RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

abkaiser

Apr 30, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

weird finger problem
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone seen or have this?

I've been climbing 2 days a week, and am very out of shape, but 4 months at the climbing gym have helped. However:

When I wake up in the morning the pointer and index fingers on my left hand (I'm right hand dominant) are, well... "tight". Specifically, it feels like the pulley is tight and is squeezing the tendon at points when I try to flex my finger past 45 degrees. If I do so, the movement feels restricted and tight, and is painful if I force it.

This only happens in the morning after I wake up. After I flex my fingers and stretch them a while, I'm fine.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm guessing pulley/tendon swelling, but I don't want to aggravate things, or misdiagnose (like is my pulley about to pop off?)
This has been happening for about 1 week.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

killclimbz

Apr 30, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

weird finger problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you may have some swelling going on. You may want to tape before you climb at the gym. Try drinking lots of water. Before you climb and after you climb. It's amazing how much being well hydrated can solve little problems.

old_school_guy

Apr 30, 2002, 4:20 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about your problem, but I'm glad you brought it up. I've been having the same problem after a winter of twice-weekly gym climbing sessions. I've found that taping above and below the achy joint helps a lot, as does careful stretching of all fingers before and after the climbing. Good luck.

dougiec

Apr 30, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, make sure you're stretching the fingers after climbing as well. A lot of people stretch before getting on the wall, but you're just as likely to hurt the next day if you don't stretch afterwards too.

Also, if you're getting pumped on a climb, when you get down try and stretch your fingers and masage your forearms to get the circulation going. Carrying on when pumped will definately hurt the next morning! There's no shame in taking a ten minute break or even climbing a few easier routes to give your arms a break in between the hard ones.

Dougie

lilred

May 6, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That always happens to me unless I warm up and cool down properly...this is what helps me...
Before I start climbing, I warm up on really easy stuff for a good 30 minutes...I don't stretch before I climb, as I have found it makes me weaker. After climbing, I cool down on easy stuff again, and then stretch REALLY good (usually yoga) for at least 30 minutes.
Just keep in mind
1. NEVER stretch cold muscles
2. Always warm up before climbing
3. Try to stetch every day, even when you aren't climbing!
Hope that helps!
-M

dontneedfeet

May 6, 2002, 4:17 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few people I know swear by putting their hands in ice water for a few minutes after every climbing session. They say it helps the next day swelling.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook