RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

vaness

Apr 27, 2002, 10:03 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

at every comp i have been to at least one person crys
i dont understand. is it because they want first or because they fell or because then have pressure from there parents? its mostly the younger kids. has anyone else seen this?

madriver

Apr 28, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Vaness

As a parent of a kid who climbs in comps I can answer for her fom my perspective. She is 11 yers old now and started climbing last Sept. at age 10. Her first comp. in Philly, she won, it was a great experience and a well run comp. There were routes set for all abilites and the comp was enjoyable for all. Some comps seem to be not kid friendly. The routes are 5.10 plus or V2 plus. This eliminates most of the younger set. With my daughter, after wining early and going to the next comp with high expectations she got slammed by an over zealous route setter trying to make a statement. The comp for her was a disaster becuase she felt she could not climb. She ended up in tears because her confidence in her ability was shattered. I don't know about everyone but in her case it has been a struggle to regain her confidence. Fortunetly the USCCA comps are designed for all abilities. The ABS series comps can also include routes for all abilities if they want to. I,m sure that are many different reason why kids cry, this is one.

Mad River

P.S - Good luck in your comps!!

beyond_gravity

Apr 28, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when i'm in a snowboarding comp, and i'm going for the switch corkscrew 540 fakie, I just get so pysched that i'm going to do it, there is no doubt in my mind that i'm not going to...I can't doubt or I wont. Anyways, I end up doing a Funkey-Twist to head plant, that makes u feel pretty horrible. But i dont cry

Jeremy

ponyryan

Apr 29, 2002, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kids in competition are often doing it to make parents happy (competition in general, not just climbing). When the kid fails, he feels he's not only let himself down, but also the parents. This is one reason kids cry. There are many more, but putting to much pressure on a child to succeed can cause serious rebellion later on. Just let your kids do what they want, never pressure them to anything.

kriso9tails

Apr 30, 2002, 2:45 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind if anybody cries a little because they get frustrated or are just really stressed and need to just break down for e sec, but I've seen enough kids at comps throw full tantrums because they wanted a second chance to send the route when everybody else only got one chance including the other climbers. These kids tend to be the kids who are told far too often how good they are for a kid by other climbers who are just patronizing them, the kids who are convinced that they're gonna be the next Sharma (and people literally call them little Sharma) and are then ill equipped to handle it when they get trounced.

What's worse is the parents who starting arguing in favour of their kid who is having a total hissy fit (I don't mean crying a little 'cause that's okay). The routes being too hard is certainly a cause for frustration, but it is totally one hundred percent fair. Everyone in the same division is climbing the same routes, so if you are better then you should do better even if don't get very far. Different places have different standards for what beginner, intermediate, and advanced really mean. The only thing awkward about taking a child to a competition is that some of the routes will just be too reachy. That sucks, but the onus is not on the organizer to set the routes for kids if it isn't a division intended specifically for their age group.

People need to understand that comps are for fun, so sure you might get frustrated with one, but if you go in expecting to win them all, even if you really are a "little Sharma," then you're going to get burned sooner or later, and if you do, just go off and cry about it if ypo want to, just quit the hysterics.

madriver

Apr 30, 2002, 4:53 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kriso

You said it "comps are for fun". The "owners" can ensure that it will be a FUN comp by providing routes for all abilities. Grownups or kids. I'm talking about comps other than USCCA. This is not a strecth for the route setters to come up with routes for all abilities. It's also good marketing. People who can compete in comps especially beginers will most likely continue to climb and be enthused by the sport. We as a family became involved by stumbling into a comp at Columbia, Md. My kids loved it becuase the had the ability to complete some easy routes designed for anyone. POW! We were hooked, I spend a ton a money on Gym memberships, gear and outdoor climbing. My kids now compete in USCCA and are doing well. I'm sure my pathetic story is repeated every week in a similar fashion.

Enough Ranting,

Mad River

vaness

May 3, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso
you said it well... crying a little is ok but its rediculous when the kids who always come in first cry cuz they havent finishes that 5.13. that only one person at the comp has finished

crap

May 3, 2002, 2:22 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They tell them they have to climb for their parents love, and anything less than total victory is a waste of time. Then they make up a bill based on their estimated cost per hour for each hour they're at the comp. If they get first place it gets thrown into the garbage, if they get anything else it gets charge to them. Leading up to the comp it is usually build up by repeatitly saying stuff like, "your entire hope in yourself rest upon how good you do at the comp, if you fail you only prove to us all how big of a loser you really are." Then they are given steriods and...

This is about the time I wake up from my nightmare in tears, because when I was a little girl on the East German woman's weight lifting team this is what I went threw.

Partner iclimbtoo

May 3, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh come on! Leave the kids alone! You remember what it was like to be a kid? First of all, if they can climb 13's, they're kicking my ass. When we were kids, nothing could get you down! But when something did, it shattered everything you knew! But luckily kids rebound like I only wish I could! Give them some sympathy and lay off, eh?

orestes1724

May 5, 2002, 12:53 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lay off? i know some people who cry if they get 3rd, and not just little kids. in the uscca the ages go up to 19 then some. i have heard of 17 year old girls grying when they get 3rd place. its sad in a way, she probably had to much pressure from her coach or her parents. thats why a lot if the kids cry. because they are scared to let down their parents.

vaness

May 5, 2002, 12:41 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rachel no one wants to know what you think...
just kidding! but your right

yoyojen

May 20, 2002, 1:43 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Parents suck when it comes to sports

Partner iclimbtoo

May 20, 2002, 2:20 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that if it's something that you really want, why the hell not cry if you don't place where you want to be? I run track and if I was competing in Nationals and had a good chance at winning, but placed 2nd or 3rd, I'd probably let out a dissapointed sob or two as well. I think it's good because at least it shows determination. So yeah, when I say lay off, I mean it. If someone feels that strongly about something, how can you just blow it off as "childish"? No, I don't think so.

scardeecat

May 20, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can think of various times in my life when I wanted to cry about something. But, because I'm a "Man", and I was in public I knew it just wouldn't be proper. So I bit back the tears and waited for a time when I was alone. Yes folks, I have cried, and will cry again in the future. I probably won't do it in public because i'm a coward, and afraid of appearing weak. In public I'll mask my saddness or fear with anger or violence, because thats the acceptable "Male" response.
My point is that I'm envious of anyone who is strong enough to cry when they damn well please.

adios
B.

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind." The Smiths.

maculated

May 20, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was younger I used to be heavily into showing my dog. I'm a competitive bugger and it reflects poorly upon me to say this, but at least I'm honest about myself: if I don't feel like I lived up to my potential, I'm really frustrated.

Frustration can equal tears. Especially for kids who are not emotionally mature yet. I cried a lot when I didn't win at those dog shows. My parents didn't even LIKE me showing my dog, so you can't blame my attitude on stage parenting.

I still get very frustrated on certain climbs I know I can do better on, and I have to sit out a climb once in a while if I know it's going to frustrate me. I'd imagine the feelings I have would be increased immensely if I got into a competitive climbing environment, especially if I were younger.

biff

May 23, 2002, 2:25 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Over the years I have competed in many activities .. my parents were always really cool about not putting pressure on me to win, but pushing me to do my best. Because of this, I was a pretty laid back sorta kid .. if I didn't win ... I would usually congratulate the kids who kicked my ass, and walk away happy with my performance. But If I failed to perform as well as I knew I could, I would usually step back and analyze my performance .. figure out what I did wrong and try to improve that part of my game.

I had some friends whose parents always expected them to be the best (not the best that they could be) and this attitude came out in everything they did, weather their parents were pushing them or not. It was just their attitude, they expected that they were the best, and if they didn't win they thought they had lost, and would get mad insult other players, and then go and cry.

If you are expecting to always win, chances are you will be disappointed. If you expect to do the best you can.. you should always be happy with your result. Personally I prefer to compete against people who expect to the best that they can even if they kick my a$$ .. it is much more positive environment to learn.

[ This Message was edited by: biff on 2002-05-22 19:27 ]

colin

May 23, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I've ever seen anyone crying at a comp for reasons other than pain. Compclimbing is fun. You shouldn't cry because you didn't perform.

orestes1724

Jun 2, 2002, 2:56 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3275 views)
Shortcut

crying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iclimbtoo your right,
i disagreed with you before i competed. but now that i have been through a season of competitions i think its okay to cry. a lot of people cry. i understand how bad they want it now. i dont cry, i have though. so yeah. i agree with you now.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook