Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Black is Brown routefinding
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

phile

Oct 29, 2004, 4:46 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Black is Brown routefinding  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley: Church_Bowl)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

10' off the ground there's a huge ledge. To continue up from this ledge there are 2 cracks--which is the route? I tried to go to the left and got shut down; I retreated without trying the one to the right. Was I on the route? If so, that's a stout 5.8.

phil

jklinke

Oct 29, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black is Brown routefinding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the right crack after the ledge was about 5.8, but higher up route finding wasn't so obvious. After the step right we followed the righslanting crack on the left. That turned out to be more like 10-. On rappel I saw a seam further right with good holds which seemed to be more like 5.8. SuperTopo only shows one of the two, I believe the Reid guide is more accurate.

phile

Oct 31, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black is Brown routefinding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

phil

FloydHayes

Jun 5, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #4 of 4 (507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phile] Black is Brown routefinding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the left-hand crack felt much harder than 5.8. I used a large cam (Camalot #4) to protect the lieback crux move and my son and I both thought it was at least 5.10a, compared with other 5.10s we recently climbed in the valley. A third companion was unable to do it but instead climbed the lower angle crack a few feet to the right, which she said was much easier--and presumably the 5.8 version (I don't know how well it protects). Higher up after the big step to the right there appeared to be several options; what seemed easiest to me was a mixture of 5.8 face and crack climbing out to the far right and returning left to the main crack near the top. Use long slings to avoid rope drag (or the optional belay below the "big step right") and beware of some loose flakes that likely would not hold a fall.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$292.46 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook