RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

climber_trev

May 23, 2002, 5:23 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

heal hook - the enemy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The title basically tells the story, im a bit (or a lot) weak when it comes to doing heal hooks. The thing is where i climb there arn't a lot of them around, does anyone have any tips for making them easier for me to do. On the odd occasion that i go to the climbing gym, most of the climbs have them, they feel weird but i can do them is this just a case of practice makes perfect or is there something i can do to improve my this tech.

thats heaps!

climber_trev

colin

May 23, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

heal hook - the enemy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it lack of strength that keeps you from pulling them? Or can you not get your heel to "hook" the hold?

climber_trev

May 23, 2002, 10:17 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its a bit of both, some holds i cant seem to get an effective hook on it ... this is annoying and on big hooks that involve really cranking from the hold i have trouble.

hope this clears this up

climber_trev

miagi

May 24, 2002, 4:34 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if the heel hook is small, the only advice I can give is for you to point your heel into the hold at an angle. You can get more contact with the hold and your heel wont slip off as easily.

As for strength in your heel hooks: Some heel hooks require you to pull up with your legs. The only advice for that is to lift weights for your "back quads?", and practice. I have never had to use the actual heel hook for strength to pull me up. The only reasons I use heel hooks are to balance myself, give my hands/arms a rest, or aid my hands/arms in a move.

climber_trev

May 24, 2002, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

true Miagi, thats my deal ... most of my heal hook experience is with as you said locking off or balance. Im uncomfortable when it comes to using it for an actual upwards movement (if you can understand that!)

peace

climber_trev

toobigtoclimb

May 24, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to use heel hooks alot. I think that you have to be light and strong. I can't do them any more, that's for sure!!

crux_clipper

May 25, 2002, 5:26 AM
Post #7 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For say, pulling the lip off a heel hook, rock on over. Pull in with the leg that hooked, slide your foot back so the ball of the foot is on the hold, and push up.

Easier said then done though

beyond_gravity

May 26, 2002, 6:29 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont really push up when I heel hook, I get my heel on then make a quick movement to a higher hold. Then move my foot to somting non-heel.

ktwo

May 26, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing that I find heel hooks useful for are to bring your center of gravity up, so you can reach a hold that is just a few inches too high.

kaptk

May 30, 2002, 12:38 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Working on your flexability might make the heel hooks work better. The more flexible, the less akward you will feel in that position and the better you will be able to use it. I will also repeat that it is important how you are placing your heel on the hold. I hope the flexability thing helps.

clymber

May 30, 2002, 1:41 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cant do heal hooks with slippers my heal keeps slipping out. Try lace shoes. I Know it s starting to get nice and the last place you want to be is in a gym but make up boulder problems that require healhooks. The only way to get goodat somethingis to do it and then do it some more..According to my partner I am a heal hook champ..think he is smoking that wacky stuff..Hooks help alot after pulling that roof move gives a good rest for a arm and you are able to chalk up before going on...Keep trying it

metoliusmunchkin

May 30, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm afraid it is very hard to give some advice, as the information given slides to and from ambiguousness. I also find this very unusual (no offense), as I have never really had trouble with heel hooks in the past, nor do I now. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I am a young bugger.

Moreover, the situation whence you will use a heel hook may be improper. What I mean is, perhaps you are not utilizing the heel hook when it is most needed, and are perhaps neglecting to use it when it is in fact most needed.

Whilst climbing a vertical wall (depending on its hold placements - for indoor climbing - also based on the hold availability - more so outdoor than indoor climbing) many a time, a heal hook is not needed. Perhaps you find the "heel hook awkwardness" while climbing a vertical route.

Personally, if I find slight difficulty upon a vertical route, I tend to toe-scum rather than heal hook for a slight gain in balance while performing the action.

If I were to use a heel hook however, I would most definitely use it while attempting to overcome a shelf. After climbing your way atop a roof, it is most essential that a heel hook is needed to overcome the ledge that awaits you up ahead. Otherwise there is a much difficult rock path that you have chosen.

colin

May 30, 2002, 8:18 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try doing hamstring curls (is there another name for those???) on a universal. It sounds like you lack the strength to pull your body weight on your heel while keeping enough tension in your leg to keep your foot hooked.

[ This Message was edited by: colin on 2002-05-31 11:33 ]

stevematthys

May 31, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hamstring curls would probably work

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook