RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

mother_sheep

Aug 9, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Non Climbing Weekend, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm pooped and in need of some serious relaxation. I'm looking for a place in the hills where I can take my kids camping, hiking, fishing and swimming. They've been excellent and gone on a few camping/climbing trips with me. Now it's their turn. Anyone have any ideas on where I can take them where they can do all the things listed above. This will be a climb-free weekend. I may be twitching by Monday but I think I need it and I want them to have a great time too. I want it to be one of those moments they look back on when their older and think, "Hey, I had fun when i was a kid and my mom is cool!"

bouldereldo

Aug 9, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Re: Non Climbing Weekend, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents used to take us to Guenella pass for just this purpose. I was in RMNP this weekend and it was great. I however can't promise that there won't be any choice chunks of stone at these locations to tempt you.

mother_sheep

Aug 9, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My parents used to take us to Guenella pass for just this purpose. I was in RMNP this weekend and it was great. I however can't promise that there won't be any choice chunks of stone at these locations to tempt you.

OH MAN!!! The park is the last place I want to be this weekend.

Holy cow. Did I just say that?

climb14er

Aug 9, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I wanted to chill out, I took my step daughter with friends to the mountains, we usually went to Glenwood Springs and stayed at the Hot Springs Lodge.

This is NOT dirt bag camping! Rather, the kids ALWAYS enjoy the pool(s), the water slides, and I always loved the hot springs to rest my tired muscles.

You could always head to Aspen for some long or short hikes and come back to the hot springs when you want to soak. Restaurants are all over the place.

This is one great alternative to camping when what you really need is R & R. Again, kids love the pool!

dlintz

Aug 9, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a little farther away then Glenwood Springs but Ouray is a great place to unwind.

d.

sandbag

Aug 9, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MS,

If you want a place thats Not RMNP and has that kinda stuff, the other Side of The Divide, Cameron Pass, has some fantastic locations to camp. fish etc. Also the near GReen mountain Reservoir, Cataract Lakes area is cool too, esp for the lil 'uns since they aint hard as nails yet like their mammy. ;)
PM me ill give you some of the lowdown.

SB

climbingnurse

Aug 9, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm pooped and in need of some serious relaxation. I'm looking for a place in the hills where I can take my kids camping, hiking, fishing and swimming.

You see no inherent problems with this plan? :lol:

mother_sheep

Aug 9, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm pooped and in need of some serious relaxation. I'm looking for a place in the hills where I can take my kids camping, hiking, fishing and swimming.

With what. . .taking the kids camping solo or not climbing? I say nay to both. The kids and I always go camping so that's no problem. As far as not climbing, that remains to be seen but I'm pooped right now from climbing and I have plans to climb Tues, Wed and Thurs so I'll adjust. :-) Maybe.

fireclimber

Aug 9, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Far but Crested Butte has great mountain bike trails, 4 hours from denver when I drove it. And they have real cheap condo rentals in the summer, no better relaxation then relaxing at 10,000 ft.

timstich

Aug 10, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was almost going to suggest a river raft ride, but I seem to recall you aren't into that. Tubing on a slow river is one of the coolest things I can think of for recreation. We used to do that religiously in Texas on the Comal and Guadalupe River and on Barton Creek when it was in season. I see people tubing Boulder Canyon, but I'm not sure how difficult it is. Clear Creek below tunnel 1 looks pretty tame.

I've always wanted to visit the Wheeler Geologic Area, but I'm not sure how far off of the paved roads it is. Amazing terrain. Check out some pictures sometimes. It's south of Pueblo.

coloradosteve

Aug 10, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

With what. . .taking the kids camping solo or not climbing? I say nay to both. The kids and I always go camping so that's no problem. As far as not climbing, that remains to be seen but I'm pooped right now from climbing and I have plans to climb Tues, Wed and Thurs so I'll adjust. :-) Maybe.

I think it was the 'I'm pooped' and the next tentence is 'take the kids hiking/fishing/swimming/camping'.. Like that's going to be relaxing. :D I've met your kids. They're like mine. There's nothing relaxing about 'em (that's a good thing).

That said - if you come up with something that works well, give me a heads up for future use. My kids have also been asking about going camping.

Steve

mother_sheep

Aug 10, 2004, 3:00 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay Steve, so they're a bit high energy. But look at their mom! I'm a little on the hyper side myself!

PM on the way with more details about the weekend.

mjroche

Aug 10, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Piney Lake in the hills north of Vail is very cool for camping, fishing etc. and it's an easy drive from the Denver area.

By the way, did you do Lone Eagle? How was it?

mother_sheep

Aug 10, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lone Eagle was awesome, exhausting, creepy, relaxing, fun, beautiful, hot, cold, windy, calm, wet, dry, long, slippery, positive, forgiving, frustrating, not long enough. . .hehe How's that for a TR? Pretty much sums it up.

In retrospect, no matter how exhausting, it's always a wonderful thing. I loved it. But I'm glad I no longer feel like I have to go back to that peak since I finally climbed it. Ever since day 1, I've wanted it and it's finally done.

mjroche

Aug 10, 2004, 4:09 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations on ticking that one off your list. It is certainly a gorgeous peak. And yes, that is quite a TR, but alpine routes seem to inspire exactly those kind of enthusiastic contradictions -- fun, scary, easy sketchy etc.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook