Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

fiend

Apr 21, 2002, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 75 (6942 views)
Shortcut

rrrADAM and Fiend's North American Tour
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Status [ Kickin it in Long Beach and climbing around SoCal. ]

I guess this is the intro post. For anyone just tuning in; this is where rrrAdam and I will be recording our adventures as we skip across the country to hit several rockclimbing.com member meetings, hook up with other users, and climb at some of the greatest crags in the world.

Tentative Itinerary

• (May 24th) Leave Hamilton with Grant (darkside) and head on down to NY for the Gunks gathering where I'll meet and hook up with Adam and his wife Karen (memorial day weekend)
  • Drive out to Minnesota for small member meeting (May 31-June 2)
  • Climbing in the Black Hills and near Mt. Rushmore in S.Dakota.
  • Drive out to SLC to meet the rc.com crew at Little Cottonwood Caynon (June 6th to 9th).
  • Ibex and Vegas after SLC?
  • On to Long Beach and Adam&Karen's place.
  • A few weeks of (still unplanned) trips to Cali climbing areas such as Joshua Tree and Bishop, mixed with local punk shows and quality beach time.
  • rc.com meeting in Yosemite (July 8th(ish) to 22nd(ish))
  • Sometime in late July I'll be trying to get home somehow http://halcyon.rockclimbing.com/blog/smilies/p.gif

Keep an eye on this thread, Adam and I will be updating it while we're on the road and looking to hook up with anyone who is along our route or wants to meet us somewhere.
We should have some rc.com merch with us, as well as some lovely cams sent to us for testing purposes, but Adam will have to tell you more about that.

PS: for anyone interested, I will also be recording my personal trip log.

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2002-06-12 13:43 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 21, 2002, 5:31 PM
Post #2 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

rrrADAM and Fiend's North American Tour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Between The Gunks and SLC, we'll also be at the RC.com gig in Minisota put on by 'fo_d'.

And gotta include The Needles, Tahquitz, and several SoCal crags during the Summer.

Wanna hook up with 'spike' in New Jack and '
elcapbuzz' and 'meadors' in Big Bear.

Not to mention 'beerandblood' for a major bouldering tour.

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 23, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #3 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Yea... Free Stuff for RC.com users met along the way. And I can still use experienced trad climbers to sample the SplitterGear Cams I have been sent for a Gear Review here.

darkside

Apr 23, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam: put those splitter cams on my rack and they will get reviewed. Just don't expect me to give up the tri-cams in the Gunks
BTW do I have to return them after???

Partner tim

Apr 23, 2002, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hear hear, I'd be delighted to shove a few of them newfangled splitter cams into Marshall's Madness if you'd let me.

In all seriousness I may at least be able to offer a bed (truckbed or otherwise) if you two are headed anywhere near DC.

If you know when you'll be at the Needles I'd be delighted to work with you to rig some shots. Greg Epperson's photographic advice got me into the bad habit of thinking in terms of 'how can I get the angle I want and the picture I want' so now it's not enough just to get to the Needles to climb, I also am on the lookout for 'models', lacking a better word .

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-04-23 14:08 ]

fo_d

Apr 23, 2002, 9:07 PM
Post #6 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blah! needles and Devils Tower are right on your way, do you have time to hit both of those? I wish I could dive in the pathfinder when you leave BMSP Sun., I'll be leaving a few days later to meet up with you in SLC anyway but responsibilities will be keeping me here untill the 5th. So hope you get to DT also, It would be a shame to drive right by it.

Les

fiend

Apr 26, 2002, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were going to hit Devil's Tower but it appears that there is a voluntary closure for the month of June in respect for natives.

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 26, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #8 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Les, we're talking about the Needles in Ca, not the Needles in Custer State Park, SD. But I have climbed there before, on that rotten rock, and might hit it again when we climb at Mt Rushmoore on the way to SLC.

Wanna send The Thimbal.

BTW... When planning our trip via PM, Mark responded with this. (scroll down for the RC.com user quote from fiend posted by me, it's funny as hell. )

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2002-04-26 10:34 ]

fo_d

Apr 27, 2002, 9:56 PM
Post #9 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DOH!!! I forgot about the one in CA.

Les

Partner rrrADAM

May 23, 2002, 2:47 PM
Post #10 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woo hoo !!!

Starts tomorrow.

This thread will be updated my Mark or I as the "games begin" so stay tuned.

Also, check Mark's BLOG for additional details.

Hope to see some of you along the way.

rrrADAM

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2002-05-23 12:00 ]

fiend

May 23, 2002, 2:54 PM
Post #11 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to goooooo! I wanna be sedated!

Hmm, maybe I should pack or something

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2002-05-23 07:55 ]

Partner tim

May 23, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #12 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are you guys going to be (in town, not camping, but after climbing) in New Paltz? I'll be there Sun/Mon and would like to meet youse guys, esp. if my trip to the Needles coincides with yours. I'm f---ing serious, I want to get some s--- published this summer and if'n I can get some people out on Airy or Pegasus or Atlantis in something Not-Rock-Colored, it WILL happen :-)

I don't know if I can make the Yosemite gathering, might have to take unpaid (big deal, who cares) to do it, but I'm planning to be in CA from July 3rd-7th at least, and Needles 4th-6th (again, at least).

re: Gunks, I'm planning on going over to Millbrook one day, and seeing if my GF will belay me for Twilight Zone on the other, otherwise I plan to make an ass of myself attempting to rope-solo it (not sure which day though). I have completely given up on the idea of climbing anything else at the Trapps unless I get up around 5am. You?

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-05-23 08:58 ]

Partner rrrADAM

May 23, 2002, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're camping at Hidden Valley Lake Campground in Kingston (7 miles NW of The Gunks).

Probably back to the campsite after climbing, but at least one feast at the Italian Resteraunt in New Paltz at the intersection near Rock & Snow.

Partner polarwid

May 23, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #14 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam, you must eat at CONCA D'ORO...the best pizza I have ever had, calzone, great beer and a great atmosphere. Be sure and ask for the FRA DIAVLO pizza, and lots of beer with it!!!

Partner iclimbtoo

May 23, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #15 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, I'm starting to realize how being a college student sucks...once I'm done, I'm going to be on these trips 100%!!! As for now...

fiend

May 24, 2002, 1:37 PM
Post #16 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, just a few hours now and I'll be off, I imagine Adam and Karen are already on their way. Now that I think of it I don't really have a lot to say, but I do have a fair bit of last minute stuff to do....

so if I'm seeing you this summer then I look forward to it, otherwise you'll just have to come visit me.

Oh yeah, I'll be the dude in the white t-shirt with FIEND written on it

kelownaclimber

May 24, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #17 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark,
You have fun on this trip and keep us updated.I wish I could be going...jealous big time...oh well one of these days I'm gonna figure out how to get around this bills and work thing..

sharmagod

May 24, 2002, 2:10 PM
Post #18 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys should drop by NF!!!

darkside

May 27, 2002, 1:18 PM
Post #19 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And so it begins. Adam, Karen, and Mark have joined forces in a trans-am tour.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10727&forum=43&0
First meeting.

fiend

May 29, 2002, 2:52 AM
Post #20 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I haven't had a chance to check out the above linked thread yet, and I had to steal this computer from the son of one of rrrADAM's friends...

rrrADAM and i.Karen have been kickass hosts so far and I'm definitely looking forward to spending the next 2 months with them.

The Gunks was amazing, Adam ropegunned Modern Times and Birdland for us and I've realized that I'm such a sport climber. Seconding trad is ridiculous

I'm sure the other post covers more about who was there and stuff, it also seems that I've forgotten how to type so I'll leave it here for now, expect a longer update in a few days...

Partner rrrADAM

May 29, 2002, 3:28 AM
Post #21 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Currently in Lima, Oh...

Having a blast, The Gunks was great, and the users were even better. Especially Juliana... She will be a pro if she keeps at it, as she has what it takes. Or maybe she'll be a scientist that climbs instead, as she is the most articulate young lady I've ever met in my life. I'm truely impressed at what she can and is willing to do at her age.

More details to come Thursday afternoon when I have more online time at my friends house in Rockford, Il.

rrrADAM

Partner rrrADAM

May 29, 2002, 9:36 PM
Post #22 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Currently in Rockford, Il at some of my friends' house. We'll be kicking it here till Friday morning when we head to Minisota for Les' gig there.

Still enjoying the memories of the Gunks gig...

Lou cranks like a pro. I picked out a great climb for his first 5.9+ Trad lead, Apoplexy, and he flashed it in style. (Give me your opinion of the Splitter Gear cams when you return them to me in SLC brutha.)

Keith is an 'old-schooler' who still climbs with the energy of a youngster. (Nice mini-14. )

Anne will definately show those youngsters in SLC how to party, they think they are gonna show the guests. Not gonna happen... Take 'em to school Anne.

Mark is great company and a great climber... Looking forard to spending the next 2 months with him climbing all over California after we finish climbing cross-country. Maybe we'll even hit Red Rocks or the Virgin River Gorge on the way home from SLC.

Grant is a very experienced climber, man I wish I've been to some of the places he has climbed at, and is a great orator. He can paint very detailed pictures of the climbs, places, and even the people he's climbed with with just his words alone, and make me wish I were there.

And did I mention... ???

Jules Rules !!!
She impressed me with her eageress to climb, and more so with her remarkable wisdom at such a tender age. (Karen still wants to adopt you... Wanna come live out in beautiful sunny Southern California ???)

Marie didn't climb, as she is nursing an injued elbow for an upcoming mountaineering thing. Her son climbed well and is eager to learn the ropes. She was great to be around, and I look forward to seeinh her again at a future gig. (Hint, come to SLC. )

Leaving now... Gonna go watch Star Wars E2.

Stay tuned for updates from Mark or I... And maybe even Karen will post a little.

rrrADAM

darkside

May 30, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #23 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey...no one mentioned fiends NEW...soon to be patented...surprise...easy to use... "cam cleaning method"
After fiddling with the last cam under a roof..
fiend- "Oh man, I can't get it. I need a nut tool to reach the trigger."
[sits back on rope and looks down]
darkside- "It's just in a keyhole, lift it up, and out".

***TWANG*** [swing]
fiend- "I guess I don't need the nut tool!!".
everyone on ground- "ha ha ha"
NOW HOW DOES HE DO THAT?????
##this story has been edited for content to fit this screen and to fit the time slot allocated##
For the full story you have to join rrradam and fiend on their trans-am tour.

fiend

May 31, 2002, 3:18 AM
Post #24 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, that move is patent pending, don't let the secret out, and at least I didn't have an accident in my pants

We took a rest day from bigscreen tv and Playstation 2 to hit GAR Rock Gym to sweat out a few pounds in the Illinois humidity. During the lead test I had to take a fall, Adam said it would be good for my head games but, again, I almost had an accident in my pants when I cruised to a stop 3 feet above the ground.
After climbing it was back to our strict regimen of steak and potatoes at the Outback Steakhouse.

The Bop-It was ressurected today but turned out to be defective so it was soon replaced for a shiny new one. It was flicked, bopped, twisted and shoved into my hands... for a split second I almost gave in but I remain strong and Bo-It free

I'm not even in California yet but I'm already trying to talk my girlfriend into moving there

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 4, 2002, 4:05 AM
Post #25 of 75 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a great time in Minisota. There was a lot of small children that came with their parents to this gig, and it really made the trip for us. The climbing was great, albeit a little stiff for the ratings. Everone climbed well, especially Josh from Nebraska... Watch for his name in the mags, as he is a natural, and we'll be reading about him in the near future. Unfortunately, he needs to travel to find rock, as Nebraska is flat.

Mark set up the slack-line, and we never sat by the fire the first night, as we all took turns at it. What fun !!! We even made a new problem called Pass The Package V0+. It involves starting under the line, pulling up on to it, and statically coming back down on the other side. As the name implies, if you are a male, the crux is in "passing the package". You don't want to blow it in the crux, as you will be a eunich(sp?) if you do.

Currently in Rapid City, SD. Going to do a little sport in Mt Rushmoore, as Mark's knee isn't up to any hard Trad. And will boulder on the John Gill problem The Thimbale in the Needles of Custer State Park.

Will be in SLC on Wednesday.

Gotta go, as my belly hurts... I just ate 4 10oz sirloin steaks, turkey, mashed potatoes & gravey, and 2 servings of cheese cake.

~Adam

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook