Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

psalmadventurer

Apr 29, 2002, 4:30 AM
Post #1 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

indoor climbing life...dumb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you think it would be dumb/pointless to pursue only indoor climbing? I mean I guess people who are really into competitions sometimes never leave the plastic. Indoor gyms are getting more and more advanced...but the texture is just not the same as good old rock. I just wondered what other people thought about this.

kahuna3602

Apr 29, 2002, 4:43 AM
Post #2 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

indoor climbing life...dumb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think after you climb for a while if you have any ambition at all you'll want to try outdoor climbing. It is a fantastic substitute for regular gym workout (I mean how many bench presses can you really do in a life time and not go mad!) but I think for some, a very few some, it might be all they want from life.

kman

Apr 29, 2002, 4:53 AM
Post #3 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indoor will never be as good as outdoor climbing. Unless you would rather be inside in a sweaty gym with greasy holds.

bkpkrn

Apr 29, 2002, 4:54 AM
Post #4 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I like to apply things I do in life to things that someday, I may have a need to do. If for some reason, it is a necessity for me to climb a wall, I would like to have the ability to do it. For this reason, as well as being a more outdoors person, I think it is crucial to climb actual rock and not a man-made wall. This way, you can be ready for unexpected factors that occur in an uncontrolled environment, such as bird droppings, loose rock, and water. Just my opinion on it, hope it doesn't offend anyone. N8

Partner tim

Apr 29, 2002, 5:01 AM
Post #5 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are weird.

Climb outside 'cause the views are better and it doesn't smell like stale farts and sweat.

maculated

Apr 29, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #6 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can imagine that there are lots of people who are happy in the gym and that's all. I saw "Princess Diaries" over Christmas break and that chick is no way an outdoorsy girl, but she works at Mission Cliffs. She goes, "I'm just a wall climber." And that's just it. I have a friend who hates the outdoors (bugs, burns, poison oak) and I can definitely see him liking the gym for the climbing but not for the elements.

Yuppie climbing, is what it is. Now me, part of the fun is the road trip and sleeping under the stars.

ace-11
Deleted

Apr 29, 2002, 5:51 AM
Post #7 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that indoor climbing was initially set up for training in the winter seasons/bad weather days for the outdoors. Climbing indoor is just not the same as being outside. Although indoor ratings are probably more acurate for competitions, I think that they defeat the point.

Keep crankin' and extendin'

fiend

Apr 29, 2002, 6:11 AM
Post #8 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know someone, who climbs relatively hard, who doesn't like climbing outside. He only climbs in the gym now.

Whatever blows your skirt up.

crux_clipper

Apr 29, 2002, 6:52 AM
Post #9 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why would you consider not going outdoors. The whole reason a person gets into climbing in the first place, is to one day, experience the immese sense of satisfaction, or sitting at the top of a hunk of rock you just scaled. An overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I never feel that indoors.

psalmadventurer

Apr 29, 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #10 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To me at this point, indoor climbing is only a supplement to reg outdoor climbing...I am so thankful for this supplement as I live in flat land central. I mean indoor climbing kind of has its own challenges even if they are not respected challenges...I think it would be cool to pursue only indoor--but I know I could never do it because I too LOVE the outdoors! Thats my take at least right now Jennifer
PS sorry if this message got posted twice

rckfreek

Apr 29, 2002, 10:55 PM
Post #11 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't imagine wanting to spend all my time in a gym.....I don't enjoy it even once in a while. The only reason i go is to stay in shape when the weather isn't cooperating. I guess if it is what floats your boat then great but i think outdoor climbing is a ton more fun.

Personal oppinion of course

- Rock Freek -

rickmyers

Apr 30, 2002, 7:30 PM
Post #12 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In nj where i live, there isnt much to climb outside. The majority of my time is spent indoors at the three gyms (vertical reality, njrg, go vertical) and I am quite satisfied. Maybe because I havent spent a lot of thime outside i dont appreciate it as much, but i think that in an all indoor career you can still have tons of fun.

rickmyers

Apr 30, 2002, 7:31 PM
Post #13 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In nj where i live, there isnt much to climb outside. The majority of my time is spent indoors at the three gyms (vertical reality, njrg, go vertical) and I am quite satisfied. Maybe because I havent spent a lot of thime outside i dont appreciate it as much, but i think that in an all indoor career you can still have tons of fun.

jdcox_9

Apr 30, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #14 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jabbeaux

I hear you on the stale farts, but sometimes the fresh juicy ones are bad too. And those ones are even bad outside. To put is plainly farts stink ... not that i haven't contributed my fair share

blacksamba

Apr 30, 2002, 8:07 PM
Post #15 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my hugh grant/liz hurley analogy is applicable here, but for all those flatlanders with no other option

at least you can roadtrip
and if you dont road trip

ben

paintinhaler

Apr 30, 2002, 8:13 PM
Post #16 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im staying on real rock, gym sucks

stewbabby

Apr 30, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #17 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok here is the deal. climbing is called a sport. i think it is a sport, but i believe that the only competition should be yourself. your goal should not be to out climb anyone or to be billy-bad-a** with an ego the size of texas, but rather to push yourself to do something that your mind and body didnt think that they could. you should overcome your own pwersonal obsticles. one person can find the same sense of acomplishment from doing a tr 5.6 that i would get on a 12 pitch 5.10 trad lead. so you find out what climbing is to you and what you want out of climbing and simply do that.

ps rock is way better.

[ This Message was edited by: stewbabby on 2002-04-30 13:39 ]

dupree

Apr 30, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #18 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It didn't take me long in the gym to want to get my paws on real rock, but I can understand why some folks prefer the gym. It really seems like two totally distinct disciplines...

crackaddict

Apr 30, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #19 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats thier own choice if someone wants to be a gym climber.
I think people should'nt limit themselves and they should explore all climbing has to offer.
I think that there are to many closed minded climbers today and they don't realize that no matter what they do it is all climbing.

I am also tired of hearing of whos type of climbing is better.
Argue all you want but mean while I will just have to climb it all!

Rockitup!

uziforjc

Apr 30, 2002, 9:21 PM
Post #20 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Visit the breathtaking landsape of Joshua Tree, the intimidating massivess of Yosemite, the seemless beauty of Indian Creek, the absolutely mind-blowing Needles, and you will need no other answer.

roclymber

May 2, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #21 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love both - RealRock, and Non-Real Rock. Both gym climbing and outside. I have no beef with people that prefer to do only one kind, and for me Id do the same thing, but I feel I need to do both.

In fact, I gym climb more than rock climb per say, because where I live, there is NO rock within 100 miles. Also, its just as fun if not more fun, cuz the problems are infinite. you cn even make up your own!

lets put it past us, which type each of us prefer, as crackaddict said (paraphrased) its all the same, as long as were climbing.

-matt

stevematthys

May 2, 2002, 2:00 AM
Post #22 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gyms are nice, when it is night or below 30* outside

stevematthys

May 2, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #23 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yea, and when you are learning to climb

liudolf

May 2, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #24 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent my first summer of climbing on plastic, and I loved every day of it. This was in south Louisiana, and the Rok Haus is the only crag within a day's road trip, and it was only a 5 minute drive from my house!

I was there EVERY day, me and my buddy. There was no hike-in time, no set-up time, no non-climbing time except the time we chose to spend on our backs after falling, staring up and wondering how we were going to complete the day's project.

To be truthful, I wouldn't want to climb SOLELY indoors, but I hate the fact that Oahu has no gym. I'm FORCED to wait until the weekends to climb (if I can get a belayer!) and I hate that.

My first love was plastic, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart for that reason alone.

squirrelgirl

May 2, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #25 of 53 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't offer a whole lot of insite on this discussion. I had the unfortunate luck to live on the wrong side of the mountains. I can only climb on Mondays at the local gym, but I'm hoping to join the team there for more opportunities, but it will probably all be inside. I climb trees whenever I can to build up strength and agility. Hopefully, one of these days I'll be on real rock!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook