RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Aug 25, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

bulk loading advice needed?????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm running low on my elite chrome supply and my source has dried up so I'm considering buying some bulk rolls. Few questions:

1) Do I need to roll in a light proof area once I load the film into the loader?

2) Is the Watson loader acceptable? It's $20 less than the next priced loader.

3) Metal or plastic cartridges? I can manually set the DX on the cameras I'll be using so DX coding is unimportant.

4) How many frames do you get per 100ft roll. My calculations are around 750 frames not counting for leader and trailer. I'm sure this is optimistic.

5) How much of a pain in the ass is the vs. cost effectiveness. That is, am I gonna do one bulk roll and decide to go back to just buying rolled film.

And finally, has anyone tried skipping all of this altogether and buying a bulk roll and rolling it into used C-41 cartridges by taping the bulk film to the cut trailer of the c-41 film and rewinding it into the cartridge?? The only problem I see with this possibility is dirt on the felt that could scratch the negative, however, aside from that possibilty you cannot beat free.

rongoodman

Aug 25, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Re: bulk loading advice needed????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like it's in stock at B&H.

krillen

Aug 25, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a bulk loader a year ago, and 100ft of Kodak Electrokrome....haven't rolled one roll.

Light vs. darkroom rolling depends on you roller. Mine happens to allow you to roll in a lit room, however you lose 6 exposures (per roll) doing it this way. Darkroom, is just plain safer.

Watch for sharp edges in your roller that may scratch the film as you roll.

Get metal cartidges, plastics warp, and are more subject to light leaks. Also metal ones are better for multiple usage, plastics are more or less disposible. Again, watch for sharp edges when loading them.

The only way you are going to save money, or make your money back for the purchase of the loader, is to use it a lot.

thegreytradster

Aug 25, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1) Do I need to roll in a light proof area once I load the film into the loader?
No, but you will need to remember that the last frame or two on a roll will be fogged. I liked loading in the dark room just so I wouldn't have to remember not to use the last shot on a roll.

In reply to:

I've had a Watson 66c for better than 30 years. Works great. I don't know however if the newer models have been "cheapened"

In reply to:
3) Metal or plastic cartridges? I can manually set the DX on the cameras I'll be using so DX coding is unimportant.

Never used plastic, never had a problem with metal.

In reply to:
4) How many frames do you get per 100ft roll. My calculations are around 750 frames not counting for leader and trailer. I'm sure this is optimistic.

Sounds on the low side +/- 800?

In reply to:
) How much of a pain in the ass is the vs. cost effectiveness. That is, am I gonna do one bulk roll and decide to go back to just buying rolled film.

Very low PITA quotent. If you can handle a Nikor reel it's a no brainer.

In reply to:
And finally, has anyone tried skipping all of this altogether and buying a bulk roll and rolling it into used C-41 cartridges by taping the bulk film to the cut trailer of the c-41 film and rewinding it into the cartridge?? The only problem I see with this possibility is dirt on the felt that could scratch the negative, however, aside from that possibilty you cannot beat free.

The cut and rewind method doesn't work that well. The tape splice can damage the felt, break, and the extra bulk of the splice limits you to 24exp or less. Also, the way the loader is designed you waste more film that way.
If you try to reuse the can conventionaly the ends don't stay on well. The crimp is not designed to be reusable. Watching the end fall off an exposed roll and seeing it spiral out like a deploying strip of fly paper ain't pleasant. The odds of this happening are exponentialy related to the inability to duplicate the shoot.

The reloadable ones will do the same thing if you drop one and it happens to land directly on the reel stem end. Have had that happen only once though.

I've got a few 30 year old cans that are still usable. a cheap long term investment.

akornylak

Aug 26, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Pico23 said: I'm running low on my elite chrome supply and my source has dried up so I'm considering buying some bulk rolls. Few questions:

It can be fun, but I wouldnt recommend it.

In reply to:

No. Most rollers are designed spefically to roll in light.

In reply to:

Most any roller is going to be acceptable.

In reply to:

Plastic screw-ons have the advantage that they dont pop open unexpectedly. Dont waste money with DX encoding but do label the canisters with the film speed

In reply to:

Youll get about 20 36-exposure rolls, but count on 32 exposures.

In reply to:
5) How much of a pain in the ass is the vs. cost effectiveness. That is, am I gonna do one bulk roll and decide to go back to just buying rolled film.

IMO, if you shoot a little bit here and there, its fun. Otherwise, its a pain in the butt, it doesnt save you all that much money, takes an inordinate amount of time, and its harder to control the quality. I've lost an unacceptable amount (maybe 15%) from light leaks, canisters that pop open, and rolls that just wont wind right. Consider this: A bulk spool of imported TMAX is $25 at B&H, thats $1.25 a roll. A canister is 65 cents, and you need tape and the loader. Well, you can get fresh imported 36-exposure TMAX for $2.10 each at B&H, or out-of-date TMAX for the same price or cheaper at any reputable camera shop. In volumes large enough for you to save money, you are putting a lot of time an effort into just rolling film.

Cheers - A

tradmanclimbs

Sep 8, 2004, 3:18 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never rolled film but my biggest hassels with film have allways been dust or dirt in the felt. You are a liar if you say you have never had an important roll ruined with a scratch or 2 through most of the roll. I would be pretty paranoid about re useing cannisters.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook