RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

brad_man

Sep 1, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Backyard highlining....??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It was just a thought I had while sitting in class, because of course, what else is school good for besides daydreaming...

Say you found two good sized trees, put the slackline about 15-20 ft. up (as high as you can without trees bending) and either used an extension ladder or a nailed-on 2x4 block ladder to get up. Then harness up and practice highlining in your own backyard!

Anybody ever do this?

Also, how do highliners tie from their harness to the slack line?
Double 8 on your harness, double 8 on biner, attached to line? Would that work?

8^)

Partner coldclimb

Sep 1, 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #2 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backyard highlining....?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Preliminary D!sclaimer: Never highlined before. Everything I know about it I have learned from the internet (soon to change that by doing it with people more skilled and knowledgable than I).

Regarding tieing in, there's several threads here that give lots of different methods of leashing. Might scroll through the forum and check some out. :)

As for backyard highlining, you might be interested in this picture by slackinghigh I think. ;) I'd got a bit higher than 15-20 feet, to be certain that the leash has room to catch you.

And of course, always learn from someone who knows what the heck they're doing. Just throwing up a line in your backyard might kill you. Be smart. :)

Edit: uhh... why won't this let me write "d!sclaimer"?

actionfigure

Sep 1, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #3 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw a photo like this.

brad_man

Sep 2, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #4 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is the raddest thing I've ever seen
I can just imagine passerbyer's doing a double take...wt...wt...F!

thanks coldclimb

johnson6102002

Sep 2, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #5 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is insane especially in that yard right by the road the neighbors must be kinda freiked out. How did he get the line to be soo tight to be able to do that i have a hard time getting my 30 footer tight enough

therealbovine

Sep 2, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #6 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We do this all the time. As a matter of fact we have one set up permanently (though we check the line and rigging every time we use it for UV damage, etc.). The rig we use is a little different from the typical highline or lowline rig. First off, we use a doubled line. Secondly, we rig (2) anchors in the "tensioning" tree. One at the "line height" and one at the base of the tree. We then use a pulley/tensioning system that runs vertically up & down the tree, between these two anchor points to tighten the highline above. If I remembered how to submit a photo to this reply, I'd do so with a full diagram. As far as your leash goes, check some past posts for good ideas. Remember also, if you take a leash fall, you will be a good 6-10 feet below the highline at maximum stretch, so make sure your highline is as high as possible in the tree, and away from any branches that you might hit.

Best of luck!

climbdalax

Oct 7, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #7 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, we (my buddies and I) have done this on campus where I go to school. We have some huge old oak trees on campus (roughly 45 feet apart) in which we threw up a highline on. The line was about 25 feet up. We set the lines by "shimmying" up the trees as far as possible and tossing the lines through the crotch of the trees. It worked pretty well, but was a pain to get up to the line. But, to answer your question, it is very possible to set one in your backyard. Have fun.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Oct 11, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #8 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We do this all the time. As a matter of fact we have one set up permanently (though we check the line and rigging every time we use it for UV damage, etc.). The rig we use is a little different from the typical highline or lowline rig. First off, we use a doubled line. Secondly, we rig (2) anchors in the "tensioning" tree. One at the "line height" and one at the base of the tree. We then use a pulley/tensioning system that runs vertically up & down the tree, between these two anchor points to tighten the highline above. If I remembered how to submit a photo to this reply, I'd do so with a full diagram. As far as your leash goes, check some past posts for good ideas. Remember also, if you take a leash fall, you will be a good 6-10 feet below the highline at maximum stretch, so make sure your highline is as high as possible in the tree, and away from any branches that you might hit.

That is interesting. Do you have any pictures of this set up. ?

slackinjacklyn

Nov 6, 2005, 6:08 AM
Post #9 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Question - Suppose one had a big yard with one (only one) great large tree. Could one then install a (cable re-enforced) phone pole (or double or triple poles lashed together), buried deep and well cemented, 40 feet or whatever distance desired from the tree, and 18 feet high or so for a permenant highline rig?? (correctly installed and maintained of course). High enough not to groundfall on the leash but low as possible to be somewhat obscure (and hopefully not be subject to building permits, etc...). I'm just brainstorming here but having just returned from the Moab slackfest my mind is wandering.

-Terry

greenketch

Nov 6, 2005, 8:45 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slackinjacklin, I might be blowing steam but it seems there is a bad zone in there. You can walk a regular line up to 10 or so feet depending on how far you mind falling. When you go to a tethered highline your 6ish feet plus a tether plus strech is about 18--20 feet. You would probably ground if you fell from less than that. Rig a seperate saftey line or go higher. I think that there has been some posts bypepes with more experience than me in this one.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 7, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #11 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

20 feet is good. See this pic for some evidence on that. As for the pole, if you buried it deep and solid and guyed it off strong, and kept your line relatively short (20-30 feet is my best guess), you might be in business. But then you might go through a whole lot of effort to find that it doesn't work, since I don't believe I've heard of anyone trying this before. You'd be the first to try it that I know of. I'm kinda curious to see if it would work.

On an interesting note, it's cool to see how far one can come in a year. Since my last post to this thread, I've helped rig several highlines, rigged a couple of my own that worked, and successfully walked two. It's a good life. :D Hats off to those who helped make it happen.

veganboyjosh

Nov 7, 2005, 3:49 AM
Post #12 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seth has a(/some?) poles set up for a highline. see the gallery at www.positiveresoles.com. i dunno how deep they are, but it looks fun.

i'd also go with the 20 feet number. anything less and you're messing about with decking. not good.

slackinjacklyn

Nov 7, 2005, 5:42 AM
Post #13 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is all very useful, thanks I love the input and the photos you guys pointed me to (and send more of each). I have to carefully consider height and torque and I think a guy wire would be essential.
I currently have a "mini highline" (my term) set up from the tree to my porch roof. 26 feet long and only 10 feet up, so I protect it with a toprope whose anchor is on a high overhead branch (man I wish I had a second large tree like Dylan). While my setup does not come too close to duplicating the highline experience (as evidenced by my daring 18 inch highline walk at Moab last week), I think it is still useful, I can practice line catches, and I'm now walking it much better thanks to some tips I got from you guys last week. I'll post photos of my current setup soon but right now my girlfriends digital camera is in the shop.
The new pole/tree setup I am contemplating would be a project for next spring if I decide I can pull it off. That would make for a fun backyard.

-Terry

Partner coldclimb

Nov 7, 2005, 5:57 AM
Post #14 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That would make for a fun backyard.

-Terry

Heck yeah. :D Looking at Seth's pics in the link Josh found I'd say it's possible. Wish Seth was on here to give more info, but I'm sure someone here knows of that line. That one doesn't even look all that short either. Maybe it's more bomber than I thought.

niles

Nov 8, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #15 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might find someone who's qualified to build high ropes courses. They'd probably give you some good beta on how to guy everything down, how deep to sink your pole, and maybe even how high to make it.

Seems like the whole thing would cost a fair amount of $$$ though...? And where in the world do you acquire a mondo pole like that?

uncleslackline

Nov 9, 2005, 2:55 AM
Post #16 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I did this years ago!
I am the proud owner of a twenty four foot high telephone pole set in six feet of concrete, with two cable guy line back to two other poured in place
concrete dawgs. It works fine!
For the other side, I did not want to get stuck with one leangth line, so I built an eighteen foot tall a-frame.
Shawn had walked mine before he and Seth built the one at the Sethpool.
They did not use concrete. Im not sure how deep the poles go. And they have more guy lines, but their guy lines are of rope and webbing. Mine are cable.
I want to build portable highlines so that we can set this type of line up at festivals across the country.
Twenty feet off the deck adds a wrinkle to a slackline comp, don't you think?

slackinjacklyn

Nov 9, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #17 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. and suggestions. Some info I have gotten - a 26 foot 18" uncut tree from a local sawmill is $300 (that is far better than a phone pole I think, much thicker and stronger). I would bury it maybe 6 feet deep? Also it is apparently not subject to zoning regulations (for zoning purposes it is the equivelant to a flagpole). If I actually decided to do this I was worried that zoning regulations would be the most likely thing to prevent me from executing it so that is a relief. Also I have no close neighbors. I'm sure 1 or 2 cabled guy lines and all the concrete would cost a few bucks too. Beyond that its just alot of labor. Still, a permenant highline in my backyard would be an absolute blast I think. (I'm thinking about 50 ft long?). Any more input on any of this is very welcomed. If I built this it probably wouldn't be until next spring so I have lots of time to think about it or change my mind.

-Terry

areyoumydude

Nov 10, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #18 of 18 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"If you build it they will come"

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook