RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Aug 15, 2001, 9:02 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3487 views)
Shortcut

needing alot of help!!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Umm, I'd like to help, but it would be easier if I knew you experience in climbing (I wager very limited from the question), and where you are from (for the courses).

First off, there are several different styles of rock climbing, each requiring different gear. Also there are alot of terms that come with the sport. There is a three part article in the articles section on this site on getting started that should be helpful, as well as an article on the afore mentioned terms. I beleive that an article on technical climbing shoes is comming up soon, which might also be of use. Hope you find what you're looking for.

litedawg

Aug 15, 2001, 3:55 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3486 views)
Shortcut

needing alot of help!!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.exumguides.com is a guide service in Jackson Hole Wyoming that offers climing training and guide services and the Grand Teton.
www.rockreation.com is a website for rockclimbing gyms in Los angeles andSalt Lake City. They offer many types of classes, prices adn descriptions are available on the site.

Let me know what else you need to know, glad to help.

[ This Message was edited by: litedawg on 2001-08-15 08:59 ]

litedawg

Aug 15, 2001, 4:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basic equipment to get started standard sport climbing:
- dynamic climbing rope
- harness (for climber and for belayer)
- climbing shoes
- belayer (to keep you from hitting mother earth)
- belay device
Additional equipment that would improve performance is going to depend on the type of climbing you are doing; sport, traditional, bouldering, big wall, ice climbing, mixed.

If any of these terms don't make sense reply. I recommend you stick to one type of climbing to make your assignment easier.

Let me know.

coach

Aug 15, 2001, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rei.com website has some info under their Clinics section. They provide some basic information on the different types of climbing and the gear associated with each. It would take too long here but you can print out the articles and read them later.
Once you have read them come back with any specific questions and maybe we can help.

Climb On

manboy

Aug 15, 2001, 5:18 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lisa, on avg. a beginner course will cost you less then $70, and it covers how to put on your harness, how to tie in (tie the rope to your harness), how to belay (you always climb in pairs, one person climbs while the other person controls how much slack is in the rope, this person is called the "belayer".), and it will teach you some very basic climbing techniques. Every climbing gym offers this course, each varrying from gym to gym, make sure you go to a good gym, for a list of prices check out http://www.joerockheads.com, it is the best climbing gym in Canada, and one of the best in N.America.

so your cost to start the sport is going to be something like this:

$45 for beginner course (this will varry from gym to gym)
$150 for a 3 month memebership to local gym
$100 for shoes
$30 for chalk bag and chalk
$60 for harness

then if you want to climb outside once you've learned about climbing in the gym first, you will also have to buy a rope and quick draws (you will be doing "sport climbing" because that is what you learned in the gym. the alternative is "trad climbing", but if you are just starting outside you would not get into that right away).

$150 for rope
$20 per quick draw, 15 quick draws
$75 for gri gri (this is your belay device, it is the belay device that ALL good climbers use, some beginners choose to use other ones like an "ATC" because they are cheap and don't want to dish out $75)
$10 for locking carabieners, you will probably get 6 of them that you can use in all different situations.

that's all you're going to need

i suggest going to a book store near you (a BIG one that sells ALL magazines), and buying a copy of "Rock&Ice" and "Climbing", these are two Magazines, and an excellent sources of information for your assignment. good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: manboy on 2001-08-15 10:21 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook