Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
outdoor top rope climbing ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

strwberypunk

Aug 29, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #1 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

outdoor top rope climbing ?  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Point_Dume)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what do we need to go outdoor top rope climbing? the one at the bottom that is called "Otherside" 5.7 - 5.7, has anyone climbed it?? we have the shoes, harnesses, and belays. What kind of rope do we need, and do we need pulleys and stuff?? any help would be appreciated!! thanks!

chrisparedes

Aug 29, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #2 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Re: outdoor top rope climbing ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your probably going to need anywhere from 20-40 of webbing to set your anchor along with locking biners to attach to the webbing, and this is what you will run your rope thru. Make sure you set the biners so that the gates are opposite. Don't use larege D biners, steel oval ones work best. For rope, your probably want a 60m 10mm or 10.5 mm dynamic rope. The elasticity in dynamic rope breaks your falls better. Also ropes get pretty beat up when top roping so a heavier 10mm or 10.5 mm would work best. The most important thing is that you set up a safe and reliable anchor. Don't tie your webbing around the root of a tree like I've seen some idiots do. Tree trunks work well or small boulders. Check your water knots on your webbing, and try to set up some sort of fail safe system where if one piece of webbing breaks, another piece will catch and you wont go crashing to the ground. Hope this helps.

sideshow_dan

Aug 29, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #3 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest going with someone who knows what they are doing.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out tips about setting up anchors etc to someone who didn't know what kind of rope they should be using.

chalked4dyno

Aug 29, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #4 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out tips about setting up anchors etc to someone who didn't know what kind of rope they should be using.

AMEN!

skinnyjim

Aug 29, 2004, 9:04 PM
Post #5 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read a book about climbing, such as How to Rock Climb by John Long, and hopefully from that you can learn and understand some of the basic concepts... Don't get in over your head.

pylonhead

Aug 29, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what do we need to go outdoor top rope climbing? the one at the bottom that is called "Otherside" 5.7 - 5.7, has anyone climbed it?? we have the shoes, harnesses, and belays. What kind of rope do we need, and do we need pulleys and stuff?? any help would be appreciated!! thanks!

Find someone who knows what they are doing to show you what to do, then to observe you when it's time for you to set up the anchors.

As for the routes, the ones you should be looking at are in the Face Routes section:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listSection.php?SectionID=3193

These are the ones on the main beach, they're fun routes, they vary from 5.6 up to 5.9. If you're looking for stuff harder than that, you can work the oceanfacing routes. The Otherside route is actually on the other side of the cliff, and like they say.. they just set it up because they couldn't get to the face climbs because of the tide.

jamaica

Aug 29, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #7 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I second that, my father knew a man who thought he knew what he was doing and had read the books and all, but no experience with an instructor. Unfortuanately the man died. I suggest going many many times with people who are very knowledged in climbing.

Jamaica 8^)

gunked

Aug 30, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #8 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

-Buy a magazine called "Climbing" or "Rock & Ice".
-Look in the back under guides.
-Call one in your area.

Climbing is NEVER to be taken lightly. As climbers (experienced climbers), we often take for granted the incredible amount of information and experience we have amassed. It is this experience and info. that keeps us alive from day to day in the vertical.

As we spout out information to people that clearly have no knowledge of our past-time, outside of the gym or what they saw on TV or read in a book, we are encouraging them to go outside with "our written words" and hopefully, not die. :idea:

Wake up people! We need to have the common sense to know when to tell people to seek a professional. Perhaps if you're not able to see that this person has NO CLUE about climbing outdoors, then you might need a little more professional or better qualified instruction for yourself.

A climbing gym is kinda like a carnival or a ropes course. They set up everything and make it "safe" while allowing you to experience "perceived risk". Now, I realize a gym's not completely safe, and I'm not looking to get into a debate over it, but, would you give someone advice on how to make a '300 zipline in their backyard or would you recommend that they have it professionally done.

Let's all use a little common sense and be more responsible, shall we?!?

I'm not trying to piss people off here. I'm trying to keep them alive! :wink:

-Jason :D

godskid5

Aug 30, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #9 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For rope, your probably want a 60m 10mm or 10.5 mm dynamic rope. The elasticity in dynamic rope breaks your falls better. Also ropes get pretty beat up when top roping so a heavier 10mm or 10.5 .

You don't need a dynamic rope to top rope with. A static works fine. In top roping your fall is limited, if at all with a good belayer. A dynamic is however a must for any and all lead climbing.

Get a guide, or a good instructor with lots of experience!

iclimblilrocks

Aug 30, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #10 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok first off, Instead of trying to set a tr anchor, you should go to a gym. Its much safer... How do I know that it would be safer for you? because You didnt even know what Kind of rope to use... Climbing is very dangerous, I too have made an anchor with out any assitance from skilled climbers, And I could have killed one of my family members or myself. But I also Had somewhat Of a clue of what I was doing. you might say, well there is bolts on top, Im sure that you cant tell the differance between a bad bolt and a good one....

please Either find a exprerianced partner, or find a gym.. you will live much longer if you do so... Im just trying to keep you alive...

korntera

Aug 30, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #11 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to agree with all of the posts that say "go with someone who knows what they are doing" a book is great but it won't help you in real life situations because unless you are climbing the same route there will be variables that you need to have an experienced climber work through. Climb inside for a while at a gym then find somebody to take you climbing on their rope. You wouldn't want to buy $200 worth of equipment to find out you dont like sport/TR climbing.

sbaclimber

Aug 30, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #12 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will have to strongly agree with just about everyone else who has so far replied to this post... DO NOT SET UP TRs WITHOUT FIRST LEARNING FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING (never mind leading)!!!
I have, and have seen others who have, and have seen some of the nasty falls and injuries that have resulted. Reading books is helpful, and I read many as a beginner climber, but absolutely nothing can replace the experience gained over years of climbing, and this can only be SAFELY gained when passed on from a competent more experienced climber.
I know how tempting is to just head out to the rocks without an experienced partner, but only a huge amount of luck and probably a few angels will keep you from serious injury or worse, if you do. Please take all of our advice seriously. Climbing is the best life sport to have, but only if you are still alive to enjoy it!

lcerick

Sep 1, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #13 of 13 (10118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

.....did I see pulleys?.....

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook