RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Aug 19, 2001, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1229 views)
Shortcut

I need some guidance
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First step would be to find out more about what your area has to offer.

Look around this page for a link that says
Routes
(there is one at the top and one at the side)

if you click this then you can keep narrowing down til you get to your area. Next call up some local gyms and ask about intro courses etc.
That should get you on your way
Welcome to our world.

dean585

Oct 7, 2001, 11:53 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1229 views)
Shortcut

I need some guidance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to a local indoor gym and tke some classes or go to a local guide sevice and take a beginner course to introduce you to climbing on real rock. I suggest the latter for two reasons. 1) Since you are new to the sport it is very important that you get the right safety fundamentals, which a qualified guide service will teach you. You dont want to just find a random person who offers to show you the ropes unless you are sure you can trust them. This has a disadvantage to it because at least if you are experienced and you find a new partner and they make safety mistakes you will be able to pick up on it, but as a newcomer you might not notice if they attach you to an anchor with a bent gate biner instead of a locking one. Mistakes like that can cost you your life. and 2) real rock is much better to learn on then the gym. You are better at finding holds after you learn on real rock and I feel and this is only my opinion thatit is easier to transition from real rock to gym than vice versa. Many people that have only climbed in a gym find it hard to identify routes on real rock and arent good at finding good holds because they are used to the routes shown with colored tape and the gym holds are obvious. But try both and be safe and have some fun. Hope you grow to love this sport as much as I do.

climberchk

Oct 7, 2001, 3:12 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1229 views)
Shortcut

I need some guidance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I luv freestyle skiing! It's the best... er uh second best sport. How about kayaking, that's pretty awesome, and there's lots of kayaking in the east.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook