Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sugarloaf Fire status
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

drkayak

Nov 1, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Sugarloaf Fire status  (North_America: United_States: California: Lake_Tahoe: Sugarloaf)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbed at Sugarloaf on Sunday. Parked at the normal spot across from the Pac Bell building. The new trail to the right that avoids the private property is unusable. There is a lot of ash/mud muck. I would recommend following the old trail. Farther up the hill the trail is intact in some areas.

The fire had several hot spots where the trees are surely dead. Other areas, like around Sugarbun, only the ground debris burned. One of the worst hot spots I saw is at the base of Birdman, Farley area. The fire crowned in this area. Total devastation. Farther up the east side the big boulder east of The Fracture protected the oaks at the base of Dominion. I did not check out the decent area. We did not climb in the Pony Express area. From below it looks better than the east side. The fire killed the leaves on all the oaks in that area.

Only issues I see are: the muck from wet ashes on the trail in areas. You will get charcoal black all over your hands and clothes crossing down burnt logs. Several places old stumps burnt several feet below the surface. This has caused holes and some rock instability in places. we found the webbing on the anchors on Birdman to be partially melted. All webbing anchors should be suspect.

I will post some pictures later today.

youreup

Nov 1, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sugarloaf Fire status [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update.

Did you get to check out the Hyperspace area?

crackboy

Nov 1, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so was the stuff around Farley climbable? or is the mess too much?

i would suspect any bolts too. high temps from fire would screw them up as well. there was a lot of talk about this with all the colorado fires a while back.

drkayak

Nov 1, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Did you get to check out the Hyperspace area?

No I did make it around to that side. Looks like the fire/wind was coming from the SE. I would think the Hyperspace area was some what protected.

In reply to:
so was the stuff around Farley climbable? or is the mess too much?

i would suspect any bolts too. high temps from fire would screw them up as well. there was a lot of talk about this with all the colorado fires a while back.

I lead Blue Velvet. There was chalk on it from someone climbing it on Saturday. There is some weird crumbling of the rocks at the base. This is clearly caused by the fire. I personally feel the main formation and the bolts are completely unharmed.

drkayak

Nov 1, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some pictures :

http://www.directcon.net/.../sugarloaf/index.htm

drkayak

Nov 22, 2004, 9:10 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What’s worse than hiking up to Sugarloaf in wet ash muck? How about 50mph winds with blowing ash and dust. Climbed yesterday under very windy conditions. The big Oak at the base of Pony Express has burned and fell down.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook