Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Is Tablerock open for climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

timothyclarkjr

Oct 18, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Is Tablerock open for climbing?  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Table_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

me and a buddy want to climb tablerock and the amphitheater within the next couple of weeks before it gets too cold and rainy, but can't tell if the trails are open.

I spoke to the Grandfather district FS and they said the trails are open up to the chimneys.

Aren't all the climbs past the chimneys? Was hoping someone has been there within the last couple of weeks and could provide some info.

Is there any other way to approach?

cutiger

Oct 18, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Tablerock open for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure about the amphitheatre, but Table Rock is (to my knowledge) open year round for the most part. Take the dirt road all the way to the top or park a the gate if closed and hike the road to the top. The trail to Table Rock is to the right and I think the amphitheatre is to the left. Hope this helps, there's a site that I can't find right now that posts all the closings.

Partner j_ung

Oct 18, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Table Rock at least is wide open.

http://www.carolinaclimbers.org/...ry_id=20010211130817

Not sure about the trail to the ampitheater, but hell, just bushwack around any rough spots. It is a wilderness area, after all. :)

Partner j_ung

Oct 18, 2004, 6:50 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not sure about the amphitheatre, but Table Rock is (to my knowledge) open year round for the most part. Take the dirt road all the way to the top or park a the gate if closed and hike the road to the top. The trail to Table Rock is to the right and I think the amphitheatre is to the left. Hope this helps, there's a site that I can't find right now that posts all the closings.

If the paved road to the TR parking lot is closed, head back toward Ginercake and park in the first pull out past the stop sign. On the gorge side of the road, there's a wide trail that parallels the road for about a hundred yards then breaks off into the woods. Continue on to a large clearing, walk straight through it and then up a big hill. You'll hit TR at the bottom of Devels Cellar. Go left along the cliff line to get to the North End. Go right for all others. It's much shorter than hiking the road.

bumblie

Oct 18, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To my knowledge, the mummy buttress has never been closed for nesting. Portions of the adjacent NC Wall get closed periodically, but not the mummy buttress.

If you're heading down there during this time of the year, you may want to be pretty picky about the weather. Both the Mummy & the Daddy are in the shade all morning, and it can be windy. If the weather holds, this coming Saturday could be excellent.

I seem to recall that the ranger station in Marion oversees Linville Gorge. I'd call them about access to the Table Rock parking lot (which I think ends November first) and access to the cliffs.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)
$77.36 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook