Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any Bouldering?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chezman

Aug 14, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Any Bouldering?  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Pilot_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning a trip with some friends up to Pilot sometime this fall and I was just wondering if there was any decent bouldering. I know there is plenty of toprope and lead which is what we will mainly be doing, but i was wondering if we should bring a crash pad or save some extra room in the car.

cliffhanger2040

Sep 5, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is no real bouldering there worth doing, but there are a few short easy routes you may want to solo with a pad. (the three bears area.) Just my opinion.

cschnur

Sep 10, 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to boulder, drive about 30 minutes to Moore's

Rmsyll

Sep 28, 2007, 7:53 PM
Post #4 of 5 (775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chezman] Any Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two boulders for bouldering at Pilot. One is on upper Ledge Springs Tr. past 3Bears Gully about 200 yards/m on the left. There are a number of excellent overhang problems, with a nice vertical crack on the back right. No room or need for a pad, but a spotter is highly recommended esp. on the back side. The boulder below the base of 3Bears is not made accessible, but someone in every college group gets up and grins at the others. For the walls, there is usually no room for a pad because the Trail is also along the base. Every top bolt location can be made harder in some part, with only a pendulum the price for dropping it.

Rmsyll

Sep 28, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #5 of 5 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cschnur] Any Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a nice drive, through Pinnacle from Pilot Mtn. St.Pk., to NC 66 north, but it takes large-view maps to find all the roads to Tory's Den and then up further to Rock Access Rd. You then have to know to find the rock cairn on the power line cut etc., and if you do get to the boulder field correctly, it will still be a mile uphill. If you get hurt, you have to get back down from there, with all your gear, hmm? The new direct access to the main Wall bypasses the boulder area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook