Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
What did you think of your first snow climbs?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

timstich

Oct 8, 2004, 9:35 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

What did you think of your first snow climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oddly enough, I was surprised how technically easy they were. Kick step, kick step, move up axe, repeat. Rest? Stand still, maybe kick steps a little deeper and enjoy the view. It was a lot less stressful than leading cracks for me, I can tell you. Back in June I had no idea what it would be like. Now I am itching to get out and climb some more snow, perhaps with more ice and rock thrown in there to up the difficulty. Good stuff, I tell you. And the sunrises are priceless. Rich, warm light with an orange tint. Cold, crisp snow with sparkles of light glinting off of it.

salamanizer

Oct 10, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Re: What did you think of your first snow climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically easy yes, but priceless none the less. I'll be climbing alpine till my joints or body gives in because of those first few thecnically devoid slogs.

maxdacat

Oct 11, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first Alpine climb was in Arthur's Pass, New Zealand. when i was 18. It was 3 friends and our maths teacher from school. We mucked around with some self arrests the first afternoon then hit the mountain at 6 the next morning.

Basically it freaked the sh*t out of us as we started up a horribly steep and very loose ridge as our leader bounded on ahead. He only very reluctantly threw us a rope so we could continue, which was nice as it took our mids of the 1,000ft drop on both sides!

But we got up and got down and got treated to a fab sunset later.

cryder

Oct 12, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha. At some point Tim you will find yourself chargin up a steep icy couloir and wonder what on earth you did before with just snow. And then you will start to climb on ice and rock and repeat the process.

'Tis the good life. Carpe' Noctum.

- n -

timstich

Oct 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ha. At some point Tim you will find yourself chargin up a steep icy couloir and wonder what on earth you did before with just snow. And then you will start to climb on ice and rock and repeat the process.

'Tis the good life. Carpe' Noctum.

- n -

I have done a little ice and rock. Had to resharpen the crampons and axe twice now. I'm surprised how OK I was with climbing rock in crampons. I mean, it's definitely different, but I like it.

kachoong

Oct 12, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Basically it freaked the sh*t out of us as we started up a horribly steep and very loose ridge as our leader bounded on ahead. He only very reluctantly threw us a rope so we could continue, which was nice as it took our mids of the 1,000ft drop on both sides!
...yep, New Zealand is the training ground for us Aussie Alpinists too.... and I hear ya about the loose rock!!! Dangerous place to learn with all that Wheat-bix rock in NZ, but great for your head game....
...The sunsets and more importantly, the SUNRISES are spectacular above the snowline. Some of my first Alpine excursions in Mt Cook National Park I wouldn't swap for any memories.... what you learn in these first 'steps' is priceless..... a very steep learning curve, but unforgettable nonetheless....
....However, the next steps are the most enjoyable as you reach out and embrace the steeper, icey ridges and couloirs and plant your axe and your head game into uncharted territory.... enjoy.... it only gets better, and the memories always remain....

crag

Oct 13, 2004, 5:40 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have done a little ice and rock. Had to resharpen the crampons and axe twice now. I'm surprised how OK I was with climbing rock in crampons. I mean, it's definitely different, but I like it.

Wait until you get a chance to climb on neve' French Technique is awsome isn't it?

atg200

Oct 13, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

steep snow climbing is a good way to get to some really good skiing, but otherwise it is boring. if it is too steep to climb in your sleep without it really being ice, it is a godawful wallowing fest best avoided unless you are 50' below the top of cerro torre.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$89.06 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook