RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

zenpill

Jul 14, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

South America, the beautiful...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to this site, quite fascinating indeed, found places in my country I had no idea could be climbed!

Isn't it funny how now everything under the US is considered South America? Don't want to start a discussion here but it's something that quite frankly I disapprove of. Why not call it "U.S.A." (or AMERICA, like they usually call the country) and the rest of the world"???

Anyways, just a first impression there.

Congrats to those who manage this site, it's enlightening. I will throw in as much info as I can about my country, Costa Rica.

As a matter of fact I'm heading off towards the north part of the country this weekend and hope to come back with some information about new sites I'll be exploring for.

Best regards,

atg200

Jul 14, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #2 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

Re: South America, the beautiful... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i think that is pretty stupid too. whoever came up with that idea must have failed geography in school.

keinangst

Jul 14, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #3 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not everyone calls the US "America." Personally, I think it's an archaic title that says something about the speaker. Saying "US" or "USA" is more appropriate, but calling ourselves "Americans" is still the most common.

Then again, the Spanish term "norteamericano" usually refers to someone from the USA, so it seems like it excludes the Canadians and Mexicans---even though we're all North American!

(Edit: Most US citizens consider South America to be everything below Panama--assuming they can find Panama on the map! Latin America is everything from Mexico, south. Central America or Mesoamerica is typically everything between Mexico and Colombia. Confused yet?)

zenpill

Jul 14, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #4 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keinangst,

you are right about central americans calling people from the US north americans, this is mostly due to the misconception brought by "north americans" (US citizens) calling themselve north americans.

(Edit: Most US citizens consider South America to be everything below Panama--assuming they can find Panama on the map! Latin America is everything from Mexico, south. Central America or Mesoamerica is typically everything between Mexico and Colombia. Confused yet?)

The above is correct, in many ways...

Central Am. has two ways of looking at it's maps, one is geographical and hte other is political. Panama is considered part of central america, politically.

I, personally, am one who considers north america everything from mexico's northern border up past canada. Likewise we consider gringos all north americans.

could go on and on confusing many about the subject includeing myself.

abrazos,

zenpill

atg200

Jul 14, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #5 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have never heard of an american calling himself a north american before, ever. when i am down south, i generally say i am from the estados unidos. the only place i have ever been called a norteamericano is colombia, thouhg i haven't traveled to anywhere in central america before.

valeberga

Jul 14, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a clusterf*ck. On top of everything else mentioned above, you know Mexico is actually called "Los Estados Unidos de Mexico."

You'd think we could have come up with better, or least unique, names for our countries.

Another thing that's funny is that Canadians get mad if you call them "Americans," which of course they are, except that the USA tries to claim it, and the Canadians are spiteful of this. :roll:

Partner missedyno

Jul 14, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #7 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread from General to Suggestions & Questions.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook