climb. The place I climbed started getting really crowded and he would get nervous. So I started keeping him at home, because it became a distraction to my climbing. It was hard for me to concentrate on the rock and make sure he wasnt' getting into any trouble either.

manboy

Aug 15, 2001, 3:48 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i LOVE dogs, and i have heard about people getting upset when somebody brings their dog to the crag, but i have yet to see a dog at the crag that bugs me or anybody else i'm climbing with. once in mexico my friend's dog ate my lunch, but i mean that is my fault for leaving it accessable to where the dog could get it, i didn't get upset, in fact, i laughed cause it was funny! for SURE bring your dog to the crag, they are always awsome to hang out with and play with between burns. if i could afford one i would get one (i want to get a Greyhound).

dean585

Aug 15, 2001, 5:26 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as the dog isnt getting in the way of other climbers and isnt causing a distraction to either you or any other people then why not. Other than the dog posing a hazard to the safety of you or others by being a distraction, I dont see anything wrong with having dogs at the crags

litedawg

Aug 15, 2001, 4:20 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

General rule I try to follow that applies to the other string on music and this string on dogs;
Your freedom ends where your actions impose on the freedom of those around you.

I love dogs and I love music, but if they are getting in the way of others, they shouldn't be there.

I have a couple friends I mountain bike with and they insist on bringing their dogs on every trip we take. so we end up with five dogs running around camp, gettign into everything, pooping all over. It makes for a very unpleasant trip for everybody else.

coach

Aug 15, 2001, 5:22 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love dogs and having read the post have to agree with a lot that has been said by both sides. If you are close to your dog why not have him/or her at the crags to enjoy the day. At the same time, I don't want to step in dog sh-- around the crags. I also had a friend that freaked out around big dogs because of an attack when he was young. Didn't matter if the dog was freindly or not, the size freaked him out. I guess Litedawg hit the nail on the head. If you are imposing on the freedom of others then don't bring the dog. You know the areas you climb in so you should be able to judge whether it will impose on someone else. I saw a dog at Reimers Ranch that was big and adorable and just wanted to meet everyone and and get his share of love. No hassle. I have also seen dogs that you knew you wanted to keep an eye on and stay away from. If I have to give a dog a wide circle at the crags because it is being overprotective of its master or whatever then that has imposed on my freedom. You know your dog, you know the areas you climb and whether they are crowded or not, think about what the other climbers will feel and then make the decision. If you choose to bring your dog to the crags that I climb, great. If you decide to leave it at home that is also great.

Climb On

[ This Message was edited by: coach on 2001-08-15 10:23 ]

patman

Aug 17, 2001, 2:42 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If their on a leash...

kagunkie

Aug 17, 2001, 5:12 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Responsible pet owner, bring it along its good for him/her. Irrisponsible idiot leave it at home. Theres a time and place for everything. Once at the Gunks someone left their dog in their pickup back inside the cap. We saw it crying and barking in the morning and by the end of the day it was dead from the heat and lack of water. Those idiots should have been arrested but they drove away without anyone doing anything. There are idiots everywhere.

kriso9tails

Aug 17, 2001, 7:18 AM
Post #12 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people are good with their pets, but one dog I know stole one of my shoes, wouldn't let you sit down in peace, and would sit under you while you were bouldering. Now I'm pretty easy going with these sort of things, so it doesn't really bother me all that much, but alot of people don't like it and are just too polite to say anything. If you own a dog, and you're busy climbing, then how do you watch it while climbing or belaying? Like I said, most are very good with their pets, but as a general rule, I'd rather not have them at the crag.

kagunkie

Aug 17, 2001, 3:04 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to bring my dog climbing almost every time I went, I dont have him anymore but he just enjoyed going along and being part of the action. I started taking him when he was two or three months old and he learned the drill quickly. I go up he lays down. If I was off the ground he was tied in a safe place away from the hazard of falling objects and always with water available to him. Even though he was well behaved there were sometimes other dogs around that were not so loveable and were loud and annoying or even threatening. If the dog is going to whine and bark its probably better to leave it somewhere els. If you teach the dog from an early age what is going on they'll usually be better behaved. So take the time to train them well and you and your dog will be happier and benefit from the time spent together. A dog only wants to be part of the action and please its master they just need to be tought the difference between whats pleasing to us and whats annoying.

tomanox

Aug 20, 2001, 10:08 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always take my dog tramping and one time it took me 45minutes to get her over a river and up a steap bank. I find they can be really frustrating sometimes but the good times far out last the bad!!!
[addsig]

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook