Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Central park info
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fo_d

Aug 10, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #1 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Central park info  (North_America: United_States: New_York: New_York_City: Central_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seems climbnyc.com must have had some down time and its like a ghost town there, anyway duskerhu and i are driving from Minnesota to the Gunks in late Sept. and are planning to stop in NYC to boulder in Central park, I've never been to NYC before and i'm wondering about where to park, driving in the city, ect... we dont have any particular boulders or areas on tick list, but i've seen on one of the sites it mentioned the cat boulders in the S.W. part of the park? Any info you can give me would be great.

Thamks

Les

thejew

Aug 10, 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #2 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Re: Central park info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Les -

I have been crying ever since i read your post.... especially the part that mentioned you have never been to THE city! i live right outside the city and have been climbing in central park as often as possible. the best route would be to forget your car all together, if you want to get in more climbing, you'll have to do less driving. i would recommend parking in SoHo or the village, where you can get some cheap meals and then take the subway for 2 dollars towards the park. i would reccomend climbing on rat and cat rock. if you need specific information about the city etc. PM me. i find it better to just roam around the city and not have a specific plan. if you are looking for someone who knows the city well, to climb with, im around whenever youre here.

- Jew

lordjim

Aug 10, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #3 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Les, I still have the centeral park guide if you want it. Shoot me an email address with about 70k of space and I'll send it your way.

Matt

Partner taino

Aug 10, 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #4 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Seems climbnyc.com must have had some down time and its like a ghost town there, anyway duskerhu and i are driving from Minnesota to the Gunks in late Sept. and are planning to stop in NYC to boulder in Central park, I've never been to NYC before and i'm wondering about where to park, driving in the city, ect... we dont have any particular boulders or areas on tick list, but i've seen on one of the sites it mentioned the cat boulders in the S.W. part of the park? Any info you can give me would be great.

Thamks

Les

FYI, ClimbNYC.com is back up and running.

T

fo_d

Aug 10, 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #5 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have been crying ever since i read your post.... especially the part that mentioned you have never been to THE city! i live right outside the city and have been climbing in central park as often as possible. the best route would be to forget your car all together, if you want to get in more climbing, you'll have to do less driving. i would recommend parking in SoHo or the village, where you can get some cheap meals and then take the subway for 2 dollars towards the park. i would reccomend climbing on rat and cat rock. if you need specific information about the city etc. PM me. i find it better to just roam around the city and not have a specific plan. if you are looking for someone who knows the city well, to climb with, im around whenever youre here.

- Jew

Riding the subway would be great, i have no clue where SoHo is but let add that we also need a fairly safe place to park since we will be leaving almost all of our gear in the car. The way our plans look right now we'll be arriving Sat. morning on 25 Sept., I'll PM you when we get a couple weeks away for some more spacifics and also if you'd like to hook up and show us some of the park that would be great.

In reply to:

:) yeah went on there and made an account but the place is pretty dead, it looks like it must have been a pretty busy site at one time.

Partner taino

Aug 10, 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #6 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

:) yeah went on there and made an account but the place is pretty dead, it looks like it must have been a pretty busy site at one time.

It just came back up - literally - yesterday, after nearly two months of downtime; members are still getting used to it. Post a question, and you'll get an answer.

T

curt

Aug 10, 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #7 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Les,

Just keep in mind that this excursion you have planned to Central Park to climb will be more about seeing NYC, than about climbing. I have bouldered on Rat Rock--and it is OK, but nobody in their right mind would go there as a destination to climb. It is a place to climb if you already happen to be there for some other reason.

However, NYC is an amazing place and is certainly worth a look on your trip for that reason alone.

Curt

fo_d

Aug 10, 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #8 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Les,

Just keep in mind that this excursion you have planned to Central Park to climb will be more about seeing NYC, than about climbing. I have bouldered on Rat Rock--and it is OK, but nobody in their right mind would go there as a destination to climb. It is a place to climb if you already happen to be there for some other reason.

However, NYC is an amazing place and is certainly worth a look on your trip for that reason alone.

Curt

You hit it on the head Curt, with the Gunks only 90 minutes away this is just a side trip, i just wanted to say i climbed in Central park, I saw some of the boulders in an Adam Sandler movie and that reminded me that there was bouldering in the park. Also, this may sound kinda funny but, I really want to get a real sub sandwithch from a real deli, and funnier yet.....I want to buy a fake Rolex from some guy on the street :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Partner taino

Aug 10, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #9 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to buy a fake Rolex from some guy on the street :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

thejew

Aug 11, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #10 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha les i love your perception of the city. i hope you get to fulfill all of your dreams in the city, and get to see the most amazing place in the world. oh, and ye, the fake sunglasses and rolex's are sick haha. you'll be able to find those on canal street and the village, and soho. pm me when youre about to leave, and i'll meet up with you to show you aroudn the city and boulder.

fo_d

Aug 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #11 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
haha les i love your perception of the city. i hope you get to fulfill all of your dreams in the city, and get to see the most amazing place in the world. oh, and ye, the fake sunglasses and rolex's are sick haha. you'll be able to find those on canal street and the village, and soho. pm me when youre about to leave, and i'll meet up with you to show you aroudn the city and boulder.

Great, I'll warn you ahead of time neither of us are hard core boulders, we're just doing it because its there.

We have to figure out our parking situation because we'll have all our gear in the car, no trunk to put it in. I'll PM you when we get closer, if you know where i can get subway maps and info on-line please post the link.

Les

curt

Aug 11, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #12 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Great, I'll warn you ahead of time neither of us are hard core boulders, we're just doing it because its there.

We have to figure out our parking situation because we'll have all our gear in the car, no trunk to put it in. I'll PM you when we get closer, if you know where i can get subway maps and info on-line please post the link.

Les

You won't need a bouldering pad there, Les. There is normally enough padding from the used condoms at the base of the rock to keep the old hypodermic needles from poking through.

Curt

I'm kidding. OK, I'm half kidding.

duskerhu

Aug 12, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #13 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:? Man, I can't believe you Bro!!! :lol: I talk you into going out to the Gunks to hook up with curt and his buds and you tell me you wanna stop in the City to boulder in Central Park...

"Cool!" I think... I've never been to NYC and that would be pretty awesome if we could say we did that.

Then I come on the BIG site here to check the thread you posted and see what kinda progress you're making and see this...

In reply to:
...this may sound kinda funny but, I really want to get a real sub sandwithch from a real deli, and funnier yet.....I want to buy a fake Rolex from some guy on the street :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DUDE! This is New York City!!! They're gonna think we're a couple-a-shmuks from Po-dunk-ville, Minnesota, way back up in the hills and woods... :shock:

Ok, just so you people know, I live in the city too... Right there about a mile from the Minnesota State Capital building in St. Paul... In fact, I even heard some gun shots right outside my house the other day. When I left an hour later there was an old Caddy down the block that was in full flame! On FIRE! And the cops didn't even care...

Les however... He lives down in Po-dunk-ville... Way back up in the hills, just outside the woods... :lol:

I don't know if any of you New Yorkers would be interested but, I think Les still has some foam rubber cheese wedge hats left over from when we were making fun of the Wisconsinites next door... We could probably bring a few out if any of you want one. :shock:

In all seriousness though, Thanks All for the responses! Sounds like we'll get to do a little bouldering in "The City" afterall...

duskerhu

fo_d

Aug 12, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #14 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should probably go check out the thread i started on climbnyc.com Dann, i think they figured out i live in the sticks too :lol: but really you cant find a good fake rolex or a good sub here in the middle of the U.S., the last really good sub i had was in Florida and it was made by a guy from New York.

thejew, my perception of NYC didnt just come from watching Sinefeld, it came from listening to Howard Stern and some guys here at work who are from NYC, I was perfectly willing to park the car as close to the park as possible and i figured the gear would be ok, but these guys that i work with say no way, it'll be gone in minutes. So if my perception of the big apple is a little screwed up, its mostly because of your fellow new Yorkers :twisted:

BTW Dann, St Paul aint nothin, you forget i grew up in Gary IN. when they had the highest crime rate per capita (sp?) in the country.

beesty511

Aug 12, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #15 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We have to figure out our parking situation because we'll have all our gear in the car, no trunk to put it in.

If you leave a buch of stuff in your car, it's going to get ripped off, so pack accordingly.

Partner taino

Aug 12, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #16 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Les

I would highly recommend that you either find a place to stash your gear (a fellow RC.commer's place, perhaps, if one can be found) for the day, or to not make the effort to climb at Rat Rock. While the Central Park area is nice enough, a whole bunch of climbing gear is enough to tempt even the wiliest of thieves. Cardinal rule of NYC parking: leave nothing of value visible in your car. Period. Sometimes even that doesn't help. I live on the Upper East Side - about 5 blocks from the park, in one of the safest and nicest neighborhoods in the City... I still take precautions when parking my car.

Besides, you're heading to the Gunks - Rat Rock pales in comparison.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have other questions.

T

thejew

Aug 12, 2004, 6:00 AM
Post #17 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know you can't pack accordingly since you are going ot the Gunks from there, so just hide your gear underneath the seats etc. so it cannot be seen from the outside of the car. and if you have the extra money, park in a garage.

duskerhu

Aug 12, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #18 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jew, we're driving half way across the country and planning on camping at the Gunks... And even if we were JUST bringing our climbing gear, there's no WAY I could fit my rack, much less fo_d's rack and mine under the seats.

We're driving a Jeep Cherokee so, there isn't even a trunk we can stash gear in. You can walk right up and look in any window and see what's in there.

I notice you mentioned a garage... Is there, or are there garages that are considered secure near the park where we could leave the car?

Or, who mentioned leaving our gear at an RC.commer's place? I guess that would make me most comfortable... Anyone willing to help out a couple long time site members with a little gear storage for a few hours? We will be in the City on the weekend. 9/25/04, maybe the 26th, to be specific.

duskerhu

phlsphr

Aug 12, 2004, 6:35 AM
Post #19 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know when I lived on the east coast I NEVER drove into the city. Why not park in NJ at one of the ParknRides, and take the bus in. Its much less a headache than trying to drive and park in the city--and I think your car would be more likely to stay in one piece.

Here's just one anecdote, from my admitedly limited experience in the city. I was walking along near the village and observed a car trying to get into a space that was smaller than the car. What this frustrated individual was doing was throwing it into reverse and slamming his car into the car in back, then backing out and slamming into the car ahead. He eventually made room...

My suggestion, avoid driving into the city if at all possible.

Partner wormly81

Aug 12, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #20 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Garages are easily found in the city but you will pay out the a$$. Taking the path in from NJ is a great idea but I would still not leave a car with gear visible at a commuter parking lot, unless your further out into suburbia (Morristown comes to mind as a good station, plus you can hop right on 287 and head north to the gunks, about 1:15 ($12 round trip) train ride in and out of Penn Station). If you wanted to get closer I dont see why you couldnt disquise your gear with some cardboard and other garbage to make it look rather unappealing.

Enjoy the trip!

Jeff

maxouric

Sep 14, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #21 of 23 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everybody,

I am new in the city and desperate about finding these blocks everyody keeps talking about !!

is there anyone who could tell me how to find them among the huge quantity of paths and rocks of Central Park ? :(

Thanks very much !

Max

ElliotShiel

Dec 8, 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lordjim] Central park info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I'm looking to do some bouldering in CP soon. Just wondering if you could send me that guide too. My email is elliotshiel@hotmail.co.uk no probs if you can't!

ClimbSoHigh

Dec 10, 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ElliotShiel] Central park info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bringing an old thread back to life!

No printable guide, but http://www.beta-boy.com/nycboulderingguide/index.html has some good info. Rat rock and cat rock are the main spots and are close together. There are maps on the site for these 2 locations. There will most likely be plenty of climbers there to point you to the other boulders if interested. To be honest, the bouldering at CP is terrible, since it is overused to the point the holds are polished and greasy, and is limited on quantity. But it beats not climbing and it is a unique experience being in a city. Only time I have ever taken a subway to go climbing. Don't try to bring a car since parking can easily run you $60, and locals usually just use scrap cardboard rather than crash pads. Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$35.96 (10% off)
$17.06 (10% off)
$3.15 (10% off)
$1.35 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook