RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

cschnur

Jun 17, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Linville sport/bouldering trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Myself and a couple friends are headed up to Linville Gorge this weekend to do some sport climbing and then boulder in boone (probably). This will be our first time sport climbing. Any recommendations for routes we should/should not do? How easy are the routes at Table Rock to find/identify. Also where is some good summer bouldering in the area? I know of blowing rock, any other good sopts? (preferably along the parkway) Thanks.

kilgymrats

Jun 17, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Re: Linville sport/bouldering trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well...Sport in Linville Gorge is kina'..well..here and their. If you want to do some routes on Table there are a few.
Cave Route - 5.5
My Route - 5.6 Fun Crux..and probably one of the longest routes at Table
Jim Dandy - 5.4 (I think)
Two Pitch - 5.5 LAME! If you fall on the bolts you will die!
Just left of the start of Cave Route is a bolted 5.10. I don't think it has a name..but it's just down the hill a little. One pitch deal. That's about it on Table...I think. Anyway, I think that the Carolina wall is still closed..and you probably don't want to fight the man eating snakes and brush to get there. Sooo......
On to Bouldering: Blowing Rock Boulders is pretty cool. Along the parkway there is also Grandmother Boulders. It's just past the Viaduct on the left (if your going South). There are quite a few other places along the way as well. If you want some pretty good stuff...hit up 221. The whole section between Holloway Mtn. Rd. and the entrance to Grandfather Mtn. is pretty good. There is a really good sport place down there as well. Anyway, so that's some info for ya' I'm sure you'll get more.
Hope it doesn't rain on ya' and maybe I'll see ya' out there....later!

badass

Jun 17, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cschnur, do i know you? Anyway you got to go to Grandmother Boulders or lost cove near boone. If you want directions either call Rocks and Ropes or pm me.

cammaniac

Jun 17, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sport Climbing in Linville?? Really not much there. Very few mediocre routes on table, I know of no other bolted routes in the gorge. There may be a few bolts placed here and there on natural lines where you can't place natural pro, buts thats it.

There is a decent top rope area called the Chimneys. Head south from the Table rock parking lot and you will run into it.

Have fun.

seanb

Jun 17, 2004, 2:20 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sport climbing in Linville? There is fantastic climbing in LG but if you're looking to sport climb, its just not the place. There is some all bolted routes on Table, but probably not the greatest routes relative to others in the area. There is several all bolted routes at Hawksbill you could enjoy if you climb hard 12 & 13. Then again, if you're climbing those routes why would need RC.com advice?

Great bouldering around Boone!

jw11733

Jun 17, 2004, 2:29 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it's not where you are headed, but Crowders near Charlotte has a fair bit of sport climbing. Checkout Selected Climbs in NC (Harrison Shull).

rck_iceclimber9

Jun 17, 2004, 2:54 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah i did a climbing trip to Linville. Table Rock has some sport but it is either really easier or really hard. The cave route is a classic, though, but there are some really fun 5.9s there but they are trad: like Slippin' into Darkness and A tall Cimb To Be Good On (which is mix protection, think 2 bolts are on it, one right at the crux) not much sport though.

rck_iceclimber9

Jun 17, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah (just remembered), there is a really fun 5.10c sport route.... almost goes inverted, very fun climb, gotta trip it. i am not sure the name but it starts out on slaby face.... right before the cave route. Another good on is what's up Doc and couple near there

Partner j_ung

Jun 17, 2004, 3:39 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other than the handful of ridiculously crowded moderate multi-pitch lines that have already been mentioned, there's not much sport climbing in Linville. Some other sort-of moderate Table Rock sport routes not mentioned:

Just Say Moo .10a
Ellie Reynolds Memorial Buttress .10b

Hawksbill also has a couple of moderate sport routes, but some don't have hangers and good luck finding them! None of these sites are worth trips in and of themselves solely for sport climbing, so I suggest that you also hit up Morphin Endorphin, which is less than an hour drive from TR. Check the routes DB on this site for info on a handful of reasonably good lines there.

As for bouldering, the advice posted above is good.

Just for consideration: Where are you driving from? Does it make more sense to go to TN or WV instead? NC sport climbing improves in the Winter, but in the summer it's bleak... very bleak.

cschnur

Jun 17, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am driving from greenville, and won't be leaving til 6 pm. We wanted to go to linville because it is close to boone (relatively) and i know how to get there. This will be the first time sport climbing for us and the first time leading for either of us, so we are looking for relatively easy stuff. WVa, Va, or Tn would be an option. We also have a third person that can't climb, so we were looking for somewhere they could enjoy as well. Thanks for the input!!!!! Is there any good bouldering in the gorge?

cammaniac

Jun 17, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
NC sport climbing improves in the Winter, but in the summer it's bleak... very bleak.

What is that supposed to mean? Bolts decide to show their ugly faces only in the winter! I've never heard of such a thing. Where do you buy those?

Can you get them to disappear when certain people come around, that would be cool.

bootleg

Jun 17, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with jwll733. Crowders might be something for you to look in to. Good sport there but no bouldering. If you want someone to show you around there send me a pm. As far as Linville, I have never been there but plan on climbing The Daddy someday soon when I get more comfortable with Trad and my bro/climbing partner gets some lead time in.

Edit: Ohh I see you are in NC not Greenville SC. Crowders might be a bit out of the way.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook