Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
What's the general opinion of CheapHolds.com?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ikellen

Sep 28, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

What's the general opinion of CheapHolds.com?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

To be honest, im not that impressed with this place. They say it takes them 10 days just to process an order before it even ships. Now, I'm generally pretty patient when it comes to waiting for things in the mail, but this 10 days sounds like B$ to me. They claim the 10 days is due to the high number of orders they recieve, but in comparison, I ordered something from GearExpress on sunday, and it was shipped out yesterday. I don't know much about the underbelly of the climbing industry, but I would guess gear express gets more orders than cheapholds, yet they still can process orders way faster. I think this is the last time I order from them. Yes their stuff is pretty cheap, but it takes almost 3 weeks for an order to get to you with ground shipping.

What's everyone elses opinion on them?

caughtinside

Sep 28, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #2 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's the general opinion of CheapHolds.com? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I hear they make climbing holds. Also, I think they sell them relatively cheaply.

I think they're on the internet somewhere, so you can order online...

:P

daryl314

Sep 28, 2004, 8:04 PM
Post #3 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i ordered holds from them last year and was really happy with them. if i was going to buy more holds, they'd probably be the first people i'd call. i was looking for very specific types of holds, and they were extremely helpful over the phone in helping me find what i was looking for. they could just be understaffed now. back when i ordered from them, it didn't take an inordinately long time for the holds to arrive.

c-money
Deleted

Sep 28, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #4 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of small companies do not keep a big inventory in stock.

They may need to produce the holds and actually make the stock to fill your order.

A lot of hold companies have a 1-2 week turn-around, I would assume to make the holds you ordered...

cloudbreak

Sep 28, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #5 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

C-Money is on the money! Voodoo takes around 14 days until they ship....why? ......cause they're like Jack in the Box....they don't make it 'till you order it.

Just be patient......

Partner sauron

Sep 28, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #6 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be honest, im not that impressed with this place. They say it takes them 10 days just to process an order before it even ships. Now, I'm generally pretty patient when it comes to waiting for things in the mail, but this 10 days sounds like B$ to me.

What's everyone elses opinion on them?

It's obvious you have not dealt with small companies before.

Cheap Holds are good holds, and cheap.

James even once did a free handout of bags of 100 T-nuts, for people who did a quick quiz with him in chat, years ago.

For comparison, I'm ordering a bunch of truck and compressor parts from a company in Burbank, cali - and they recommended I get my order in quickly, so I can get on the backorder list for some of the items (3-4 weeks).

They, as with Cheap Holds - fabricate a lot of their stuff themselves.

- d.

midtnclimber

Apr 20, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently ordered from Cheapholds and am somewhat disappointed so far. I placed my order back in March and still today, April 20th, the order has not been shipped yet. Does anyone know of another company that has holds for around the same price as cheap holds? They typically give you 5 medium holds for $22. -Thanks in advance. Update - my order was shipped today, finally. The delay was due to a delay in their resin supply shipment. I have searched the web and it seems no one competes with cheap holds price and quality of resin casting. I just wish there was a turn around of no longer than 3 weeks. I was told that they are redesigning their manufacturing process and hoping to reduce future processing times.

UPDATE - I received my holds awhile back and they are awesome. Much better than any other hold I have purchase or climbed on. The texture is the same as when I first received them and that was 3 months ago. Thanks Cheapholds.com you have won my future business.

jgross

Apr 20, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have placed multiple orders (3, I think) with cheapholds.com over the past 2 years, and have been very happy with both their products and their customer service. I'm in Canada, so any shipment from the states takes a long time and sometimes involves customs/duty hassles. James at cheapholds.com has been patient and efficient in answering all my questions (sometimes late at night!), and making sure I get what I ordered as quickly & easily as possible. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

And I have dealt with a few other companies as well (Metolius, Oddity Holds, Entre Prises), and been very happy ordering from them as well.

Be patient, and enjoy your holds!

jg

jgross

Apr 20, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #9 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have placed multiple orders (3, I think) with cheapholds.com over the past 2 years, and have been very happy with both their products and their customer service. I'm in Canada, so any shipment from the states takes a long time and sometimes involves customs/duty hassles. James at cheapholds.com has been patient and efficient in answering all my questions (sometimes late at night!), and making sure I get what I ordered as quickly & easily as possible. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

And I have dealt with a few other companies as well (Metolius, Oddity Holds, Entre Prises), and been very happy ordering from them as well.

Be patient, and enjoy your holds!

(actually, if you have really been waiting since last May 10th, you should not be that patient... :-))

jg

sidepull

Apr 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #10 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I recently ordered from Cheapholds and am very disappointed so far. I placed my order back in May 10th and still today, April 20th, the order has not been shipped yet. Does anyone know of another company that has holds for around the same price as cheap holds? They typically give you 5 medium holds for $22. -Thanks in advance

I'm assuming you meant March?

If you're looking for another hold company with reasonable prices I'd check http://www.climbingholds.com - I don't think anyone beats their prices and they have a good selection of holds. Threeball climbing also sells hardware (t-nuts, bolts) for really cheap prices. I also have a set of their crimps and really enjoy them.

Returning to the OP's question, as others have hinted you shouldn't assume that because GearExpress has fast turnaround that other smaller companies do too. Hold companies are generally really small outfits and they don't have the money to pay for the software or procurement that can enable such efficient turnaround. I recommend just calming down a bit. Even the big hold companies won't get you the holds super fast. Plus, is getting the holds in another week really going to ruin your training? I doubt it. You other option is to pay out your whazoo for holds that are already in stock at REI or some other retailer.

In an idyllic way it's kind of nice to just wait.

cheapholds

Jul 15, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #11 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi guys,
thanks for all the feedback. i hate delays when i order stuff online, probably more than anyone i know...

this topic obviously started over two years ago, so i think it's time for a little update...

the reason for the delays when ordering holds is not that we are small, understaffed, or don't have the infrastructure. the reason is that we are the manufacturer, not just an online reseller or drop shipper. most hold companies do not stock a million bucks worth of holds. holds are produced as needed. we try to balance the fine line of acceptable lead times, and minimizing costs by not maintaining too large of an inventory. this is usually referred to as "just in time manufacturing" and is very common in many industries. (think dell: they only make the pc when it is ordered.) the trouble comes when your demand grows faster than your "just in time" production allows for. growing companies hit hurdles and are forced to make changes to adapt, or suffer from the consequences of inaction. in the last 6 years we have progressed from hand mixing crappy holds in a 4'x5' room in private garage, to a 4000 sq ft state of the art commercial production facility with automated processing equipment using specially developed innovative materials and methods for production.

we have hit another time in our company life when changes need to be made. we have recently developed an excellent new resin system. we have an extremely fast and efficient hold production process, and have excellent quality control, and are always expanding the product line. the biggest problem we face right now is turn around time, and we are in the middle of making more changes to adapt. in may of this year, we begin to transition from our "just in time" setup to actually stocking a large amount of inventory. we are physically separating our warehousing and manufacturing to allow better organization and efficiency. we will soon be able to ship all orders within 2 business days. we are not quite up to speed yet, but we are getting there.

i certainly don't intend for this to seem like a shameless plug here. i just wanted to provide a little insight from the owner of the actual company being discussed.

if you are still reading this, thanks! as a sign of my gratitude i am willing to send a free sample hold to the first 15 people who reply with their address. the only requirement is that you reply to this topic (after you have received the sample) regarding the quality of the hold. be honest and specific on texture, color, durability, comfort, and anything else you would like to say. we truly value our customers opinions and always strive to continue to improve our products.

(canada addresses are ok, but you may get hit with normal fees upon delivery)

ok, now for the shameless plug: craterholds.com is working on some pretty cool stuff, should be ready in August. :D

c-money
Deleted

Jul 15, 2006, 4:53 AM
Post #12 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am down.

PM with address has been sent.

Look forward to checking out a sample...

Partner mankyanchor

Jul 15, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #13 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pm sent
this could be fun

rhythmisnothing

Jul 15, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #14 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM'd with address.

I'll report back for sure.

zeroion

Jul 15, 2006, 6:42 AM
Post #15 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome offer!

PM sent with address.

Jul 15, 2006, 7:10 AM
Post #16 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent

sirus2400

Jul 15, 2006, 7:34 AM
Post #17 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im in, Ill let you know when I get them....

bclimbin

Jul 15, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #18 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smokin deal, hook me up

wrbill

Jul 15, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #19 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the holds.

PM sent.

Bill

midtnclimber

Jul 15, 2006, 2:36 PM
Post #20 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM has been sent.

Thanks

curtis_g

Jul 15, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #21 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent. great offer. I'm sure to reply.

My friend ordered a super 60 package from CH.com awhile back and I love her wall. All the types of hold that they classified were very accurate and interesting as well.

I'll be sure to tell you whwat I think of the hold I receive.

jspec7

Jul 15, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #22 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent, thanks for the free hold!

wishiwasamonkey

Jul 15, 2006, 4:14 PM
Post #23 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM: sent with address
Thanks for the free hold offer.

I would like to make a note on the cosmetic seconds from cheap holds. I ordered a few as a gift, and was more than satisified. They where dirt cheap and of only one in about ten could i see any noticable defect, and it was still completely functional as a hold.

cheapholds

Jul 15, 2006, 4:21 PM
Post #24 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all 15 requests have been received. the sample holds will be sent out shortly. thanks everyone, i look forward to your feedback!

Partner ctardi

Jul 15, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #25 of 68 (11322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doh, next time i'll read page 2.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook