RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

spectral

May 3, 2002, 7:28 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering: Indoor vs. Outdoor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently got out of my blue-collar cage and made it out onto the boulders at Malibu Creek, my very first bouldering outdoors. I found it to be a very different dimension to my "indoor" bouldering experience; I found it much more difficult than what I was used to, though the so-called grades were about the same. Just as a matter of interest, what do you like about indoor vs. outdoor climbing and vice versa? Anybody have a preference?

(BTW: If anyone is wondering who cracked the wooden plank at the start of the rock pool, it was me and my 4 quarts. The poor dude who followed me pushed it past the limit and went in for a chilly drink. Our guide made it up by buying us all beers after the trip!)

hang_man

May 3, 2002, 12:52 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering: Indoor vs. Outdoor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guess outdoor boulder offers more variety... after bouldering indoor for quite some time you will get sick of it.. but then again, indoor bouldering is not affected by the weather... and more convinient? maybe..

pogatin

May 3, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outdoor bouldering is so much more fun. The problems are classic, your outside in beautiful areas, and honestly it's just really hard for me to get phsyced in a gym, and being stoaked to do a problem is what i like about climbing. Like, sure every now and then, you'll come across a kick ass boulder problem in a gym, but all in all, i'd just rather be sending one of the many other kick ass problems out side.

felixthecat

May 5, 2002, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

outdoor bouldering is diffenently better. its real! and you learn to use more technique along with gains of confidence due to having to smear on really small stuff which isnt possible in a gym(or at least the gyms ive been to). all in all i think after bouldering/climbing outside for a few times you'll get the hang of it and you'll improve indoors from it as well.

ace-11
Deleted

May 5, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that outdoor there are some way better routes. There is no way that you can match the variety and quality of routes that there are outdoors. Indoor routes are good, but outdoor routes are great!

[ This Message was edited by: ace-11 on 2002-05-05 16:40 ]

stonefiend

May 6, 2002, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bouldering indoors is simply a training tool for the goods... pockets, slopers, crimps.. features on the stone created over thousands of years by rain, wind and water to provide us with a pattern that allows us to dance on the precious canvas of natures art.

mikedano

May 6, 2002, 5:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a sorta different take.
First, I don't really like bouldering, I much prefer routes, especially trad. However, I think bouldering is the most fun way to get stronger faster.
Along these lines, I like bouldering in the gym better because it's easy to find routes at or just above your level. Outside there are bunches of fun problems, but you will probably have to hike around to find ones that are just within your ability to challenge you, but just hard enough for you to work at it.
So since it's easier, I prefer the gym.
That said, now that summer is here I'm hoping to stay out of the gym as much as possible.

roclymber

May 6, 2002, 5:45 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To much explaining for something so simple. They both rock the ice, but each in their own unique, and special way.

1. Bouldering indoors - this is the upper levels of difficulty, and it allows for variety in such a small place. most bouldering competitions are held indoors, because of the variety.

2. Outdoors bouldering is also just as cool. You get to climb some classic rock, and the HIGHEST of difficulty boulder problems will be found outside. Nothing could mimic, for example - dreamtime - indoors. and theres nothing like the feel of warm rock on a nice day.

though I mostly gym climb, i choose which own to do out of convience or availibity - but i like them both equally

-matt

barney_89012

May 14, 2002, 4:33 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

outdoors is where its at. I'd rather climb outside where it is 20 degrees, rather than going indoors. I'm sick of the gym. Thats just my opinion right now.

hang_man

May 14, 2002, 11:58 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

same here, outdoor offers variations

ajoys

May 15, 2002, 2:14 AM
Post #11 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to climb outdoors more so then indoors but when it comes to bouldering I pretty much only do it in the gym.

I prefer roped climbing and I have hurt my right ankle twice bouldering. One time I sprained it so bad I thought it was broke.

In the gym the landings are soft, level etc....

Of course after I get hurt I always tell myself I will never boulder outdoors again but when I see a problem that is just calling me, I end up climbing it anyway.

fiend

May 15, 2002, 2:54 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to think of indoor bouldering as being 2 dimensional; flat walls, friendly holds, safe landings.

Going outside adds that 3rd dimension. Welcome to bulges, dihedrals, stemming and heelhooks. Tendon popping monos, razor sharp pockets, and wide slopey aretes which require the friction of your forearm to stick.
You could probably drag in the 4th dimension of the mind games... death talus landings and sketchy highballs.

Indoor bouldering is fun, it's training and it's casual.
Outdoor climbing is also fun, but it can be exhilarating, dangerous and more viceral, more real.

holygecko

May 22, 2002, 12:14 PM
Post #13 of 13 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outdoor bouldering is the obvious choice for better fun and better views, but the gym has those nice big cushy pads tough choice but I'll stick with outdoor

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook