RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

ascender30

Sep 7, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Sonora Pass Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy all. New to the website, old to Trad. I just moved out to California, Monterey Area. I was previously in Maryland...LET'S TALK SENECA ROCKS!!!... Been daytripping to Pinnacles National Monument on weekends with weeknights in Sanctuary Rock Gym.

Got up to Sonora Pass this past Saturay/Sunday before Labor day. Sunny and hot in the sun...cool and shady in the shade...go figure. Climbed at the Third Buttress, high up in the pass. "Z-Cracks" was cool...three pitches with a 5.10a runout crux, most of the rest of the climb was 5.8ish.
Cool undercling start to "Let The Guilty Hang"...'cept the bolts were FUNNY...bout 2.5 feet apart for the first 5 bolts....guess the bolter LOVES safety.

Hit Burst Rock next, Green Acres, FunHouse, and Baffin areas. Great granite, in the shade. Coupla good bolted 5.11s and some fun trad up to 5.9. Great assortment of cracks, stemming, laybacks, mantels. Shorter routes here than up in the pass. Nights camping were cool and windy, brisk mornings, but warmed up quickly.

Going to The Needles in two weeks, for two days. Never been. Got my eye on Thin Ice...looks incredible. Any Beta?? Hear the approach is rigorous, but I climbed in the Alps for a few years and don't mind a hike in.

Drop a line, say hi....I'm gonna be here in Cali for a few years and can't wait to hit it all....Bishop, Yosemite, Lover's Leap, Tahquitz, JTree..... Mmmmmmmmm.

"There's no Jesus like show-Jesus!..............and wear your helmet!"

mungeclimber

Sep 10, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sonora Pass Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey ascender30,

Glad you had a good time up on the Pass. Pinnacles season is just around the corner for me. Til then, Sonora pass is my figurative climbing home (well, after I get rid of this case of poison oak).

pm me or email at my site if you want to hit sonora pass areas again.

cheers,
Munge

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook