RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

angusmackay2000

May 9, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 3 (658 views)
Shortcut

New
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well i havent done ice climbing with axes etc i have done mountaineering in the snow but i havent climbed a rock using mostly your axes and i was wondering what does it feel like so i no before i do it.

I would think that you would get serious blood rushes and you might get scared at times but thats what i am looking for well i was just wondering is it like what i thik it would be.

beyond_gravity

May 10, 2002, 3:45 PM
Post #2 of 3 (658 views)
Shortcut

New [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of All, in the above post, you have two sentences!

Ice climbing is a differnt game, even tho there are some simularity's, there's huge differnces. You can't just swing your tools in anywhere, you have to look to concave sections of the ice, if you swing into the wrong spot, Ice will just fly into your face. Placing screws takes alot of practise, and you dont place as much pro as if you were trad climbing. Most newbies frontpoint there was up the whole climb, which is not really a problem on easy top ropping, but when you place a screw on your frontpoints your calfs are going to be tired as hell! Get someone who knows what there doing, either an experienced friend or a Guide will do

Good Luck,
Jeremy.

bradhill

May 10, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #3 of 3 (658 views)
Shortcut

New [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice is an intersting medium that offers as much variety as rock. Waterfall ice is quite different from glacial ice is quite different from rime ice. They all can vary due to mineral content and temperature. Climbing a big fat pillar or chunk uses different techniques from chandeliered ice or mushrooms or verglas pasted to a face. A long climb may very well change underneath your feet as you go.

Try reading Jeff Lowe's Ice World. I'd higly recommend it to any ice climber or alpinist.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook