Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

climberchic and camsticker moving to SW Colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

Ivan and I will be moving to the Dolores area at the start of the year.

Anyone from SW CO know of any good climbing around that area (or within a few hours drive)?

The lack of a gym close by will be a shock to the system, so we are going to build a wall in the RVport, but would like to find some bouldering in the area for after work and some climbing areas for the weekend.

Any ideas (I hope :()?

mbg

Sep 2, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #2 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moving to SW Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The San Juans, while being the most beatuiful mountains in CO, are unfortunitely pretty chossy as far as rock climbing goes. That said, Telluride/Ophir have some good routes and you are not too far from Naturita and Penitente, both nice sport areas. Durango has some crags but I've not heard much about those.

And if you climb ice, the San Juans are the place to be.

Good luck!

atg200

Sep 2, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #3 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Re: climberchic and camsticker moving to SW Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, thats the middle of nowhere.

i'll meet up with you guys at indian creek a few times this fall. its not far at all from there.

andrew

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 2, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #4 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone from SW CO know of any good climbing around that area (or within a few hours drive)?

pft, just come to the denver area to climb. 8^)

dlintz

Sep 2, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #5 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a fair amount of climbing in Unaweep Canyon. Highwayt 141 runs through it, one of my favorite drives. Plenty of bouldering, trad, and sport. Be mindful of private property and potential access issues.

For more info check out: http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/db/unaweep_canyon/

d.

flamer

Sep 2, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #6 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There's a fair amount of climbing in Unaweep Canyon. Highwayt 141 runs through it, one of my favorite drives. Plenty of bouldering, trad, and sport. Be mindful of private property and potential access issues.

For more info check out: http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/db/unaweep_canyon/

d.

Yep I was going to suggest unaweep as well. It's a really cool place!

The black canyon isn't to far away either...

Might I ask what in the sam hell you're moving to dolores for?

josh

imnotafraid

Sep 2, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #7 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, so it is actually happening. well the climbing does not seem quite as great as AZ, but the house you are getting is amazing, congrats. you will be missed greatly. san juans are beautiful, just need to get into some serious shape with the eleveation gain. uh oh, got to get back to work, i am being watched

bobd1953

Sep 2, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #8 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep I was going to suggest unaweep as well. It's a really cool place!

The black canyon isn't to far away either...

Might I ask what in the sam hell your moving to dolores for?

josh

Dolores is cool little town with a fair amount of excellent bouldering and climbing near-by. Dolores Canyon has some excellent crack routes (just like Indian Creek) and you are not to far away many excellent climbing areas. Will talk to more this weekend and I can give you the names of climbing friends in the area.

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow....that's a lot of replies really fast ;)

As far as why the sam hell we're moving there: Our boss just opend an office in Cortez and Ivan and I have always wanted to live in CO. We though this was the perfect opportunity seeing as how we both have jobs lined up already. We have a few friends in Durango and we went up to take a look at the area a little while ago and it seems perfect for us to start our CO adventures. Plus, both of our families and a group of amazing people (imnotafraid for one) we hang out with on a regular basis would be an ambitious drive away instead of a plane ride.

Thanks all for your suggestions. BobD ~ I'll defintely be talking to you about the bouldering in Dolores this weekend!

Andrew~ That sounds like a great plan. Amber ~ Denver is a bit far to climb regularly, but very do-able in a weekend. Expect to see more of me, girlie!

mgb, dlintz~ Thanks for the great suggestions! I've been doing a lot of searching on the internet and Unaweep hasn't come up.

flamer ~ East Animas in Durango is supposed to be a great sport area (for the area) and there are a few new harded areas being developed as we speak.

Thanks again all! We're sad to leave AZ (but not Phoenix and the why-are-you-people-going-to-have-to-make-me-kill-you traffic), but we're really stoked to be a part of your happy family :)

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #10 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wow, so it is actually happening. well the climbing does not seem quite as great as AZ, but the house you are getting is amazing, congrats. you will be missed greatly. san juans are beautiful, just need to get into some serious shape with the eleveation gain. uh oh, got to get back to work, i am being watched

Thanks Bob. We'll miss the frequency that we were able to hang with you guys, but we will not miss you guys! I fully expect you guys to be taking regular trips up to get out of the heat and we'll be down there monthly, I'm sure. Think 11 family members and about 5 super-close friends. That's a whole lotta birthdays!

bobd1953

Sep 2, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #11 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgot to add: Naurita for bouldering and sport routes, the Golf Wall near Durango and about 2.5 hours away Penitente Canyon.

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect, Bob. Much closer! I've heard of Golf Wall, which is supposed to be hard, but that's a good thing :wink: , but not Naturita. Will definitely look into that.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 2, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #13 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erica, on a more serious note, i've been around durango a couple of times and loved it. i'd be happy to drive out there or meet you guys somewhere just about any time. and, if you end up in the boulder area, you're obviousy welcome to crash at my place.

amber

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #14 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amber, that sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks for the invite. We spent many weekends this summer in Durango and it's a really fun town. Cool people, great bars, good music....a lot like Tempe used to be before it got the corporate cancer.

We will be about an hour from Telluride and about the same from Purgatory, so the offer is open to you as well (although for any time of the year). We'll have plenty of guest space at the new digs!

reno

Sep 2, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #15 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now you'll be close enough to join us for the Ouray Ice Festival.

:)

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #16 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now you'll be close enough to join us for the Ouray Ice Festival.

:)

Ice? Me?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaa......ahhhhh. Sorry, that was funny.

I'm a dork. :roll:

But I DO love Ouray and I think it would be neato to watch you all climb them cold thingies. I'd love to come up and hang with y'all! Any room for a non-ice climber??

woodse

Sep 2, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #17 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dolores, eh?

You and Ivan are gonna have to develop some new stuff, I've seen plenty of great looking lines out there. There is some stuff near yellow jacket, I'll find out more and let you know. Other than that I'll pick yuns up on the way to the creek! You guys are gonna love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

woodsE---your new neighbor

curt

Sep 2, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #18 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You mean to tell me that we have to give up Erica and Ivan to Colorado--and all we get in return is a lousy Reno? I think we got screwed. :lol:

Curt

madmax

Sep 2, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #19 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the area. :) Like Bob D. said, Dolores has some sweet bouldering and Durango has even better stuff, you're about two hours from the excellent and demanding climbing at Ophir, Falls Wall in Telluride offers fun conglomerate sport climbing, East Animas has many superb routes (of which most of the moderate ones are trad and some of which are full 200' foot rope stretchers), Golf Wall is a fun steep pile of limestone choss (it's actually not that bad), and if you look in the database you will find a new area being developed for awesome granite sport climbing. Oh yeah, and we have some of the best mountain biking and backcountry skiing in the country.

jcinco

Sep 2, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #20 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You know, I've been hearing some good things about an obscure climbing area a couple of hours west of there.

Something about super cracks??

reno

Sep 2, 2004, 9:09 PM
Post #21 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You mean to tell me that we have to give up Erica and Ivan to Colorado--and all we get in return is a lousy Reno? I think we got screwed.

Um.... Hey, Curt?

Bite me.

:wink:

madmax

Sep 2, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #22 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You know, I've been hearing some good things about an obscure climbing area a couple of hours west of there.

Something about super cracks??

Yeah, I think I've been there before ("Indian" somthing) but all I found was a couple chossy cracks out in the middle of nowhere. Nope, nothing out there, nothing.

epic_ed

Sep 2, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #23 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed at Golf Wall and a sandstone crag just north of Durango -- can't remember the name, but it's right behind the hospital. Beautiful place to climb. Plus you have all dem 14er's in your backyard!! Cool.

I haven't even met Reno yet, and I know we're getting the short end of the trade. :( :P

Why the move? Where are you slackers going to find work?

bobd1953

Sep 2, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #24 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I haven't even met Reno yet, and I know we're getting the short end of the trade.

Wait to you meet him. You'll feel even worst.

climberchic

Sep 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #25 of 64 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dolores, eh?

You and Ivan are gonna have to develop some new stuff, I've seen plenty of great looking lines out there. There is some stuff near yellow jacket, I'll find out more and let you know. Other than that I'll pick yuns up on the way to the creek! You guys are gonna love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

woodsE---your new neighbor

No WAY!! It speaks!! :P

Here's the main reason why we're moving out there! (j/k) But it certainly helps to already have friends where you're going.

Jeff~ I'd love to hear more about the Yellow Jacket stuff. That's really close I think.

Ed~ Our boss just opened a new office in Cortez. (About 5 minutes from our new place). Guess who volunteered to go up :) Luckily, the work we do can be done from almost anywhere in the southwest. All of our jobs right now are in CO. and NV. (Ivan has a few clients in AZ, but nothing that ties him there), so there's no reason why we couldn't work from that office.

madmax~ Thanks for the welcome! It'll be the beginning of the year until we are up there permanently (when we get our house sold), but will be up there frequently on weekends until then. We'll definitely have to hook up to climb soon. Do you know Jeff Woods (woodse)?

Um, and I'm really sorry about the Reno trade. The same thing happened to the Diamonbacks and they never recoevered.

Just joshin' Reno! I'm sure you're going to love it there. Everyone will think you're swell as long as you fill in the void that we left:

1. You must organize big gatherings and then fall asleep during key party times and miss all the fun.
2. You must learn to climb tall trees and then fall out of them.
3. You must know and love the hookah (shisha people, relax) and bring it to all gatherings of more than 1 person.
4. For no apparent reason, you must wander around aimlessly through Queen Creek yelling, "Maaaaaaaaaaaarley!!!!!!!"

and last but not least, (sigh) and this is the tough one:

5. Curt gets sexual favors as he needs them, which is pretty much always. (he's going to really miss Ivan)

:twisted:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook