Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
[UPDATE] Proposal on a mountain (on her first big summit)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

ddc

Oct 1, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

[UPDATE] Proposal on a mountain (on her first big summit)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You may have remembered, I posted a question asking if it would be too much to propose on her first big summit. Well, the trip has come and gone, and now it is story time.. ;) (Sorry for the delay.. I had forgotten about this post with all the excitment this summer.. but figured better late than never!)

On July 15th, we drove from NJ all the way out to Jackson, WY, in a 3 day blur. When we arrived, we decided to head up to Suprise lake for a few days to get used to the altitude. We did some scrambling, etc.. and I started getting a little worried, as Jen was FREAKED as can be when we would get high at all, even with some moderate class 3 scrambles. Luckily, as soon as she put on a harness, and was roped in, this changed ;).

So after spending some time up at suprise lake, it was time to go down, check in with JHMG for our guided Grand Teton climb (so the location is now revealed ;) ). We found out our guide, Rob, was a part owner, and had climbed Everest without oxygen (which really put Jen's mind at ease!!).

Now keep in mind, this whole trip, I have been hiding the ring in my pillowcase.. lol..

So Day 1, we haul ourselves up to the JHMG high camp, at 10,800'. It was a pretty long day, but Jen and I had been doing lots of conditioning to get ready for this trip (she was running marathons.. I was biking). When we got up there, it was absoultely amazing. She said to me "Even if we dont go any higher, this has been one of the best experiences of my life, and it is only day 1!" Score!!! :D

Day 2 was learning the ropes (literaly). We never did any trad climbing to prepare, so she needed to learn just about everything. After a morning of tying figure 8s, and learning how clip in and out of protection, we had our first climb, in the crags surrounding the high camp. On this first climb, Rob lead, followed by Bill (another guy in our group), Jen, then me cleaning up. Jen did AMAZING. It was probably about a 5.4 climb, and she made the two pitches with no problem at all. We then did a 190' rappel (the largest I had ever done.. was pretty darn thrilling!), and she LOVED it. At the end of Day 2, we had some nasty weather, ended up with an inch and a half of hail on the ground.

Day 3- we awoke early, but were told we had to wait until the next day to summit, as everything was too icy. It was quite disappointing, as I had been looking forward to this day for MONTHS! I was a little grumpy for most of the day, and Jen had no idea why.. lol. We did a little more climbing.. Jen climbed a 5.6 pitch, and I did a 5.7-5.8 which felt great.

Day 4- Summit day. We woke up at 3am, got suited up, and headed out. We worked our way up the lower saddle, then up to the upper saddle. By the time we were about half way between the LS and US, the sun was coming out, and illuminated the Middle Teton.. it was STUNNING. We did the Pownel-Gilkey route, which included a very exposed traverse, and about 180' of 5.5 climbing with a 5.8 crux (which had an aider ladder for those who needed it). It was EXTREMELY tough for Jen, she was very cold, but determined.. At the top of each pitch, she would actually break down in tears, both out of joy and frustration. Once we were past the vertical stuff, there was 300' or so of class 3 and 4 scrambling to the summit. When we rounded the corner from the shadow side of the mountain to the sunlit side, and started walking across the snow, I couldnt wipe the smile off my face. We were just a few feet from the summit, and I finally let myself say "I am actually going to be able to propose at the top!" I had been coming up with all kinds of contingency plans for what if we didnt make it (and there are a lot of people that The Grand doesnt allow to the top!).

We got to the top, and had the place to ourselves- just Rob, Bill, Jen and I. Now both Rob and Bill knew what was going down. We took a few photos, and I asked Bill to snap one of Jen and myself at the top. As I grabbed the camera, I also smuggled the ring out of my pack. We took one photo, and I turned to Jen and said "Ya know.. Even though we are way up here, touching the sky, I wont feel like I am on top of the world, until I know we will be spending the rest of our lives together. I want to know, will you marry me?" and pulled out the ring.. Many many tears and smiles and a big Yes (and a big fat kiss) ensued.. it was PERFECT!!! She said she couldnt have imagined a more perfect way for me to propose.. I cant say it enough.. it was PERFECT!! :)

Thanks so much for the advice everyone.. it really helped me put together the perfect proposal!

Also, pics are here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=67303 My normal username is nero, but Jen would DEFINITELY be able to pick that one out, so I had to post my original question covertly as DDC.. ;)

kunzie

Oct 1, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [UPDATE] Proposal on a mountain (on her first big summit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's really sweet, I'm happy for you man, a smile has been brought to my face :D
Congratulations on the success!!!!

wonderwoman

Oct 1, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's so awesome!!! :D

Congratulations!!!

acacongua

Oct 1, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want a story like that!! That's awesome. :D

jumpingrock

Oct 3, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awww that's so sweet! If I wasn't um a guy it would have brought a tear to the eye... it didn't I swear it didn't! :oops:

ddc

Oct 6, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone! :) Awesome was definitely the word to describe it!

For anyone else out there planning to do something similar- have a good backup plan in mind! We almost werent able to go to the top, which got me quite grumpy.. ;)

ladylayback

Oct 9, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's really great. Good luck together.

indigo_nite

Oct 11, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's such a sweet story. I liked your proposal speech. it even brought tears to my eyes.

congrats to your engagement and I hope you guys will have happy years together and climbing...

girlyclimber83

Nov 19, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my gosh, that is so romantic! Im crying.

unabonger

Nov 24, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was wondering the best time to present the prenup agreement. After she belays, before she rappels seems like the right moment. Thanks for the inspiration.

No seriously, congrats. Well done, I'm sure you'll have many more fun climbs in your future. At least after the kids turn 18 and are on thier way.

UB

deleted
Deleted

Nov 24, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE this story! Beautiful- the description of the climb and the Big Moment. Congratulations!

djjeny

Dec 19, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awwwwwww that is the cutest! I wish my bf would propose to me like that :| If I *HAD* a bf anymore.. the a*** :x

But anyway.

:) Very sweet story; I hope you are happy together, you make a really cute couple!

Jen

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook