RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

catga86

Aug 25, 2001, 7:51 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Tips/Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today when I went to the climbing gym all my friends wanted to go bouldering and I being very new to rock climbing tried it and I am terrible at it. I was watching them do it and they did so smootherly. They were playing a game where you take one hold off so you can't use it and I was just amazed at there ability. What are some tips about bouldering? What are some good ways to use your arms and your footwork? Should you keep your arms staright or bend? What about hips?

vishnuepie

Aug 25, 2001, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Tips/Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heres a couple tips i can think to give u. too often new climbers forget about their feet, try keepin ure arms straight, and dont use them to pull up if u can just stand up...other than that u might try getting a weight belt from a sports store..try to get one were u can change the wait too

wandt

Aug 26, 2001, 6:04 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice swivelling (sp.?) your hips so one or the other is practically touching the wall. Also, rather than only use your toes, learn to use the inside and outside edge of your feet. Positioning yourself with the wall at your side like this will give you WAY more reach and power than the "froggie" position often will.

congo

Aug 26, 2001, 7:05 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the lower grades.. ..all you really need to do is practice your technique.. ..this means find an easy problem and do it like 10 times different ways to find which way is easiest.. ..eg, leaning your body to one direction, different hand grip postions on the same hold, etc..
..once you start moving to the higher grades the holds get smaller and further apart, but thats all. this means you will need to develop technique, finger strength and arm strength.. ..you will start using techniques like flagging, crossunders, step throughs and stuff..
..just remember technique is more important than strength

c_plante

Sep 24, 2001, 11:59 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep your center of balance toward the wall as much as possible. That usually means pushing your hips into the wall so that it's almost touching (I know someone else said that but it bears reiteration). remember its okay to cross your arms and legs, and if you have to back up, move up or down, to move forward then go for it.

tyraidbp

Oct 1, 2001, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

start by just traversing around the gym. Try to go nonstop as far as you can. Get used to moving your feet and positioning them to keep your progression going in the right direction. The next thing you can do is to model those who are doing things correctly. Watch them do warm up problems, then try to repeat it with same amount of fluidness. And dont bite off more than you can chew, meaning dont get on the overhanging sections, and try to send stuff. That is your one way ticket to getting hurt, and fast. Get used to turning your hips in, so you are almost in like a layback position, and practice reaching. Learn to controll your breathing also. People will sit there and tell you constantly to breathe, but you dont always want to breathe. Read How to Climb 5.12, and maybe even Better Bouldering by John Sherman. Both are really good books with valuable info that you can use the day you read it. A good exercise to do is, traverse the gym, and whatever hold you grab first, or put your foot on first, use it, dont go grabing another. Deal with the one you choose, and if you fall off, get back on it, and figure out how to move from it. I think this info will be a good start for you, please ask more questions as you have them.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook