RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

Partner phaedrus

Oct 1, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #1 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Eastern Mountain Sports Acquired in Management Buyout
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

September 05, 2004 — The buyout was led by Eastern Mountain Sports President and CEO, Will Manzer, with financing led by J. H. Whitney & Co., LLC.
With more than 80 retail locations, Eastern Mountain Sports outfits outdoor athletes and enthusiasts with authentic gear, clothing, footwear and accessories to participate in a variety of sports including mountaineering, kayaking, climbing, adventure racing, and others.

"Customers of all experience levels trust Eastern Mountain Sports as their guide and community connection to outdoor fun and adventure," stated President and CEO, Will Manzer. "With our new partners, we will continue to strengthen our unique retail model of serving outdoor athletes and enthusiasts. Our offering will reflect our core outdoor values in an aspirational environment, thereby ensuring that the Eastern Mountain Sports brand embodies authenticity and adrenaline in the outdoors."

"We are excited about our partnership with Eastern Mountain Sports and believe the Eastern Mountain Sports retail and brand experience is poised for tremendous growth," said Peter Castleman, Managing Partner of J. H. Whitney & Co. "In less than a year as its CEO, Will Manzer has built an outstanding management team which is positioning Eastern Mountain Sports to be the most sought after brand and retail outfitter in the industry. Whitney has provided significant capital in order to ensure that Eastern Mountain Sports continues to offer its customers the best products and services."

scuclimber

Oct 3, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Re: Eastern Mountain Sports Acquired in Management Buyout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

REI's still better. :P

microbdcamalot

Oct 3, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fuck ems.

picaco

Oct 4, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #4 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
f--- ems.

What's your beef, they've got just as good of deals as REI or any other place. Hell, I shop them regularly as well as Mountain Gear and REI.

Benjamin

rokshoxbkr19

Oct 14, 2004, 2:39 PM
Post #5 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI and EMS SUCK ASS. The prices are way too much, who wants that patagucci shit anyway. Oh yeah, I have never met a single sales clerk in anyone of those stores that has any true idea about the crap they sell. Go ahead, tell me about all the people you know that work there that are experienced and yada yada yada... They still suck

jkarns

Oct 14, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't you fools get it?

This is a GOOD thing and is only going to improve the quality of EMS regarless of where you think that quality is right now. As a former EMS employee, yes, I agree that they are not at all climbing experts. If you are looking for a new sleeping bag or a pair of trail running shoes, they do know their shit. Now, instead of being owned by a retail conglomerate, EMS is owned by the company's upper level management.

It's so funny how some people just start complaining when they see the letters EMS rather than actually looking at what is being discussed!!

spinmanadk

Oct 24, 2004, 5:53 AM
Post #7 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take it from somebody inside the company, this is a very good thing! Will is looking to take the EMS brand to a level of national recognition heretofor unheard of, and the paltry investment capital squeezed out of ARG and the Brenninkmeyers in the past was holding back key R & D and promotion. Keep your eyes peeled for the 180 page Catazine that will drop Nov. 15th and you'll get a good sense of where EMS is going. If you are on the mailing list it will show up at your door. If not, then come in to your local EMS and they will be available for a $2.00 fee. (or just leaf through it in the store without purchasing it if you're really frugal) Or just check out the website after Nov. 15th.
We in the stores have already seen the vision, mostly through some of the incredible gear EMS has come out with for the Winter '04/'05 season. Definitely worth checking out is the EMS 3-layer Expedition Parka, the Velocity 35 sleeping bag, the Quadzilla Fleece Jacket and the Apollo/Medusa soft-shells.
We may not always have 100% rock jock saturation on staff, but we as managers are saavy enough to hire enough climbers to at least have one on the floor while the store is open. And let me tell you, someone who is strictly into climbing does not always have the knowledge, experience or the skills required to answer the questions I see every day regarding GPS/orienteering, snowshoeing, outerwear choices, ultralight backpacking and adventure racing.
On my staff alone I have people who have climbed Mt. Raineer, done first ascents in Alaska, hiked the AT, paddled the Boudary Waters, Hudson Bay and Acadia, climbed the New, the Red, the Gunks, the Dax, Josh and Tuolomne, and successfully completed the Ironman and the NYC Marathon multiple times. I even have a hardcore guy that volunteered for three tours in Vietnam with special ops, then worked for the DEA undercover and while doing that still found time to climb lots of routes with just a swiss seat. He can navigate his way out of any situation and teach you how to do the same, and he can tell you every little feature of every GPS unit we sell and most of the ones we don't. My point is the staffs who work at EMS are the best in the outdoor industry not only for experience and product knowledge, but also for a willingness and talent for teaching.
You might be able to onsight 5.12d, but if you're a pompous ass you have no place on my staff!
Brent

taraus_de_bull

Oct 30, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #8 of 8 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spinmanadk, sounds like you have a rocken store. but i also work in an ems, and half of our employees have never done anything at time of hire. and the others have very little experience and have read to many magazines. I wish we had good climbers on staff, we have two, count them two employees that climb, and only one does it regularly, the other does it every now and then. your store is an exception, most of the stores i've been are better then our store, but not anything as experienced as you say your store is.

also, the new is great for ems, and sucks for ems employees. becuase they have no founding, they have cut almost in hour the number of hours to give to employees. in my store, 4 employees went from 20 hr work weeks to 0, with two days notice. and its the same company wide. our full times go there hours cut in half, and the salaries managers have to pick up almost 20 hours each. and its the prime season. everyone knows retails do the majority of there sales in the christmas season/forth quarter.

such a great deal, but a company and not be able to afford to run it.

I loved working at ems, and liked the new direction, thought where doing something great, then they screw over all there employees. i've lost all respect for them. as myself and other have to go job searching now because all of a sudden we have no or very very small paychecks.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook