Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
camping in/around north conway
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

akaijen

Jul 13, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

camping in/around north conway  (Australasia: Australia: South_Australia: Adelaide: Pelican_Plaza: Storm_boy_wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

Am looking for a place to camp in August preferably with showers since we'll be there long enough to get skanky. Also, would rather not stay at expensive, cheezy family places where they have pools and cable tv. Dunno how that's meant to be camping...

Looks like the Fed parks in the area are pretty minimalist. Is Crawford Notch far from the 'good stuff' :wink:

What about places where climbers frequent a la Miguel's at the Red?

Thanks,
Jen

cfnubbler

Jul 13, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Re: camping in/around north conway [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Crawford Notch campgrounds are 20-30 minutes from Cathedral / Whitehorse. They're expensive, but do have decent facilities, including coin-op showers. There's really nothing comparable to Miguels in the area. There's also some nice, quiet campgrounds along the Saco River in Fryberg, which are within 30 minutes of the goods.

-Nubbler

grinspoon

Jul 13, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the best of my knowledge, you can camp anywhere (unless marked) in the White Mountain National Forest if you are .25 miles away from a trail, water source and road. For showers, a pool and a jacuzzi drive around back of the Best Western (it's on top of a hill, RT16 in North Conway and looks expensive) the door is always open (before 11pm) to the indoor pool area. This method of camping is totally free.

bostonclimbah

Jul 13, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I admire Grin's ingenuity, I would not recomend this for camping in the NC area.

You absolutely can NOT camp in the forest around the bases of the ledges or most of the surrounding area. This includes the areas at the top and behind both ledges that people constantly try to skirt the law. Yes there are some "secret" spots here and there but it will only serve to exacerbate an already tense relationship between climbers and the local community.

As mentioned above, the Crawford Notch Campground is about 20-30 minutes north of the ledges. Kind of "Gucci" for most climbers tastes. There are also lots of WMNF camp sites available along the Kancamagus Highway, about 20 minutes south and definitely not the carnival atmosphere that we so loathe. They are hike in, no pools, no electric, no RV's... and right on the river which is ummm shall we say, "refreshing" in the morning. Also, if your camping in this area, you are literally 5-10 minutes from some great climbing at places like Sundown and Lost Horizon as well some cool hiking on Mount Chocorua and the surrounding trails (many trails leave right from the camp sites).

Why boot leg when you can have all this? Enjoy.

ambler

Jul 13, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looks like the Fed parks in the area are pretty minimalist. Is Crawford Notch far from the 'good stuff' :wink:
Bostonclimbah's beta is good -- the NF campgrounds on the Kanc (Blackberry Crossing, Jigger Johnson, and Covered Bridge) are nice, though basic. No showers but the Swift River is nearby. You can walk up to Sundown Ledge in a few minutes from the Covered Bridge campground, or it's a pleasant drive ~20 minutes to Cathedral, Whitehorse etc. If you have kids along, I'd recommend Jigger Johnson; just for climbing, Covered Bridge has more appeal.

As for Crawford Notch, it's a bit farther from North Conway attractions but has some good crags of its own. Mt. Willard and White's Ledge, for example, have long routes similar in quality but less crowded than the North Conway classics. There are a handful of shorter crags too -- see Ed Webster's guidebook for details. Again, there's a swimable river nearby.

lucander

Jul 13, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As tempting as it may be, do not camp at Echo Lake right at the base of the crags. I've tried to just lay down there and sleep & have been woken up by partiers, beligerant frenchies, loud skinny dippers, etc.
As for Grin's method of renegading - it works but keep a VERY low profile so that local renegades don't get clamped down on. Liek crags, hotel hot tubs have access issues too. =)
- David

akaijen

Jul 13, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I'm not keen on having having my vaca ruined by getting in trouble with anyone... I get so precious few days off from work.

If not camping at a place with showers, is there a place in town where you can go to clean up and maybe do some laundry? In my neck of the woods, you can pay for a shower at campgrounds that have them.

Otherwise, if we decide to go a little gucci (I'm pretty attached to bathing) and Crawford is already half an hour from the climbing, are there any places that are sorta/kinda equadistant from Rumney and Conway area? I'm not betting on it, but thought I'd ask. It looked like Franconia notch was at about an inbetween place, but they've got a waitlist for the two weekends that we'll be in the area.

FWIW, $15/day for a campsite is not too bad. It's $9/person at Seneca and $8/person around the New River Gorge.

Thanks for all the help.
Jen

akaijen

Jul 13, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thought I'd go ahead and post my research on cost - someone else may want it.

- White Mts area National Forest campsites start at $16/night for the site. A couple have coin-op showers, most do not. One of the coin-op shower-having campsites is reservable, the other one is not. The closest ones to Cathedral and Whitehorse only offer pit toilets and a water source.

- Crawford Notch State Park is $15/night for the site and has ammenities (bathhouse and laundry) but is further away

- Crawford Notch Private Camping area has a special of $18/night for two people camping at a site. If you sign up for a week, then it goes down to $15/night. Has lots of amenities (bathhouse, store, laundry, place to wash dishes) and allows dogs for additional cost.

Other private areas are pricier but have things that you would normally find at motels... including the cheeze.

Webster's book mentions the North Conway Pines campground but have found no online sources about costs and ammenities, but seems well-located. I s'pose I could call them... haha

Jen

bostonclimbah

Jul 13, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jen,
Based on what your looking for, I would go to Crawford Notch Campground (the private one). I've stayed there. The sites are nice and has all of the other stuff covered. In addition, there's ton's of hiking and climbing to be done right there as well as Cathedral and WH. You will not be disappointed with either Crawford or the Kanc.

To answer your other question. There is a Suds laundormat in NC. I believe it's next to Tony Lena's sandwich shop on 16. You can also use the coin op showers at Echo Lake (the lake at the base of the cliffs) during the day time hours.

If you stay close to NC you will definitely need to hit Delaneys for post climbing beers. Very cool staff, lots of climbers. All of the climbing shops are great for info too but the guy at Craggers is particularly helpful (local shops: IME, EMS, Craggers, Ragged Mountain). For coffee / breakfast, your best bet is Bagels Plus (next to Delaney's on 16) or the Front Side Grind (next to Craggers on 16). The Met is good but kind of Gucci.

Sorry this is so long. Feel free to PM me if you need additional info.

ld

Jul 13, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Jigger Johnson on the Kanc had coin-op showers but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the Swift River and a bottle of camp soap is really a perfect way to de-funk, especially in August! Note that some of the WMNF campgrounds are gravel sites so don't forget the sleeping pad!

shakylegs

Jul 13, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mmmmm, Bagels Plus.
If you want to go dirtbag lux, you could try Cranmore Mountain Lodge on Kearsarge Road. It's bunk-style, about $20 night, but at least you have a breakfast and shower thrown in the deal. Oh, plus a swimming pool out back.
Probably not something to do every night, but it's a nice way to break up the sleeping-in-the-woods week.
Shalimar has probably the best Indian food I've ever eaten.

lucander

Jul 13, 2004, 9:45 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've stayed at Kranmore in the Winter and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the Bunk rates blew up to around $25 a night per person though. Still, not bad if solo in the winter when you toss in a usually good group of folks, free breakfast, hot shower, heated pool, ht, etc.
- David

sandstone

Jul 14, 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once camped for a week at "The Beach" campground, which is in or very close to North Conway. It's a family type place, not your normal dirt bag climber type place. The reason we were there were the showers, and it was somewhere we could leave our tent up and not worry too much about our stuff being pilfered. We didn't have any problems. Here's a link to the Beach:

http://www.ucampnh.com/thebeach/

I'll second the recommendation for the bunkhouse at Cranmore Mtn Lodge. That's my normal place to stay in the winter. Kevin and Jean who run the place are super nice, and you simply cannot beat the deal.

The Flatbread Company, a pizza place behind the EMS store, is a decent place to hang out and have a beer. I like Tuckermans, a local brew.

lucander

Jul 14, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of brew, where can I get a good stout or porter in bottles in NC itself or anywhere in NH? I've been tormented by stores that only sell ale! Does Tuckerman's have a brewery anywhere in town?
- D

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook