RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

madbolter

May 17, 2002, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Bigwall.com, what do you think?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

www.bigwall.com

As the force behind bigwall.com, I am looking for input from the rc.com aid climbers.

1) What do you think about it in general?

2) What would you like to see added?

3) I'm looking to revamp the photo section in a big way. The reason it's never really grown is that the way I was doing it sucked. I, err, needed to find a "Better Way!" What format do you like to view photos? Slideshows? Links?

4) Do you think it needs a Forum or are there too many out there already
(r.c.com being one of them)?

I'm not looking for brown nosing suckup comments that just gush about how cool it is (not that I mind that, but I'm looking for ways to improve the site, not my hat size)...just give me your honest appraisal. I'm a big boy.

Also seeking submissions
I'm also going to put out a call for submissions. Updated topos (or topos of routes that are obscure/new/unavailable elsewhere on the web, etc), Trip Reports of your ascents, and Photos.

If you want to see bigwall.com get better, HELP MAKE IT BETTER!

Thanks!

Partner russman

May 17, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Bigwall.com, what do you think? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I briefly skimmed it while at lunch and here were some of the things I thought.

Disclaimer: I am not a big waller...but would love to try one in the future. Just general web ideas/suggestions.

1. More links on either the bottom or top of every page so I don't have to keep hitting the BACK button to cruise the site.

2. The size of the site to fit a tiny browser size...harder to see and more distracting.

3. Pictures are very grainy & pixilated. Could work on a better way to upload them so they are more clear.

4. a biggy that I saw. www.rockclimbing.com is not linked in your links page. We are hands down the biggest and most indepth TOTAL CLIMBING site online and we are not on your list...but you are soliciting our input. I hope you will change that, as well as add your page to our links pages too.

I just cruised it fast. Hope that helps and is a start. Will try to look at it more later.

Nice to have you around also

The Russman

fiend

May 17, 2002, 6:08 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too many splash pages, I'd say get rid of the second one and place a better menu on each page of each section at the top where it's easy to access.

Those are my major design issues, other than that it's a good start.

milesdesbrie

May 17, 2002, 6:17 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bigwall.com fan, and have gleaned a fair amount of useful info/beta from it. As far as what I'd like to see on it, I'd say more of the same...more trip reports, more route beta, definitely more photos. As far as forums, if they're not too much of a pain to implement, go ahead and give them a shot, perhaps if you build it they will come.

mikedano

May 17, 2002, 6:22 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing I would change is the name of the site to bigBALLS.com. That would be sweet...

Edit addition: Ha! I didn't know that just typing the site would automatically create a link. I just went there--woah!
(Not really, it's my favorite site besides this one. Psyche!)

*Edited by fiend to change link. I know it was unintentional, but it's highly innapropriate

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2002-05-17 11:57 ]

bigwalling

May 18, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't add a forum! Look at supertopo his forum started good and got out of control. It still has good posts but alot of them are worthless posts. Pete has managed to control alot of people from posting this worthless stuff. The fact that we have the choss pile forum has managed to help keep people out of the aid forum.

I would add more photos. They will bring alot to your site. Some people just want to see photos. I really don't care about pics aton but there cool. The topo collection is great so keep up the good work.

spike

May 21, 2002, 3:24 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Madbolter,
1. Stay focused --- BIG WALLS !!! --- only.
2. Topos & CURRENT Beta are the sites strengths.
3. Trip Reports are great to motivate.
4. Pictures of the actual routes with lines showing the route support the Topos.
5. Big Wall climbers are always looking for tech. tips! How To . . . and gear reviews.

FYI - Scott & I are leaving 05/22/02 for Zion to do G-Money A2+, will be sending beta and trip report.
Richard / SPIKE

[ This Message was edited by: spike on 2002-05-21 08:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spike on 2002-05-21 08:26 ]

johnhenry

May 24, 2002, 7:55 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Done Rex!!!

It is great to see some high quality topos on a free sight, especially for Zion!!!

I would forgo the forum. Things get pretty stagnant without someone like PTPP to keep the ball rolling (look at Supertopo.com!!!).

The graphic picture images with the routes super-imposed are the bomb. The more obscure stuff is really welcome .

I hope I can make a contribution in the near future! Thanks for the daydream!!!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook