Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

darkside

May 27, 2002, 1:12 PM
Post #1 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

The gunks goes on!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well it's almost 9.00am so rrradam should have rousted the crew at Hidden Valley (I had the pleasure of doing that yesterday) and be herding them to the crag. I left at 10.15 last night and got home an hour or so ago after sleeping for a couple of hours enroute. I have to get a few ZZZZ's before heading to work as the Canadian long weekend was last weekend. Sucks to be me!!!
The dirty deed is done and fiend has been abandoned to the mercy of rrradam and i_karen.
Saturday saw myself and fiend joining rrradam, i_karen, juliana, and her mom for a day in the Trapps. Rumour was that climb512 was in the area but despite multiple notes at the kiosk, he failed to find us. Hopefully he joined in today, Monday.
Juliana took a ride with Mark and Adam on the huge roofs of Modern Times, what a little rock star
Sunday had a damp start and more RC.com'ers joining the fray. climbinganne and clymber were there early while later we were joined by kagunkie, alpinebunny, and a soon to be new member, her son. ivan2climb seemed to be the name of choice over pizza. juliana's mom was absent during the climbing but upon joining us for supper denied taking the day to "sample" more wine. Get ready at the Utah gathering because anne wants all your monikers on a special t-shirt she has, and I forgot my 'local brew'
I had a blast and was sorry I had to leave, dammit gotta find a cheap tix for Utah.

clymber

May 28, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #2 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

The gunks goes on!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I just got back from the gather in the Gunks a hour ago also...It was great meeting the people you talk to all the time. Juls it the little climbing goddess for her age and has some bigger b*lls then I do.... For some strange reason all the planets must have
been because up till Sat my best rrad lead was a 8 and by the end i did a 10...im sorry to say that i missed Juls mom climbing maybe next time though...we will all need to do it again sometime...and still wondering if the Canadian Yorshiremen will be making it to the Utah meeting...sure he will

climbinganne

May 28, 2002, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAD A BLAST.....learn a couple new tricks, met some friends, all was good. Lokking forward to a full recovery for Utah, and
Juliana..you inspired me!!!

ikaren, you taught me so much, thanks!!

Lew my doctor who healed me!!

rrradam...you rock!!

mark, you are a fiend....hehe

alpinebunny you sweetie

Kagunkie....you saved me from further injury.

and darkside or blackdeath...haha, thanks for side climbing and offering all the beta and making me laugh that 6 pounds off my a$$ i gained last week!!!

Loved all of you, we did have a great time!!!!!
~anne

Partner jules

May 28, 2002, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, man, that trip kicked such TOTAL arse

It was so incredibly awesome to get out (oot? good god, I spent a little too much time around Mark and Grant ) there with you all. I can't believe I actually got to go over there and meet y'all.

Apparently, that stuff I was walking through barefoot while setting up tents really WAS poison oak (*scratch* *scratch* *scratch*). So, if you were doing likewise, it might be smart to go get some calamine lotion now

Oooh, and, for the record (before someone proves me wrong), praying mantises don't change color-- there are just green ones and brown ones. Also, daddy long legs ARE arachnids, but not spiders.

Once I got over the initial embarassment, I had a bit of fun laughing at myself about the whole hair-in-the-ATC thing. Now THERE'S a story to tell

Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did...

beyond_gravity

May 28, 2002, 10:28 PM
Post #5 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What? Jules, u went someone WITHOUT ME?

Oh wait...I'm thinking of Jenny

climbinganne

May 29, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #6 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So jules...then it MUST have been one big arse walking stick that landed on my arm and almost ate it for a snack...hehe. How you feeling, sweetie???

Mental note...next time we walk away without injury!!!!

Again to all that were there....THANKS!

Partner rrrADAM

May 29, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #7 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jules Rules !!!

She followed me up and out a huge roof at The Gunks, she's fearless and has the heart and skills to definately be a sponsored climber if she keeps with it. Monday, she even followed Mark and I up a 5.8+ climb, Birdland, that is usually done in 2 pitches, but I decided to climb "end to end" on a 60M rope, and she also was game to climb all 200 feet in one pitch. I'm truely impressed.

Everybody ruled, good people here at RC.com, and great climbers. Lou, is using the Splitter Gear cams I was given for the RC.com gear review till I see him again in SLC, look forward to his opinion.

Mark and I are on our way to Minisota to meet up with the users there for the next gig.

Thanx to 'climb512' for the idea of doing this, I was able to meet another 10 users from the site and climb and fellowship, even though he seemed to be ditching us, as nobody ever saw him, but he did reply to one of my notes at the kiosk.

rrrADAM
*Russ edited to fix the size

[ This Message was edited by: russman on 2002-05-29 13:19 ]

climbinganne

May 29, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #8 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey jules...I got the poison oak too....arms, legs and a bit on the face.

Mark, I remembered your story so the TEVA's are being washed twice....hehe need them for SLC.

AND Kagunkie....I tried to warn you that you are in the poison...but what did you do???? YOU picked it up and rubbed it on your face telling me it wasn't poison oak...HAHA...how's your face??? I read some info today about poison and it said it can take up to two weeks to appear...dude, I'm laughing so hard, but am still worried about you!!!

fo_d

May 29, 2002, 7:28 PM
Post #9 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh man, poison oak is nasty stuff to get into. kagunkie? on your face? dude thats gonna suck if it kick in, I hope it doesnt.

Les

Partner jules

May 29, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #10 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If Kagunkie gets it on his face anywhere near as bad as it is on my feet, he's going to be regretting it SO badly

*scratch* *scratch*

kagunkie

May 29, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #11 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It wasnt poison oak! Geez do I have to tell you again? You must have picked it up somewhere els. I dont remember rubbing anything on my face, maby it was during the twilight zone?
Heh heh anyway hope you'r injuries heal up real quick.

kagunkie

May 29, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #12 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just one question I'd like to ask. Did anyone suggest to juliana that it might be a good idea to tie her hair back? That escapade could very easily have ended in a serious accident. I'm glad noone was hurt and hope we climbers with long hair will remember that hair getting cought in you'r rapelling devise can cause a very dangerous situation. TIE IT BACK! and stay safe.

clymber

May 30, 2002, 12:23 AM
Post #13 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keith
I guess they didnt get the hint after they saw my hair pulled back..maybe next time they will listen to me

ivan2climb

May 30, 2002, 1:14 AM
Post #14 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys I had a great time!

It was nice to meet such good climbers. Thanks for all your help and beta. I hope I get to meet you all again and go climbing some more. That was my first time on real rock, and I loved it, and I'm totally addicted. I'm even willing to be good so my Mom will take me again.

Thanks Karen for the Jumbalaya, it was awesome!

Juliana, I hope your head and feet feel better soon.

Darkside thanks for the username!

Adam, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

And thanks to all who shared with me.

See you soon

[ This Message was edited by: ivan2climb on 2002-05-29 18:15 ]

alpinebunny

May 30, 2002, 2:04 AM
Post #15 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh man ....Poison oak......It sucks to itch, forget the calamine, get hydrocortisone cream and take Ibuprofen, it will work much better. Ask your pharmacist.

It was great to meet everyone form RC.com. All were generous and sweet. The Gunks will be my home away from home until I move out West. Even strangers were helpful. It is a great place. Even though I couldn't climb due to injury it still inspired me. I wonder how I will feel when I see Yosemite and J tree?

My son Ivan has not been the same since he came back. I may have trouble keeping up with him soon.

Juls, you go girl...I'll be in touch with you soon.

It's the people who make the difference. I'm glad to have meet you all.

Thanks RC.com

Till then

Partner rrrADAM

May 30, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #16 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More detailed reply about the Gunks here.

fiend

May 30, 2002, 2:49 AM
Post #17 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Poison oak??!? You mean where I set up my tent? I guess I shouldn't have used it to wipe on that late night bathroom break

For the record, Jules, you do rock and it was awesome sharing a belay ledge with you

climbinganne

May 30, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #18 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keith lemme refresh yer old brain here and now...
we found that old dead tree..I said, "gimme the saw"...hehe...i started to saw and you laughed at my attempt to saw. So you took it away from me. I said, "hey watch out for the poison!"...you said, "that ain't no poison"...i said, "yes it is it's oak, 5 leaves, i was a girlscout, and i'm allergic to it" Then you reached down pulled a hand full of it off the dead tree and said' "watch this!" and you rubbed it on your face. Then i said, "don't expect kisses from me tonite"..HAHAHAHA. Now stop doing the drugs dude!!! You may not be able to grow new brain cells, but you can preserve the ones you still have!

kagunkie

May 30, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #19 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK if thats the story you want to tell who am I to disagree with you? heh I was only there at the time how would I know? hehehe
I didnt rub anything on my face.
How do you imagine these things?

darkside

May 30, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #20 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey were you guys rubbing that stuff or trying to smoke it
I had a great time and hated to leave, I think the rain was trying to help me start the 10.15pm departure. Did the party wind up in alpinebunny's basecamp tent?
There's also one character present that no one has mentioned yet, what about Enu(sp)? Though I doubt she could ever log in to RC.com on her own
If any of you find yourselves lost in the land of no-ice (around here this last winter) remember it is a condition of entry to Canada that you have to PM me. I would be happy to climb with any of you again. Maybe as soon as SLC.

Partner jules

May 30, 2002, 12:58 PM
Post #21 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Just one question I'd like to ask. Did anyone suggest to juliana that it might be a good idea to tie her hair back?

It actually WAS tied back. Apparently, not well enough, though.

kagunkie

May 30, 2002, 1:37 PM
Post #22 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Juliana, sorry you had to learn that one the hard way. I'm shure it wasnt a good experience and was one you'll not soon forget. Does it still hurt? I hope not. You did a great job and it was a privelage to meet you. Hope to see you soon.

julianas_mom

May 30, 2002, 3:33 PM
Post #23 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
I just wanted to send out a huge thanks for all the help you guys gave Jul this weekend at the Gunks. I was a bit (!) apprehensive about driving 6 hours to camp and climb with people I'd never met, but I soon discovered that my fears were unfounded. (At least no one SEEMED to be a homicidal maniac, anyway.) It was a great experience for Jul, one that I'm sure will always be at the top of her favorite times list.

I_karen--you are the best. Thanks sooo much for all your help. You're going to make a great mom someday. Sorry I couldn't let you adopt Jul--I've gotten kind of used to having her around. rrradam--thanks for your help as well, and thanks for not kicking our butts out of your campsite. Don't feel badly that you couldn't break into my car Fiend--I hope you can make it oot to NH so we can all talk aboot climbing again. (I know, it's completely unoriginal to razz you about it, but it's soooo fun!) Darkside--since we're on the subject of cute accents....your's is the best. Clymber--I only climbed about 10 feet before I chickened out, so you didn't miss anything. Kagunkie--Jul DID have her hair pulled back. One of her ponytails got caught in the ATC. ClimbingAnne--I really don't think it's poison oak that Jul has. Alpinebunny and Ivan2climb--we can't wait for you guys to come climb with us (okay, with Jul) in NH!
Thanks again to all.
Jul's mom aka Diane

i.karen
Deleted

May 30, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #24 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jules you are the great!! Adam and I hope our ten kids turn out just like you!!
I won't reveal how many times I have got my ponytails stuck in the ATC.

Darkside all I can say is you crack me up and it was a pleasure to climb with you!!

Lou I'll pick up my dog at SLC as planned!!

Anne, thanks for the amazing champange!!
Sorry to hear about the big tree that fell on your house. I hope your house is ok!!

Jules Mom, thanks for you hospitality and the Mango recipe. You have brought up a wonderful daughter. We will still adopt her any time! Even if it's just for the summer!!

Marie, thanks for crab rangoons and great company.

Ivene you did a great job at climbing and hopefully we will see you on the west coast soon.

Keith, I really liked your big gun

Sincerely Tricia
You get it????

climbinganne

May 30, 2002, 5:45 PM
Post #25 of 37 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I GOT IT i.trisha...and the a great champagne was well deserved for a great lady, I enjoyed sharing it will all the wonderful women and gurl-kagunkie too, haha!!

Jules-mom...never said I was a GREAT girl scout

I must say through all the injury and pain of itching...my side hurts the worse...from LMAO!!!!! Thanks again everyone!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook