RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

Partner polarwid

May 2, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1205 views)
Shortcut

The LANGFORD-STEVENSON controversy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As I was reading Chris Jones' CLIMBING IN NORTH AMERICA, I came across a familiar name. Nathaniel LANGFORD and James Stevenson were purported to have climbed the Grand Teton in 1872, and named the peak MOUNT HAYDEN. It is unclear whether they reached the summit (a la Dr. Cook) but is certain that they reached a point 400 feet below the summit where they found a man made ENCLOSURE.

There is some difficult climbing above the ENCLOSURE so the account was unconvincing. The first verified ascent was in 1898 by OWEN and SPALDING. Spalding saw no reason to discount LANGFORD, in fact he saw no reason that OWEN did not summit before he climbed it with him (OWEN had several failed attempts). In fact, recently discovered in OWEN's personal papers is a staement that a Captain KIEFFER and two other soldiers climbed the GRAND TETON five years before OWEN.

So, to those of you who have climbed the GRAND, what do you think, and what is your general opinion of people like COOK (who was proved a fraud) and LANGFORD/STEVENSON (who have not been proved fraudulent)? Is the "fame" of the first ascent worth it? Would you ever participate in this type of thing? OPEN DEBATE HERE---

Any relation to you JODY?

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-05-02 14:55 ]

jmlangford

May 2, 2002, 5:40 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1205 views)
Shortcut

The LANGFORD-STEVENSON controversy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nathaniel P. Langford...who was also the first superintendent of Yellowstone National Park, was an ancestor but the exact relation I am not sure of. I'll have to go dig in the trunk over at my parent's house and do a little research. Dang Doug! Is there ANYTHING you can't keep a secret? Click here if you want an exhaustive history on the whole 'Grand Controversy'. This is a 400+ page book on the history of the Grand Teton, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-12-13 15:25 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook