RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

saderinger

Sep 1, 2004, 5:15 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Scarry omega pin problem!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About two weeks ago a friend and I made a trip the wind river range for some climbing. Before we left we stoped by a local outfitter and bought an omega Jake locking biner. Our first second climb with the biner my friend noticed that the bottom pin on the gate of the biner was begining to slide out. He was using the biner to belay off of so in somewhat of a panic he told me to get confortable while he slid another biner into the system. It was quite scarry and a first on gear failure for me. The purpose of this post is two-fold.

1) to find out if anyone else has heard of this problem

2) to reinforce the fact that everyone should always check out any new gear to the fullest extent possible.

thanks
anthony

the problem was reported and the biner was submited for examination but i have not heard anything on it as of yet

billcoe_

Sep 1, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Re: Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if you got one that had been sitting in a gear shop and missed the last recall? If you type Omega carabiner and recall into Google you get several bits of old info about recalls.

I'd like to hear what Omega says when they evaluate your biner- please post their response later.

saderinger

Sep 1, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will post a reply when i hear back from omega!

I also wanted to say that the outfitter was very sympathetic and gave a full refund along with there sencere apologies and I will shop there again. I do not hold them responsible at all.

michaellane

Sep 3, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,

As manufacturers, we take these issues extremely seriously, so I thought I'd post here to let you know what we're doing about this report ...

We were notified by the retail store on Wednesday, Sep 1 of the issue. The only contact information they were able to provide was an email address, unfortunately, so although I sent Tim, the customer, an email right away, there was no immediate way to get hold of him.

Anthony, who posted the initial notice, is Tim's partner, and he posted the same day. As soon as I saw the thread last night, I PM'd him and spoke with him today on the phone.

Since we were notified two days ago, we have pulled our production records for review and have begun the process of an internal audit of production and quality control procedures. This carabiner was part of a very small production run from April 2003 and is the only one we've been notified about as having a problem.

The carabiner arrived this morning via FedEx and we have begun our physical examination and analysis of the item.

We'll investigate the matter completely and will be happy to share our findings when we complete them. As an ISO 9000 company whose products are CE-Certified, UL-Classified, etc. we take great pride in building quality and reliable goods. When we hear about one that may have fallen short, it makes us all very queasy; we understand how devastating even a single bad product can be. Fortunately, we haven't had to respond to these kinds of issues very often in our twenty years of building climbing gear. Even though we ship over a million 'biners a year, we know that every single one of them is, potentially, the one you're hanging your life on.

As a note to any of you who may have a similar issue with gear from any company in the future, I would recommend that you immediately contact the company directly. Although our dealer responded properly, the process of addressing a quality issue can be implemented much more quickly if the company is informed by the user at the time of incident.

Best Regards and, as always, please feel free to contact me or anyone here if you have any questions.

--Lane

michaellane@omegapac.com

killclimbz

Sep 3, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Anyone who has been in this game long enough has seen quite a few recalls. I love OP stuff and will continue to buy your biners among other products. I've had a few pieces of gear that have been part of recalls over the years. None of them were Omega products.

billcoe_

Sep 3, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Impressive Mike: thanks from all of us for the quick response.

-added-
PS, other users , check this out: click on MICHAELANES name to see his user profile.

Michael, got pics of those cams posted on this site yet?? Link? (Sorry for the thread hijack)

Neoshade

Aug 12, 2010, 3:44 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

FYI - I recently bought a handful of OP Dovals (rounded-D non-lockers) for gear racking and rigging, and because I loved the design :)
I noticed immediately that the wire clipped the edge of the nose, It was a tiny bit too flexible and off-center, such that one-handed opening caused it to torque slightly and "click" the nose on the palm-side as it opened and closed. It's only on the right-handed palm side that it catches. (logo side)
This worried me a little, but as I was using them for spare rigging and racking I kept them. They only "click" and have never cought.

A very slight clicking or rubbing is common in all biners, but these were more noticeable and palpable.
Again, this is not a safety issue - but only portends the possiblity of one (could it catch completely, and not shut?), and remains just an annoyance.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this - but in the end, they are good biners, and I use them regularly. There has never been a case of the wire-gate catching completely, just bothers me a bit.

circello

Aug 12, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Neoshade] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to resurrect a 6 year old thread with an unrelated comment.

marc801

Aug 12, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [circello] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

circello wrote:
n00bs keep doing this.
Time to put that posting date in bold, 28 point type! Maybe even a "Hey! You're replying to a 6 year old post, confirming your n00bdom!" message!

billcoe_

Aug 12, 2010, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Neoshade] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Given that you searched for a 6 year old post wherein the phone number of the factory was right above yours, what can you possibly expect us to say to your query?

OK, here, I'll try. CALL THE FACTORY AND DISCUSS IT WITH THEM. DO YOU NEED THEIR PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS? GOOD LUCK!!!

Hope that helped you.

Neoshade wrote:
FYI - I recently bought a handful of OP Dovals (rounded-D non-lockers) for gear racking and rigging, and because I loved the design :)
I noticed immediately that the wire clipped the edge of the nose, It was a tiny bit too flexible and off-center, such that one-handed opening caused it to torque slightly and "click" the nose on the palm-side as it opened and closed. It's only on the right-handed palm side that it catches. (logo side)
This worried me a little, but as I was using them for spare rigging and racking I kept them. They only "click" and have never cought.

A very slight clicking or rubbing is common in all biners, but these were more noticeable and palpable.
Again, this is not a safety issue - but only portends the possiblity of one (could it catch completely, and not shut?), and remains just an annoyance.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this - but in the end, they are good biners, and I use them regularly. There has never been a case of the wire-gate catching completely, just bothers me a bit.

patmay81

Aug 12, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
circello wrote:
n00bs keep doing this.
Time to put that posting date in bold, 28 point type! Maybe even a "Hey! You're replying to a 6 year old post, confirming your n00bdom!" message!
quit the flaming! He did a search (most n00bs forget to do this) and this was the closest thing he came to a previous post that pertains to his concern. get off his case.
to the issue of your biners "faulty" action, is there risk of the gate not closing on the nose? is it a wire gate? Is it something you should bring to the attention of OP? Pictures of the issue? If they are annoying, even if seeming safe, I'd trade them out for new biners (different brand/style). Whats the return policy where you bought them?

marc801

Aug 12, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
quit the flaming! He did a search (most n00bs forget to do this) and this was the closest thing he came to a previous post that pertains to his concern.
If he weren't a n00b, he'd have realized it was time to start a new thread.

Edit to add: and he would have placed it in the appropriate forum, like Gear Heads, instead of Injury Treatment and Prevention.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 13, 2010, 12:14 AM)

onceahardman

Aug 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saderinger] Scarry omega pin problem! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey mods, can this thread be moved to gearheads or somewhere else relevant, please?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook