RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

chizelz

Mar 16, 2004, 1:02 AM
Post #1 of 17 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Calabogie - Eastern Ontario
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know of a guide book or of any more detailed information on climbs around the Calabogie area. I am more interested in the 'rock' than the ice...... We have been there climbing a few times, and know how to get there, but don't know which routes are which, what their ratings are... well anything other than where it is, and how fun it is... thats all that matters right... yea but... any additional information would be great, thanks!!!

kungfuclimber

Mar 16, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Re: Calabogie - Eastern Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can find some info on Dr. Topos and on Pete Svilka's guide.. uh.. "Eardley climbs and other sandbags" or something like that.

Let be give you the short version: The climbs are ok, short by rock climbing standards. The whole area is constantly wet (hence the good ice) which makes it a veritable moskito hatchery. That last bit is the reason I stay away from there during the summer months.

chizelz

Mar 16, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #3 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up on drtopo.. but there was no information there about the Calabogie area, however I did find some info about the Luskville area... I have Peter Slivka's book "selected climbs, sandbags and others around the eardley escarpment" and there is no information there either about Calabogie....

The couple of times that we were there it was awfully wet as well, we didn't mind the mosquitoes, that were the size of hummingbirds.... they helped us drag our lazy carcas's up the wall... LOL

cjburchell

Mar 22, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #4 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Currently there is now guidebook for the rock at Calabogie but I do have a copy of a draft copy of the guidebook that has most of the climbs in it. When I get time i might scan it in and post it somewhere.

chizelz

Mar 23, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #5 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey cjburchell if you could send me a copy of the draft it would be greatly appreciated... I am not going to publish it, I only want it for personal use. if you do get the time to scan it, could you email it to me.... just drop me a PM and I will give you my email. Looking forward to seeing it, thanks!!!

chizelz

Apr 1, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone??? its starting to thaw out there and I am getting anxious..... can anybody help with a guide book???

marcallain

Apr 2, 2004, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion I think the bouldering in Calabogie is alot better than the routes. Im not saying that because i'm a biased boulderer. I hardly boulder but have done both there and the climbing is not that great. Good bouldering though! Luskville is alot better if you're from Ottawa and want to go somewhere close.

chizelz

Apr 2, 2004, 2:19 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always looking for new places to climb. marcallain, where have you bouldered there?? roughly around the same area??? I agree that Luskville is far better, but its nice to have some different options...

headchop

Jul 8, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Waking up an old thread.

I've only been bouldering up around The Shrine and Hospital Boulders a few times now and was hoping to check out some other spots, including Calabogie. Can anybody possibly point me towards a topo for the bouldering up there, or anywhere else near Ottawa for that matter? It'd be much appreciated.

Otherwise I'm gonna get desperate and haul my crash pad over to Down Under and start bouldering some of the 5.12s.

evan

Jul 8, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #10 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey headchop,

I was going to keep my mouth shut until it was finished, but expect a small guide sometime this Fall. I have to go back down to take some photos sometime in the next month, and make sure that my map won't have people skittering off the wrong end of the Eagle's Nest.

The area is worth a day visit, if you know where you're going. Be forewarned, I know a lot of people that have gotten hopelessly lost, even with directions.

The guide is going to be a small affair. Although it could have been finished earlier, I really want to make sure that it's well-organized. The last thing I want is for people to go there and waste their time wandering around, hopelessly lost.

If there is significant interest, I'll make an effort to speed things up.

Respects,
Evan

astro

Jul 8, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #11 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Evan,

I was going to ask you about the guide last night at the gym but it slipped my mind. I’m living in this area now, its closer for me to drive to Calabogie than to Luskville, so I’d love to pick up a copy of your guide when it’s finished.

I’ve asked a number of people for directions but they’ve all warned me that one can get pretty lost around there unless you know the area. Actually, one person started giving me directions but then it all started to get pretty muttled and abstract.

Good luck with it,
cj

chizelz

Jul 8, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #12 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Evan, I would be interested in your guide book! I recently received a draft copy of a guide book from "cjburchell" its a pretty complete guide minus the pictures, and minus the boldering, so maybe its not so complete... :wink: still the only reference book for the area that I have found. Evan, I don't know if you have seen or heard of this other guide, but it might be worth while checking out???

Could you please drop me a letter once you complete it, I would love a copy!!!!

GL with it!!! can't wait to see it!!

evan

Jul 9, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #13 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Folks,

Damn. I guess I'm commited to it now, eh? Thanks for all of the interest in the guide though. It's not going to be anything fancy, but I do want to make sure that people don't end up wasting their time wandering around, looking for random boulders. The guide is going to be a bit... tongue in cheek. I found that writing these things can be a bit tedious, so I had some fun with it.

If any of you are at Coyote's and want some rough directions, track me down. Pending the photos, it should be done sometime soon. As for the approach, I've had three friends get hopelessly lost at various points in time. It's not that bad. If you're bushwacking, you're lost.

I think I know the guide that Christian has. It's probably the old guidebook Stephen Adcock wrote, but never published, back in the mid or early 90s. Some of the routes look pretty nice from the boulder field. The only person I know that's climbed there is Jody, back when he was too young to think anything of running out badly protected routes on multiple RPs.

I'll keep you guys updated on what's going on.

Respects,
Evan

chizelz

Jul 9, 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YUP, your totally commited now, there are at least three of us counting on you.... :wink: The guide book from Steven Adcock is the one that I have.

My brother inlaw and I spent a whole day trecking through the bush there, searching for the rock, ended up tresspassing on a dam, following a deer, or the deer was following us... laughing at us, taunting us....... , having lunch on the bank of a river, hiking halfway up the ski hill, and finally giving up, and opting to hit the local beer store to drown our sorrows. Next time out, we found it within 15min......... you can imagine how stoopid we felt. Last time I was there there was a small inconspicuous sign close to the trail in... with either 'Eagles Nest' on it or just an 'EN' *sigh*........ so long ago. Can't wait to get out there again, but I am waiting for 'someone' to finish a guide book..... (feel the pressure :lol:)

Again, GL with the guide!!! and please keep 'us' posted.

sir_chalkalot

Jul 13, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Ottawa ACC section has an outing scheduled for Calabogie on the weekend of 24-25th July.
http://www.angelfire.com/...ottawa/climbing.html

HTH,

George.

Mish1100

May 6, 2012, 8:32 PM
Post #16 of 17 (4554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chizelz] Calabogie - Eastern Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in calabogie and just started to climb but have no one to go with.

dagibbs

May 18, 2012, 4:57 AM
Post #17 of 17 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mish1100] Calabogie - Eastern Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know you just resurrected a thread from 2004? There's a good chance the original poster is just not around any more.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook