RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

Partner kimgraves

Jul 1, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3947 views)
Shortcut

Broke my ankle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’ve broken my ankle doing something stupid in the gym. Bouldering, feeling strong, I went for dyno and missed. Fell maybe 3-4 feet. Just landed right/wrong. Out for eight to ten weeks. Feel really stupid for trying something so risky – miss and you fall – for no other reason than I wanted to do it. The big thick mats in my gym have recently been replaced with much thinner rubber ones. So decking is more serious. It was a real mistake in judgment to not assess the consequences of what I was doing. I just wasn't focused.

Kim

shank

Jul 1, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3947 views)
Shortcut

Re: Broke my ankle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But you did learn from it right?

Sorry to hear it.

Healing happens.

Steve

unabonger

Jul 8, 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #3 of 4 (3947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But you did learn from it right?

There has to be an easier way to learn...

I've been there, Kim. And I did learn-patience, acceptance, how life moves on and the pain subsides to a distant memory. Oh, and I also learned that outward pressure on a skyhook on a small sandstone flake is contraindicated.

UB

Partner kimgraves

Jul 8, 2004, 1:57 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Guys,

Yea, I did learn something about accessing and then making the decision to take a risk. I chose wrong last time – hopefully not next time.

Some good news: Doc says my ankle is not broken. The first x-rays were inconclusive, but the doc said he “thought” it was broken from the one point pain I was experiencing. With sprains, the pain tends to radiate. Hairline fractures bleed calcium for the first couple of weeks and so a second set of x-rays taken a week or two later will shows more contrast and the break will be easier to see. There was no change between the first and second set of x-rays. So now they say that I probably dislocated it and it popped back in immediately. So I’m in PT twice a week. The exercises are really painful! But, they say with aggressive treatment I’ll be back in a couple/three weeks.

So a good lesson learned at a smaller than expected cost. I feel lucky.

Best, Kim

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook