Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

killclimbz

Nov 5, 2004, 8:30 PM
Post #76 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range Snow Sliders Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, here is the skinny on the snowpack. Yeah, it's a little sketch, but it is every year in Colorado. No big surprises there. Yesterday at Berthoud Pass I dug 3 pits on North facing aspects above three line. There was a pretty good sized soft slab on top of marbles basically. So, you really don't want to get on something steep and large for sure. At least in that area. I didn't go as high as the top of Mt Russell, and the snow conditions there could be 100% different. In general there is a fair amount of granular, loose unconsolidated snow out there. Good travel habits are needed. The snow does seem to get much more stable below tree line. I dug a pit and confirmed that, but it was in just one spot.

So is it a little sketchy out there? Yes, it is a little more than usual at this time of year. Can you still get out and avoid avalanches and have a good time? Absolutely.

Partner nextascent

Nov 5, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #77 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So is it a little sketchy out there? Yes, it is a little more than usual at this time of year. Can you still get out and avoid avalanches and have a good time? Absolutely.

Okey dokey then! Thx. 8^)

killclimbz

Nov 5, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #78 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I haven't heard much from the new ones joing our little rc.com outings, Vince and Skibs, I'm assuming you guys are in for Sunday, but I got your numbers so I will call both of you.
For the others that I don't get a pm from I am shooting for 8:30 at the Last General Store at the base of Berthoud Pass. Gives everyone a chance to get some last second supplies before we go into the Gulch. I do work tomorrow, so I will be online. You should be able to PM me until about 4:30pm tomorrow.

killclimbz

Nov 5, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #79 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ok, I haven't heard much from the new ones joing our little rc.com outings, Vince and Skibs, I'm assuming you guys are in for Sunday, but I got your numbers so I will call both of you.
For the others that I don't get a pm from I am shooting for 8:30 at the Last General Store at the base of Berthoud Pass. Gives everyone a chance to get some last second supplies before we go into the Gulch. I do work tomorrow, so I will be online. You should be able to PM me until about 4:30pm tomorrow.

Dood, I'm in. Been practicing my form in my head.

Off to the land of ice first thing tomorrow morning, so let's chat either Saturday eve or early AM Sunday.

I'm bringing the sammiches! :wink:

Excellent!

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 5, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #80 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet! I have some other folks who are going to Berthoud on Sunday as well. Was it REALLY bad on your board? I just got a new one for the season and will find an older sketchy one if conditions are questionable.

Yeah, snow!!!!

wannabe

Nov 6, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #81 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KC, I'm in :P I even got the AT set-up finished.

killclimbz

Nov 6, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #82 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
KC, I'm in :P I even got the AT set-up finished.

Nice, we'll see ya at the Last General Store at 8:30. I'm still snowshoeing.... :cry:

Partner nextascent

Nov 6, 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #83 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Omfg [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eeps...well first day on snow and I was grinnin like a fool. That is, until I got swept off my feet by a boarder. The board came down a second time in an extremely painful/personal area :oops: ...blek. I'm "iced" now (brrr, this is just wrong) but not likely going to make it tomorrow. :cry:

I'll go waddle away to my corner now.

killclimbz

Nov 6, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #84 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Re: Omfg [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Eeps...well first day on snow and I was grinnin like a fool. That is, until I got swept off my feet by a boarder. The board came down a second time in an extremely painful/personal area :oops: ...blek. I'm "iced" now (brrr, this is just wrong) but not likely going to make it tomorrow. :cry:

Ow, ow, ow, ow, well catch ya on the next trip. Much less crowded in the backcountry btw...

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 7, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #85 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ow, ow, ow, ow, well catch ya on the next trip. Much less crowded in the backcountry btw...

Yeah OUCH! KC, Skibs, it's been warm down here in Denver today. Are things still good up there for tomorrow? Can't wait!

wanderinfree

Nov 7, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #86 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all! I'm going to have to bail on tomorrow as well. Had original intentions of climbing on Sat and boarding on Sun. ....but that ended up all reversed since I hit A-basin today instead. And if I don't get myself on some real rock in Eldo this weekend, I may go seriously insane.

Have fun, and let me know how the bc conditions were. Seemed really warm today. Good luck!

K

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 8, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #87 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Wannabe and Killclimbz, had a great time out today! Snow was great, esp given the weather. Hope Cody is ok. Later!

crazyfingers

Nov 8, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #88 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey folks, hit a-basin saturday... the lines were ugly. Stopped and took a look at the pass, lots of folks, not to much snow... Gonna wait until it doesn't take a core shot to get down. Hope you folks had fun.

KT

shorty

Nov 8, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #89 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Eeps...well first day on snow and I was grinnin like a fool. That is, until I got swept off my feet by a boarder....I'm "iced" now (brrr, this is just wrong)
I was at Copper with a teammate, practicing touron slalom with the boarders stopped in the middle of runs, reclining face down in the snow. We probably gave them enough face and chest shots with slush from strategically timed turns to make up for your adventure.

killclimbz

Nov 9, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #90 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Wannabe and Killclimbz, had a great time out today! Snow was great, esp given the weather. Hope Cody is ok. Later!

Yeah, Cody is good. He had to get 6 stiches or so on his leg, but nothing major other than that. He's out for the next two weeks.

In reply to:
But, how about Monarch next weekend, as you mentioned? Sunday? Drive down the night before? I'd be up for it!

As I mentioned above, Cody got himself an injury back in the gulch. He can't play with us for at least two weeks :cry: . He should be fine after that. I really want to get down to Monarch. Perhaps the weekend after his injury. It's such great place for dogs.

I am also now officially off on Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays. So everyone that has been in on the action, are Saturdays ok? I could very easily go back to BG on Saturday. The place really seems to have the best snow around. I am open to some other areas.
Is the Saturday three weeks out ok for those who are interested in a Monarch trip? I know that is Thanksgiving weekend. I am even good for the weekend after that. First one of December. Is that a better idea. I know it's a little far out, but then again the conditions should only be better and Cody will be good to go.

killclimbz

Nov 9, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #91 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cody got cut? My little tri-color fuzzy boyfriend? Was my other bf Sam around? Gee willikers, I hate it when the boys get hurt. If he needs some bones, let me know! :wink:

Saturdays are still good! Monarch opens November 19th, but that's no nevermind. Let's keep talking about this.....

Really, really warm up here today. Stormclouds moving in from the west. Hope it means snow.....

Yeah Cody either got cut by an edge, but it's on the inside of his leg, so more likely he caught a branch under the snow. You wouldn't of known he was injured by his attitude. I just noticed the blood on the snow and saw the nasty wound. He wanted to keep hiking. Sam and Bucky were not with us that day. They will be on plenty of adventures with us though.

I am up for other areas. Anyone know what the coverage is looking like on Quandary or some of the other local 14'ers? That could be some special backcountry torture and fun...

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 9, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #92 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am also now officially off on Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays. So everyone that has been in on the action, are Saturdays ok? I could very easily go back to BG on Saturday. The place really seems to have the best snow around. I am open to some other areas.
Is the Saturday three weeks out ok for those who are interested in a Monarch trip? I know that is Thanksgiving weekend. I am even good for the weekend after that. First one of December. Is that a better idea. I know it's a little far out, but then again the conditions should only be better and Cody will be good to go.

I'd be up for weekend after Thanksgiving weekend and hopefully my beacon will be here. I'm going to be out road tripping after this weekend and until then. Let it snow!

killclimbz

Nov 9, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #93 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, I haven't done Bierstadt. I think someone posted earlier this year that there was some decent snow there. If the weather is not looking too harsh, which it might, I would be down for that. I think there might be snow in the forecast for Sat.

killclimbz

Nov 10, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #94 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Sunday in BG sounds good to me and I am riding my splitboard back there this time!

killclimbz

Nov 10, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #95 of 568 (46583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, Sunday in BG sounds good to me and I am riding my splitboard back there this time!

Ok, I know I am not feeling great today, but I mean Saturday...

Also I don't know if anyone bought a new Barryvox Transceiver this year but you might want to be aware of this.

11/8-- Mammut has issued a "Preventative Recall" of it’s most recent series of Barryvox Avalanche Transceivers. Tension cracks may appear in the red plastic casing of some of the Mammut Barryvox Opto 3000 avalanche transceivers produced for the winter 2004/05, possibly allowing the electronics to be exposed to moisture. Although the quality of the plastic was corrected immediately after the problem was detected, to avoid any risk for the user, Mammut Sports Group AG has decided to recall all the devices of the production series in question and remove them from the market. The units came on the market in August 2004 and were produced for the winter of 2004/2005. All of the non-recalled devices produced with the new plastic have a red sticker on the box reading: “new case.” Beacons with the following serial numbers are being recalled: M0080000 – M0088419, M0089616 – M0089800, M0090000 – M0090419, the serial number can be found inside the battery compartment under the bar code. Detailed information regarding this recall can be found in a PDF file on the company's barryvox.com web site Beyond that, the Mammut Sports Group AG has established a hotline at +41 (0)62 769 81 99 which is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central European Time. In the USA, recalled units can be returned to the distributor,
Climb High Inc, 135 Northside, Drive Shelburne, VT 05482. Climb High can be reached at 800-451-5127 or by email at info@climbhigh.com.

From Telemarktips.com

wannabe

Nov 10, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #96 of 568 (46585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Darn it! New snow and I'm stuck with other responsibilities this weekend. Have fun...I should be able to make the Monarch trip in the next couple of weekends, when we decided on a date. :D

killclimbz

Nov 10, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #97 of 568 (46585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Darn it! New snow and I'm stuck with other responsibilities this weekend. Have fun...I should be able to make the Monarch trip in the next couple of weekends, when we decided on a date. :D

Hey man,

Sorry I had to bail on you guys last Sunday. Yeah, I am definitely jonez'in to get down to Monarch. I'll keep ya in the loop.

wannabe

Nov 10, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #98 of 568 (46585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hey man,

Sorry I had to bail on you guys last Sunday. Yeah, I am definitely jonez'in to get down to Monarch. I'll keep ya in the loop.

That's Kewl, I'm glad Cody is OK. We made another run after descending the peak you bailed on. All said, it was a pretty decent day. What's going on with Charlie? Did we scare him away from the bc?

nthusiastj

Nov 10, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #99 of 568 (46585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ANyone else doing Keystone this weekend?

killclimbz

Nov 10, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #100 of 568 (46585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Hey man,

That's Kewl, I'm glad Cody is OK. We made another run after descending the peak you bailed on. All said, it was a pretty decent day. What's going on with Charlie? Did we scare him away from the bc?

Nah, Charlie's snowshoes sucked so he ran laps at treeline. He just couldn't climb to where we were. I'm sure you'll see plenty of him on his AT setup this year.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook