Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Additions to the site you'd like to see.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fiend

Aug 20, 2001, 4:07 AM
Post #1 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Additions to the site you'd like to see.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lately we at rockclimbing.com have been trying to update the site as much as possible and would like some input as to which parts of the site need the most attention. Also we're constantly thinking of new things we could add to the site to truly make it the ultimate climbing portal on the web.

What would you like to see on the site?
Here's your chance to let us know what you think would be a popular addition.

PS. be sure to vote in the newest poll.

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2001-08-19 21:56 ]

Partner russman

Aug 20, 2001, 4:27 AM
Post #2 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Additions to the site you'd like to see. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted for other in the poll becasue I like to find new links and sites and routes to add to our pages. I sift thru the web adn thru magazines and look for more things to add. I liek doing that...along with reading the forums and all teh other stuff

staang

Aug 20, 2001, 5:02 AM
Post #3 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe a database of all the registered users here. That way you could easily locate fellow climbers in your area, or an area you may be road-trippin' it to. other than that love the site, love the sport, i'm hooked

fiend

Aug 20, 2001, 5:10 AM
Post #4 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

staang, if you hit the link on the left
Find People
it lets you search for users by name, city etc.

kriso9tails

Aug 21, 2001, 2:08 AM
Post #5 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that stuff is in, or will be in the articles section. Alot of people ask for things that are already in that part of the site, so it's worthwhile to check it out to direct people's questions instead explaining the same things over and over: eg. what does ________ mean?

I think it would be cool if the there were a couple of photos featured for each month, which would alternate periodicly throughout the month... just for variety.

Partner russman

Aug 21, 2001, 2:15 AM
Post #6 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny you say that now Kris...you must have talked to fiend. Actually we were talking about that when the front page got the new design. Instead of changing it every so often...we decided to go with once a month. That could still be a possibility, but it will automatacally change every month now.

tradgirl

Aug 21, 2001, 6:39 AM
Post #7 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be really helpful to have an email alert when you have new email-similar to the one for private messages. Do we already have that capability or is it something that could be added?

compclimber

Aug 21, 2001, 9:06 AM
Post #8 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be nice to have a seriousness rating for routes. ie PG,PG13,R-,R,R+,and X

congo

Aug 21, 2001, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definatly need a good tech tips page..

..and not just a forum type thing, im talking discriptive pictures, recommended diets, finger training, strength training, stamina training, free weight workouts, other non-clmbing gym workouts, recommended/reviewed human growth hormones, steriod reviews. you know, that sort of thing.
..p.s. i really liked the balance training website.

[ This Message was edited by: congo on 2001-08-21 06:48 ]

krillen

Aug 21, 2001, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Russman I know of a few DHTML scripts taht give syou a random image everytime you refresh you screen, you could alternate 3 or so images every month. The one pic does get tired pretty quick. If you need it PM me.

skully

Aug 21, 2001, 9:59 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tech tip section with a new tip each month or week (with pictures).

Monthly or weekly hot topic.
Allow users to comment or vote on the tips.
Like the forum but restricted to your theme (vote Yes or no). The forum is too much like a chat room, keep it separate. Tabulate and present the results and comments on site when a new topic is unveiled. Allow your users to send in topics for this area and you decide which to put up for that week or month. That will keep’em coming back.

i.e. Would you be interested entering a non-professional rockclimbing.com sponcered boldering contest? []yes []no...
Would you pay to be in this contest?[]yes []no...

tankshild

Aug 22, 2001, 3:45 AM
Post #12 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any one in utah ethrer heard of or went to the summer jam with greg childs. the site could sponser somthing like that or have a day were users of the site all come out to clim or somthing. and the managers for each area could do the same and/or anual one in a differnt location each year.

compclimber

Aug 25, 2001, 6:56 AM
Post #13 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be awesome to have a Instant Messager system, that way you could talk to just one person.

kagunkie

Aug 25, 2001, 1:52 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im finding myself getting confused by the server time. If we could adjust our displayed time so you could easily tell when a post was made that would be nice. Id still be confused anyway but it would be about something els!

fiend

Aug 28, 2001, 3:35 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one of the problems with rockclimbing.com sponsoring any kind of event is cashflow.
A) you have to have a lot of it to pay for these events
B) we don't have any

That's why we need to bring in more people to the site in order to attract more advertisers. You can easily help us out by downloading a flyer and taking it to your local crag's trail head board or gym. It can be downloaded at http://www.rockclimbing.com/FLYER1.pdf
(It is in Adobe format and you can get a copy of the free adobe reader if you don't have one at http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html)

Are these some additions that people would be happy to see then?
1. Tech/Training Tips section -pictures and descriptions of beginer to advanced climbing techniques and training methods. Would you be willing to send in a tech/training article for us? This is something that would be a lot easier to implement if we had users contributing.

2. Forum Topic of the Week -we single out a forum topic that we feel is informative or creates constructive conversation and single it out somewhat.

3. Sponsored events -maybe in the future eh?

4. More featured on the email -this is one of the things we are working on right now, making it run smoother and perhaps showing when you have new mail on the main screen.

What about the chat? Would more people use it if it worked a little better?

Also what about rockclimbing.com merch? Would anyone be interested in rc.com stickers, hats or clothing? (That one is also a little cash dependant )

fiend

Aug 28, 2001, 6:22 PM
Post #16 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you click on the at the top left it will take you back to the main page.

Also if you go to your profile then you can access the last 50 posts you made.

wigglestick

Aug 28, 2001, 7:19 PM
Post #17 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that you are working on it already but I would like an gear review section that was worth damn unlike some others I have seen.

jds100

Aug 28, 2001, 9:30 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to suggest that before someone starts a "new" forum topic, they should be instructed to go to "Search", and search the keywords of their idea to check for existing forums. I seriously doubt that there could be very many genuinely NEW topic ideas developing. I've searched, for example, "bolt, bolts, chopping" because I noticed yet another "new" forum started on bolt ethics. It's a valid discussion, but one that has been taken up on numerous occasions on this site already.
The contributions on these forums is valuable, and may be exactly what the person is looking for by starting a new forum, but I think we are simply going to get tired of repeating ourselves every time someone else comes up with a great "new" idea.

Please give thorough instructions to check for existing forums by keywords (not just one; to be imaginative and search thoroughly). Inform that when a comment is added to an existing forum, the forum will move to the head of the line as an active -newly active- forum, and the discussion can then resume from the new comment. Chances are the new person will also enjoy reading what's already been said there on the topic.

Is there a way to combine similar forums that already exist on this website, thus reducing the number of forum pages to go through, and reducing the topic search results to a smaller number of forums to examine? Wouldn't it be better to have more pages within a forum, than more forums dealling with the same topic?
Since the site can execute a search by keyword, would it be possible to add a function which would alert that a "new" forum topic already exists and that the writer should go to that forum (or one of a small number of choices) to continue the thread there, rather than allow another forum to be initiated?

Hope so!

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 28, 2001, 9:45 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definately agree with all of those who said to improve this site the most would be to have a "Tech Tips" section of this site where there can videos to download explaining certain techniques as I have seen on other sites that shall remain nameless. ESpecially Tech Tips from the pros, like perharps getting some of the famous pro's giving their thought's and technique information to the serfer. This would be greatly appreciated, and I think I speek for many people when i say this.

talons05

Aug 28, 2001, 11:50 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would definitely be cool to see a "Tech Tips" section with technique, advice, gear reviews. Also, It would be pretty cool if you put a featured climbing area on the site once a month or so, with good directions and beta... Roadtrip central or something...

jds100

Aug 29, 2001, 5:54 AM
Post #21 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After emailing with Talon, I'll edit my suggestions a bit: perhaps it would be easier to accomplish, and easier for viewers to navigate if similar forums could be referenced automatically (via keywords) with "Further Discussion on ..." or "See Also...", if not actually linked.

A Technique section, and a training section could be helpful, too.

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-08-28 22:56 ]

talons05

Aug 31, 2001, 1:29 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the "similar discussions Idea.

fiend

Aug 31, 2001, 3:27 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I added a training and technique forum today.

The articles are on their way, we just need people to write them (how about you?). keep checking the articles section. I am currently talking to a couple of 'Pros' here and there, hoping to attract some to the site in order to write an article. Most of them are too busy climbing though

Email is being worked on.

There's not much chance of being able to put certain forums together into one, that would involve a lot of complicated coding for not a lot of gain. If you see a repeat posting then take it upon yourself to find the original and direct the new poster to add their comments there.

Thinking about the featured forum thread idea. Where do you think would be a good place to put this?

Please keep in mind that those of us putting in the time to keep the site running and updated are doing so on a voluntary basis. We do not get paid, this is not our job, so it takes some time for us to get around to doing some of it. The more help we get from you the more the site evolves. And don't forget, the site has been changing rapidly for the last couple of months.
We're doing the best we can

fiend

Aug 31, 2001, 3:46 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone would like to write an article then just click on the Articles section and look for the directions at the bottom.
(under Contribute on the Articles index)

We will have to approve the article but anyone can take a shot at writing one.

Private message me or send email to fiend@rockclimbing.com if you are interested but not sure what to write.

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2001-08-30 20:47 ]

bart

Aug 31, 2001, 9:34 AM
Post #25 of 38 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want to get logged out if I am working on the site, because I have to retype my latest changes.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook